The Empire Strikes Out - Inside the Battle of Hoth

Started by MadImmortalMan, February 13, 2013, 08:08:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on February 19, 2013, 01:13:04 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 12:16:53 PM
Why does "psychic powers", get a pass in sci-fi works?  I mean, it's magic.  Why does it not automatically shift the work into the realm of fantasy?

You mean like Betazoids?

I don't know what that is.  Technically a lot of stuff in sci-fi is impossible (faster then light travel for instance), but the spoon benders always have annoyed me.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

With the Q it could simply be technology/evolution so advanced as to be indistinguishable to magic. Hyper-advanced techno-mages. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Then get used to it with the next Star Trek film because that's what it's all about:  with Benedict Cumberbatch as Kirk's old friend-turned-nemesis Lt. Gary Mitchell.

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 19, 2013, 05:57:02 AM
telepathy (which existed in B5, for instance, but could have been eliminated entirely without changing anything significant).
Like that entire plotline where Shadows tried to eliminate or control telepaths because they were harmful to them and the whole 5th season.  Yeah, nothing significant ;)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: PJL on February 19, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
But Star Trek has the Q who are far more powerful than anyone using the Force in Star Wars.
The power to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.  :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

The Minsky Moment

Star Wars was a movie made by movie guys.  Setting in space allowed for the tricked-out effects but the action and the content are based on westerns, shorts, and old war pics.  Why are Star Destroyers so big?  So they could have the iconic opening shot.  Why is there such heavy usage of 1-man fighters?  Because the guys who made it grew up watching news reels, comics and features with piston-engined dogfights.  Why four legged Imperial walkers?  Because they look menacing and a little gothic.  Why would the Empire put so much resources building a giant planet killing structure itself the size of the planet?  Because that is kind of thing that a Bond villain would do, or Fu Manchu if his cGDP was higher.  Trying to take all these characteristics and fashion some kind of logically consistent "universe" out of them not only is a fool's errand, it misses the point in a unintentionally comic way. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 02:03:08 PM
Then get used to it with the next Star Trek film because that's what it's all about:  with Benedict Cumberbatch as Kirk's old friend-turned-nemesis Lt. Gary Mitchell.

I don't believe that has been confirmed.  My impression from the trailers was that Cumberdict was gonna be a genetically engineered fellow from the 1990s 21st century that was not Khan, but was, you know, basically Khan.

I think I'd rather see a remake of Space Seed than Where No Man Has Gone Before, but they're both pretty good, I guess.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 06:24:55 PM
:secret:  Most movies are made by movie guys.

When dealing with people that do things like write detailed analyses about Darth Vader's operational art, it's best to spell out everything explicitly.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 19, 2013, 06:30:44 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 19, 2013, 06:24:55 PM
:secret:  Most movies are made by movie guys.

When dealing with people that do things like write detailed analyses about Darth Vader's operational art, it's best to spell out everything explicitly.

Yeah, that whole thing is pretty weird.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on February 19, 2013, 06:29:39 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 19, 2013, 02:03:08 PM

I don't believe that has been confirmed.  My impression from the trailers was that Cumberdict was gonna be a genetically engineered fellow from the 1990s 21st century that was not Khan, but was, you know, basically Khan.

I think I'd rather see a remake of Space Seed than Where No Man Has Gone Before, but they're both pretty good, I guess.

The Khan rumors have already been squashed.  And quite frankly, I think going back and rebooting Khan would be a loser premise with the fan base.  The Gary Mitchell angle can work better.