IOC drops wrestling from the Olympics in favor of Golf

Started by jimmy olsen, February 12, 2013, 08:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

They should have height divisions for track and field.  The 5' and under 100 meter dash would be awesome.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

OK I haven't found any reference to Greco-Roman being ended as an Olympic sport as opposed to Freestyle wrestling.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2013, 11:04:36 PM
They should have height divisions for track and field.  The 5' and under 100 meter dash would be awesome.

I think I saw that South Park episode.

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2013, 11:04:36 PM
hurdles
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

katmai

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 11:07:06 PM
OK I haven't found any reference to Greco-Roman being ended as an Olympic sport as opposed to Freestyle wrestling.

It's all wrestling.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

mongers

Quote from: katmai on February 12, 2013, 11:10:10 PM

It's all wrestling.

OK, thats an even worse call as in some ways it one of the sports most clearly referring back to the ancient games. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Fireblade

Gee, who would have thought that the IOC would drop a sport that has a large following outside of North America and Europe and add a boring "sport" that's dominated by white people. :rolleyes:

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 11:04:28 PM
Why do they have to drop sports at all in order to add some? It's the Olympics, it's supposed to be massive.

Expenses. Hosting Olympics is expensive, and the cost of it is a major concern for possible applicant cities; plus the perceived benefit is rather small.

As I wrote in the Miscellaneous Sports thread (thanks for not reading, Tim <_< ), I appreciate that the IOC is trying to keep the list of events relevant to public interest, but ditching a sport that has such a long history and tradition seems wrong.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Syt on February 13, 2013, 12:51:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 11:04:28 PM
Why do they have to drop sports at all in order to add some? It's the Olympics, it's supposed to be massive.

Expenses. Hosting Olympics is expensive, and the cost of it is a major concern for possible applicant cities; plus the perceived benefit is rather small.

As I wrote in the Miscellaneous Sports thread (thanks for not reading, Tim <_< ), I appreciate that the IOC is trying to keep the list of events relevant to public interest, but ditching a sport that has such a long history and tradition seems wrong.

Isn't it alot easier to have a little gym to do wrestling than a massive golf course?  Did they need some sort of really expensive venue just to do wrestling?  I do not get the cost angle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

No, that was aimed at the limited number of events comment in general.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Did you read Tim's article?  My quote that I replied with earlier was taken directly from it.  It clearly stated the loss of Greco-Roman.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Martinus

Meh, on one hand it's a tradition, but on the other, with the changing social mores, do closeted gay men really have to resort to aggressive cuddling in public to get their groove on?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 11:00:42 PM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 12, 2013, 10:57:34 PM
Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 10:50:31 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 12, 2013, 09:16:12 PM
Terrible, terrible decision.  Both on the sport to drop and on the sport to pick up.

Agreed.

Though I should point out that though wrestling is a founding sport of the modern Olympics, the tradition Greco-Roman form will continue in the games. (I think)
"As such, both freestyle (somewhat similar to what you see in American high schools and colleges) and Greco Roman, each of which dated back to the 1896 Games in Greece, will soon be history. Wrestling can try to get back in, but the odds are long."

Really ?

Why could they have cut back on some of the swimming events instead and trimmed some of the martial arts weight categories a bit.

I'd imagine the plethora of swimming and track events are profitable. So cutting down won't help them hold more other sports.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Sad for wrestling. Golf isn't going to make it, again. 2-3 games & then gone in favor of BMX freestyle jumping.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

frunk

Sports with popular yearly or semi-yearly competitions where the best in the world compete against each other shouldn't be included in the Olympics.  It should be a venue where athletes are given opportunities to compete on the world stage that wouldn't otherwise.  No tennis, golf or soccer.  Hockey has such a great tradition at the Olympics that it can stay.