News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Valentine's Day...

Started by Ed Anger, February 13, 2013, 09:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on February 15, 2014, 01:52:35 AM
All-in-all, a pretty perfect Valentine's Day. Oh! AND it snowed! :wub: :wub: :wub:

I sent Mrs. Valmy flowers and chocolate because, it seems, I score most when everybody at work sees her get stuff than just giving to her when she gets home.  However we had the kids so we just ate Valentine's pizza and spent time with them last night.  Much smooching and cuddling though :wub: even though I was exhausted from another brutal week.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 05:18:34 PM
I score most when everybody at work sees her get stuff than just giving to her when she gets home. 
Smart man. :cool:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Valmy

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on February 15, 2014, 04:03:06 AM
http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/02/prison-made-flowers-how-valentines-day-sells-us-patriarchy-disguised-romance

:hmm:

QuoteAnd so I will take my flowers and my boyfriend's coat, but I will keep my name, my goals, and my independence. You can open the door for me, but that doesn't make me yours.

So the message here is...what?  I did not get the idea that keeping the last name meant you were not being defined by being somebody's daughter...isn't that exactly what taking one of your parent's last names mean? 

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quote from: Valmy on February 15, 2014, 05:43:05 PM
http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2014/02/prison-made-flowers-how-valentines-day-sells-us-patriarchy-disguised-romance

QuoteAnd so I will take my flowers and my boyfriend's coat, but I will keep my name, my goals, and my independence. You can open the door for me, but that doesn't make me yours.

So the message here is...what? 

The author is a cunt.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

So the message here is...what?  I did not get the idea that keeping the last name meant you were not being defined by being somebody's daughter...isn't that exactly what taking one of your parent's last names mean?

I dunno. Max and I came up with our own last name and chucked both his and my family names. I'm not sure what that means in terms of who owns what where when or how, but we now have a really cool last name. :cool:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Ed Anger

Quote from: merithyn on February 15, 2014, 06:51:46 PM

I dunno. Max and I came up with our own last name and chucked both his and my family names. I'm not sure what that means in terms of who owns what where when or how, but we now have a really cool last name. :cool:

Johann Gambolputty de von Ausfern -schplenden -schlitter -crasscrenbon -fried -digger -dangle -dungle -burstein -von -knacker -thrasher -apple -banger -horowitz -ticolensic -grander -knotty -spelltinkle -grandlich -grumblemeyer -spelterwasser -kürstlich -himble -eisen -bahnwagen -gutenabend -bitte -eine -nürnberger -bratwurstle -gerspurten -mit -zweimache -luber -hundsfut -gumberaber -shönendanker -kalbsfleisch -mittler -raucher von Hautkopft of Ulm.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

No, though that would be a totally awesome last name. :w00t:

CountDeMoney

So the message here is...what? 

The message is "you wouldn't want to share a cab ride with her, let alone a relationship" is what it seems to me.  I bet her boyfriend is one of those mousy, passive types she met at Vassar that likes to cuddle because sex is too violent, cries after it anyway and probably pees sitting down like derspiess.

QuoteYou can open the door for me, but that doesn't make me yours.

I wasn't trying to make you mine, I was simply being polite but go fuck yourself then.  Open your own fucking door before I make your face do it for me.   :hug:

garbon

I don't understand why you wouldn't sit down at home.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 15, 2014, 07:24:28 PM
QuoteYou can open the door for me, but that doesn't make me yours.

I wasn't trying to make you mine, I was simply being polite but go fuck yourself then.  Open your own fucking door before I make your face do it for me.   :hug:

This one is a killer for me. There are a lot of things at play with the whole "open the door for me" thing.

First, if I get to the door first, I feel like a total heel if I don't open it for whomever is behind me, male or female. It's the polite thing to do. But... a lot of those doors are heavy, really heavy, and I'm older and more broken than I used to be. Sometimes, it really is a struggle for me to open that damn door. Which means that if I glance behind me and notice that the person is older/looks more feeble than I am, I feel all the more guilty if I don't open the door for them. Except that usually, the older a guy is, the more put-out he is that a woman opened the door for him. Which I totally get, because I hate it when I feel like I can't open the door because it's too heavy, so I'm more likely to be stubborn about it and try to open the door anyway which means that the guy behind me is more irritated that I'm in front of him, blocking his way, because I wouldn't just let him open the damn door in the first place.

I like automatic doors best. :blush:

Admiral Yi

No one can take offense if you go through first and hold the door open from the inside.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 15, 2014, 11:48:34 PM
No one can take offense if you go through first and hold the door open from the inside.

But that's so awkward. :(

MadImmortalMan

Let Max open it and give him a look of adoration in return.  :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on February 15, 2014, 11:59:24 PM
But that's so awkward. :(

Try bracing your elbow against your hip.