IOC drops wrestling from the Olympics in favor of Golf

Started by jimmy olsen, February 12, 2013, 08:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2013, 02:36:47 AM
Meh, on one hand it's a tradition, but on the other, with the changing social mores, do closeted gay men really have to resort to aggressive cuddling in public to get their groove on?

I'd be okay if they replaced it with turkish oil wrestling.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on February 13, 2013, 08:19:25 AM
Sports with popular yearly or semi-yearly competitions where the best in the world compete against each other shouldn't be included in the Olympics.  It should be a venue where athletes are given opportunities to compete on the world stage that wouldn't otherwise.  No tennis, golf or soccer.  Hockey has such a great tradition at the Olympics that it can stay.

I've seen this stance before but why? To make sure that it is a bunch of sports most people don't want to watch? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2013, 09:42:54 AM
I've seen this stance before but why? To make sure that it is a bunch of sports most people don't want to watch? :unsure:

Olympic soccer is pretty much a flop.  The top players cannot or do not play.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

frunk

Because the sports already have a world stage and a competition with the best players.  How is the olympics materially different in a competitive sense?

mongers

Sports with popular yearly or semi-yearly competitions where the best in the world compete against each other shouldn't be included in the Olympics.  It should be a venue where athletes are given opportunities to compete on the world stage that wouldn't otherwise.  No tennis, golf or soccer.  Hockey has such a great tradition at the Olympics that it can stay.

Yes I can go along with that, football has first or second greatest sporting event in the world plus several really strong continental contests, wedded to the intensity of the club game and player availability, I see little reason for football to be in the Olympics.   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: frunk on February 13, 2013, 09:52:40 AM

Because the sports already have a world stage and a competition with the best players.  How is the olympics materially different in a competitive sense?

I guess it depends on what you think the point of the Olympics should be.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2013, 09:48:52 AM

Olympic soccer is pretty much a flop.  The top players cannot or do not play.

Ok, so are you suggesting that if we removed the all sporting events that already have their own world stage tournaments/competitions that we'd see the same viewership/interest for the Olympics?

Valmy

Um huh?  Hockey has no equivalent tournament to the Olympics.  Soccer and the individual sports are the only ones that do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2013, 09:41:36 AM

Isn't that what got Tom Cruise trapped by the Scientologists in the first place?

Strix

I applaud the IOC for adding Tiger Woods to the next Olympics. How can wrestling compare to Tiger?

"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 13, 2013, 10:00:30 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 13, 2013, 09:41:36 AM

Isn't that what got Tom Cruise trapped by the Scientologists in the first place?

I'm not part of the Tom Cruise fan club so I've no idea.

Legbiter

This is bullshit. At least replace it with pankration then.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

Admiral Yi

One of the cool things about wrestling at the international level is the geographic dispersion. 

How can you not root for a sport practiced by Americans, Turks, Central Asians, Iranians, and Russians?

So many terrible sports they could have axed instead.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 13, 2013, 10:07:31 AM
One of the cool things about wrestling at the international level is the geographic dispersion. 

How can you not root for a sport practiced by Americans, Turks, Central Asians, Iranians, and Russians?

So many terrible sports they could have axed instead.

Agreed.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Martinus on February 13, 2013, 02:36:47 AM
Meh, on one hand it's a tradition, but on the other, with the changing social mores, do closeted gay men really have to resort to aggressive cuddling in public to get their groove on?

They should come out of the closet and practice diving instead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?