This Evenings State Of The Union Address.

Started by mongers, February 12, 2013, 06:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on February 12, 2013, 08:11:30 PM
Maybe Sandy Hook can be Obama's 9/11.  Sure, he didn't campaign on gun control, but it might be a good time to use the time to eliminate some of the more dangerous elements of American society.

MOLON LABIA-- erm, LABE
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 08:29:58 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 12, 2013, 08:24:35 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 12, 2013, 08:22:27 PM
It's not better or worse. Personally I think expressing ideas in simple language is more impressive than indulging in florid prose.

I definitely disagree. What is this - some sort of gross populist forum?
They're politicians operating in a representative republic with universal suffrage, so yes, yes it is.

That's why we have the electoral college. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 12, 2013, 08:29:58 PM
They're politicians operating in a representative republic with universal suffrage, so yes, yes it is.

So that means we all have to suffer?

mongers

Who are the two older men leading his way down to the floor, are they lawmakers/congressmen or some form of official usher ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 09:15:18 PM
Who are the two older men leading his way down to the floor, are they lawmakers/congressmen or some form of official usher ?

Contest winners, I believe.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

It almost sounded like he was promising to raise the Social Security age :wub:

Eh I shouldn't get my hopes up.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on February 12, 2013, 09:32:42 PM
It almost sounded like he was promising to raise the Social Security age :wub:

Eh I shouldn't get my hopes up.

I think that's a more negotiable point for him than people believe.

mongers

Good to see him emphasising climate change and this science behind it, then throwing down the gauntlet on the issue.

derspiess

Wow, this is the most outwardly arrogant president in my lifetime. 

Valmy

Quote from: derspiess on February 12, 2013, 09:37:51 PM
Wow, this is the most outwardly arrogant president in my lifetime. 

I guess he does not hide it behind modesty like Bill Clinton always did.

Yes I am being very very sarcastic and wondering if you were in a coma from 1992 until 2000.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

mongers

The stuff about repairing and improving the nations infrastructure seems common sense, something a modern economy needs.

Valmy

Quote from: mongers on February 12, 2013, 09:41:12 PM
The stuff about repairing and improving the nations infrastructure seems common sense, something a modern economy needs.

That is the kind of thing every President promises to do and never does.  Like helping the Middle Class.

derspiess

Oh FFS does he want to *expand* Head Start??  Wow.

derspiess

Okay, telling colleges to keep costs down.  Finally something good.