The Empire Strikes Out - Inside the Battle of Hoth

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 13, 2013, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tonitrus

Indeed, a Wrath of Khan remake?  The kind of outrage that would generate might have you might end up with Trekkies burning their Klingon-English dictionaries in the streets.

Viking

Quote from: Tonitrus on February 19, 2013, 06:46:01 PM
Indeed, a Wrath of Khan remake?  The kind of outrage that would generate might have you might end up with Trekkies burning their Klingon-English dictionaries in the streets.

Ricardo Montalban may be dead, but he's still in Montalban stage 4 of his career.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

jimmy olsen

That reminds me of one of my favorite Onion articles

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Space Seed remake, not Wrath of Khan remake. :nerd:

Money--I don't think it's Khan, but I think it's a Khan-like character (unless this has been fully squashed), and I don't think it's Mitchell.  Like I said, I think both are potentially good ideas to mine.  Guess we'll see in May. :)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Tonitrus

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2013, 07:15:50 PM

Space Seed remake, not Wrath of Khan remake. :nerd:

Money--I don't think it's Khan, but I think it's a Khan-like character (unless this has been fully squashed), and I don't think it's Mitchell.  Like I said, I think both are potentially good ideas to mine.  Guess we'll see in May. :)

I was speaking of a WoK remake in general terms, not specific to these circumstances.

Ideologue

Well, O Brother Where Art Thou wasn't inspired by The Iliad. :blurgh:
Kinemalogue

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2013, 06:21:35 PM
Star Wars was a movie made by movie guys.  Setting in space allowed for the tricked-out effects but the action and the content are based on westerns, shorts, and old war pics.  Why are Star Destroyers so big?  So they could have the iconic opening shot.  Why is there such heavy usage of 1-man fighters?  Because the guys who made it grew up watching news reels, comics and features with piston-engined dogfights.  Why four legged Imperial walkers?  Because they look menacing and a little gothic.  Why would the Empire put so much resources building a giant planet killing structure itself the size of the planet?  Because that is kind of thing that a Bond villain would do, or Fu Manchu if his cGDP was higher.  Trying to take all these characteristics and fashion some kind of logically consistent "universe" out of them not only is a fool's errand, it misses the point in a unintentionally comic way.
This sort of thinking is silly.  Wasting time by trying to imagine a universe out of scenes from a movie is a leisure time activity, and is no better or worse than drinking and attempting to determine which wine is best.  If people weren't wasting their time with this sort of thing, they'd have no choice but to start thinking about how to solve social probles.  Since the result of that would inevitably be lawyers being hunted down and shot like animals, it's probably advantageous for you that we're taking the time to do this.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2013, 07:47:31 PM

This sort of thinking is silly.  Wasting time by trying to imagine a universe out of scenes from a movie is a leisure time activity, and is no better or worse than drinking and attempting to determine which wine is best.  If people weren't wasting their time with this sort of thing, they'd have no choice but to start thinking about how to solve social probles.  Since the result of that would inevitably be lawyers being hunted down and shot like animals, it's probably advantageous for you that we're taking the time to do this.

I liked how they solved the Lawyer problem on Ajuris 5 :nerd:

^^^ In Blackest Night, episode 4-5 of Justice League (animated series)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on February 19, 2013, 06:09:18 PM
Quote from: derspiess on February 19, 2013, 02:14:55 PM
Tattoo and short hair on that one? Boo.

You was looking at the tat? Homo.

She ruined the pic and should've been photoshopped out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: dps on February 19, 2013, 09:56:17 AM
Psychic abilities in B5 seemed pretty darn powerful, and I thought that there was at least a genetic component to psychic abilities in that work.  And while I will agree that psychic abilities weren't central to B5 as the Force was to SW, I'd say cutting them and PsyCorps out of B5 would definately have been a significant change.

I agree that the change would have been a change, but there was never anything magical about psychic abilities in B5, nor were they in any way central to the plot. 

The force was never presented in the first three movies as anything but magic.  There's nothing wrong with that; the One Ring was never presented as anything but magic, either.  Nor superman's powers, etc.  My point simply is that fantasies lend themselves to analysis of characters, but not, in most cases, plot elements or "science."  Analyzing Vader's tactics as though they had been designed to meet the criteria for military tactics looks to me like a mug's game.  Noting that Vader wanted to capture Luke and not kill him (as the Emperor wanted him to do) is perfectly valid analysis; debating whether Hoth had a whole-planet shield or just a local one is not.

It's just an observation.  People who take it personally have bigger problems than just being fanboys.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PJL on February 19, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
But Star Trek has the Q who are far more powerful than anyone using the Force in Star Wars.

True.  I never watched those episodes (other than that awful last ep), but I know they existed.  Those were pretty much full fantasy eps, but weren't central to the ST concept like the force was to Star Wars.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 19, 2013, 02:57:11 PM
Like that entire plotline where Shadows tried to eliminate or control telepaths because they were harmful to them and the whole 5th season.  Yeah, nothing significant ;)
Exactly.  That could have been dropped with no impact on the story.

Bayraktar!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2013, 10:10:26 PM
Quote from: PJL on February 19, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
But Star Trek has the Q who are far more powerful than anyone using the Force in Star Wars.

True.  I never watched those episodes (other than that awful last ep), but I know they existed.  Those were pretty much full fantasy eps, but weren't central to the ST concept like the force was to Star Wars.
I'd say the Borg were central to the story arc of The Next Generation, and Q was involved with that.

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2013, 07:47:31 PM

Lawyers were thriving quite nicely before Star Wars.
I'll take my chances.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson