IOC drops wrestling from the Olympics in favor of Golf

Started by jimmy olsen, February 12, 2013, 08:58:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Golf? I guess I could go along with it being added but not at the expense of wrestling, or many other sports. The article gives the reason for badminton that many poorer nations play it and really get into it, as opposed to Western and more affluent nations where it's mainly a thing to do at parties and barbecues. Same thing should apply to golf vs wrestling. I'd think more nations can get into wrestling than golf which is more of an affluent nation's activity. Besides, as the article states, sports like wrestling are primal activities, like running, swimming, etc.

I don't even like the idea of basketball being in there, and like it even less because pros play. And I guess that will be the way with golf. Maybe give Tiger Woods and who ever else are top golfers another venue to shine, like they need one. Nah, I'll never watch golf on the Olympics. I rarely watch any sport that's going to take a long time for one game, like basketball, soccer, baseball (is baseball an Olympic sport). Though I'll more likely watch soccer because it's something different to me.

The IOC just giving in to monetary or lobbying pressures, or something. Watering down the games. Pretty soon everyone will get a trophy just for competing!   ;)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on February 13, 2013, 01:00:00 AM
Isn't it alot easier to have a little gym to do wrestling than a massive golf course?  Did they need some sort of really expensive venue just to do wrestling?  I do not get the cost angle.

Yes cost may be more for golf, but revenue and marketing opportunities are much greater.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson