The Empire Strikes Out - Inside the Battle of Hoth

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 13, 2013, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 12:52:21 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 19, 2013, 12:20:31 AM
Now here is some intellectualizing of a movie that doesn't need intellectualizing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9458558/Bruce-Willis-would-have-needed-a-bigger-bomb-to-stop-asteroid-scientists-say.html

I imagine that not only would a Texas size rock be seen in time, it would have been documented decades ago.  I mean, a body of that size would be classified as a Dwarf planet.  People were spotting the big rocks of the asteroid belt in the early 19th century.

Yeah, an Asteriod as big as Texas would be bigger than Ceres. It would have been discovered in the 18th century.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Ideologue on February 18, 2013, 06:34:23 PM
Right.  I mean, taking Babylon 5, I don't think you can really say that telepathy/telekinesis and jump gates are intellectually superior to the Force and hyperdrives, given that all of the above are based on made-up nonsense (and are practically, albeit not exactly, identical in function).  At best, they may have been more coherently described and depicted.  And if coherence is all of what the intellectual value of a work is about, Star Trek taken as a whole is the ultimate in anti-intellectual garbage (and that argument has been made, usually by self-righteous ultra-nerds who think scientific fidelity or, more often, internal continuity is the beginning and end of all analysis or even possibility for enjoyment).

When the central concept of a work is magical, like "the Force," the work is a fantasy work.  It doesn't matter how The Force works; all that matter is that it is incredibly powerful and only those born with the right genes can use it.  The Force is thus closer to The Ring (whose composition and exact weight we never discover, but we don't care) than it is to telepathy (which existed in B5, for instance, but could have been eliminated entirely without changing anything significant).

One could make the argument that Star Trek "is the ultimate in anti-intellectual garbage" only if get whacked on the head so hard that you forget about Star Wars, because there is no conceptual approach under which Star Trek is more anti-intellectual than Star Wars.  Sure, there is a lot about Star Trek, or B5, or any other series that one can question, but my point is that Star Wars was never designed as anything but a fantasy, and so trying to explain it in terms of science is foolish.  The fact that Star Wars has space ships does not make it SF.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

A fantasy about trade agreements and senate debates? Unlikely, and if actually the case, sick.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 18, 2013, 07:12:38 PM
The demarcation line between the two types of sci-fi as grumbler laid out is simply whether or not grumbler is a fanboy of it or not.  :P

True.  I am much more a fanboy of the first three SW movies than I am of ST:TOS.

And by "true" I meant, of course, "false."  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2013, 05:47:32 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 18, 2013, 05:51:15 PM
I don't accept your assertion that sci-fi is inherently superior to fantasy.
I don't accept your assertion that I said anything about "inherently superior."
You're the one who used the word 'superior works'.  I'm just going to assume that your descent into grumbler-fu is a concession.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2013, 08:30:06 AM
You're the one who used the word 'superior works'.  I'm just going to assume that your descent into grumbler-fu is a concession.
I used the phrase 'superior works" in a context.  I'm just going to assume that you are now ignoring that context because you concede that including the context would reveal how foolish your position is.

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2013, 05:57:02 AM
Right.  I mean, taking Babylon 5, I don't think you can really say that telepathy/telekinesis and jump gates are intellectually superior to the Force and hyperdrives, given that all of the above are based on made-up nonsense (and are practically, albeit not exactly, identical in function).  At best, they may have been more coherently described and depicted.  And if coherence is all of what the intellectual value of a work is about, Star Trek taken as a whole is the ultimate in anti-intellectual garbage (and that argument has been made, usually by self-righteous ultra-nerds who think scientific fidelity or, more often, internal continuity is the beginning and end of all analysis or even possibility for enjoyment).

When the central concept of a work is magical, like "the Force," the work is a fantasy work.  It doesn't matter how The Force works; all that matter is that it is incredibly powerful and only those born with the right genes can use it.  The Force is thus closer to The Ring (whose composition and exact weight we never discover, but we don't care) than it is to telepathy (which existed in B5, for instance, but could have been eliminated entirely without changing anything significant).

Psychic abilities in B5 seemed pretty darn powerful, and I thought that there was at least a genetic component to psychic abilities in that work.  And while I will agree that psychic abilities weren't central to B5 as the Force was to SW, I'd say cutting them and PsyCorps out of B5 would definately have been a significant change.

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Neil

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2013, 09:34:42 AM
Quote from: Neil on February 19, 2013, 08:30:06 AM
I used the phrase 'superior works" in a context.  I'm just going to assume that you are now ignoring that context because you concede that including the context would reveal how foolish your position is.
My position was that you're wrong and a bit of an ass.  You've never done anything to refute it.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Why does "psychic powers", get a pass in sci-fi works?  I mean, it's magic.  Why does it not automatically shift the work into the realm of fantasy?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: PDH on February 19, 2013, 11:06:47 AM
Quote from: Kleves on February 18, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 18, 2013, 05:09:49 PM
An X-Wing can take more punishment.
Tell that to Porkins.

:( Porkins died a hero to tubby space pilots everywhere.

His weight probably contributed to his X-Wing crashing or whatever.

I don't think the fat snowspeeder pilot who found Han and Luke ever got the acclaim he deserved.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 12:16:53 PM
Why does "psychic powers", get a pass in sci-fi works?  I mean, it's magic.  Why does it not automatically shift the work into the realm of fantasy?

You mean like Betazoids?
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 12:16:53 PM

It's the next step in human evolution. You don't think that evolution is science?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PJL

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2013, 05:57:02 AM

One could make the argument that Star Trek "is the ultimate in anti-intellectual garbage" only if get whacked on the head so hard that you forget about Star Wars, because there is no conceptual approach under which Star Trek is more anti-intellectual than Star Wars.  Sure, there is a lot about Star Trek, or B5, or any other series that one can question, but my point is that Star Wars was never designed as anything but a fantasy, and so trying to explain it in terms of science is foolish.  The fact that Star Wars has space ships does not make it SF.

But Star Trek has the Q who are far more powerful than anyone using the Force in Star Wars.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PJL on February 19, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
But Star Trek has the Q who are far more powerful than anyone using the Force in Star Wars.

And with a much better sense of humor.