News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

The pope washing all those young men's feet.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sheilbh

Apparently it's a mixed prison. Traditionalists are outraged he may wash a woman's feet as he did when Archbishop :bleeding: :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Might as well post this here. An old catholic priest in Austria is sent into early retirement by his diocese. He's also banned from preaching over Easter.

In the past couple of years he has repeatedly referred to gays as "perverts", "disturbed homos", and that according to the Bible gaydom was a disease that needed to be exterminated. He also made inflammatory remarked towards Islam. He'd been warned several times, but his superiors decided to pull the plug.

Even though the mayor and a large number of the people in his town of 1600 support his view.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2013, 07:58:46 AM
Might as well post this here. An old catholic priest in Austria is sent into early retirement by his diocese. He's also banned from preaching over Easter.

In the past couple of years he has repeatedly referred to gays as "perverts", "disturbed homos", and that according to the Bible gaydom was a disease that needed to be exterminated. He also made inflammatory remarked towards Islam. He'd been warned several times, but his superiors decided to pull the plug.

Even though the mayor and a large number of the people in his town of 1600 support his view.

So, he doesn't have to work anymore and gets to retire early. Nice.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Caliga

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 22, 2013, 01:36:41 PM
So, he doesn't have to work anymore and gets to retire early. Nice.
Did he ever have to 'work' in the first place? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

He had to listen to a lot of old ladies whining.  That's work.

Caliga

I don't think it really is.  My grandfather was a Lutheran minister and I used to visit my grandparents summers and they'd take me around on their rounds.  Basically my grandpa would visit old dudes in the hospital and nursing home, and they did some thing called "meals on wheels", and that was it except for Sundays.  To me, that'd be hell because I despise the elderly, but I have to assume he didn't or he would not have been able to do that from 1942 until a few years ago when he finally, permanently retired (he had been a pastor emeritus for a few decades after his 'official' retirement).  For someone who likes the elderly, you're basically paid to be their friends and pat them on the back.

garbon

Some thing called "meals on wheels"?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on March 22, 2013, 02:19:56 PM
Some thing called "meals on wheels"?
Yeah, my grandma ran it for the city of York, PA.  Basically volunteers (old ladies) would cook shit for poor people or other old people with dementia or other things that prevented them from making their own food, and my grandparents would drive it around to their houses and deliver it.  When I was visiting my grandmother used to make me help her deliver it, at which point I had to make small talk with a bunch of senile old bats.  It was great.

Admiral Yi

I think he meant to convey, in his own inimitable grably way, that meals on wheels are fairly well known.

Caliga

Oh. :blush:

Oh I forgot, my grandpa had to MC weddings and funerals all the time, too.  I used to love being dragged along to funerals.  :)

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 22, 2013, 02:27:52 PM
I think he meant to convey, in his own inimitable grably way, that meals on wheels are fairly well known.

:hug:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Even Swedes know of meals on wheels. Since Twin Peaks.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

I'd never heard of it except when I lived in Pennsylvania.  I thought maybe it was a PA thing only.  Maybe people in Massachusetts and Kentucky just don't care about our seniors. :sleep:

Caliga

Now that I think about it, he also had to christen babies and counsel young folks who were thinking of getting married.

I guess he did have alot of shit to do, but none of it seems like 'work' to me, still.  It actually seems like it'd be fun and I'd consider doing it myself if there was a religion out there that expelled everyone once they turned 65.  Pretending to believe in something wouldn't be so tough, I don't think. :cool: