Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2013, 08:36:09 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 15, 2013, 02:03:36 AM
Cool pic, Tim.

It just shows how the world has gone to shit.

Yeah I hate when people want to document things...

Though I do have to say I always wonder about people taking photos like that - especially when you run into things like someone filming video art pieces on their iPad or taking photos of paintings with their iPhones. Much better photos can be taken off the net and there isn't something very personal about a photo of a piece of art unlike a photo you've taken of a landmark you visited.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: garbon on March 15, 2013, 08:39:09 AM
Though I do have to say I always wonder about people taking photos like that - especially when you run into things like someone filming video art pieces on their iPad or taking photos of paintings with their iPhones. Much better photos can be taken off the net and there isn't something very personal about a photo of a piece of art unlike a photo you've taken of a landmark you visited.

I sometimes do that instead of writing it down if I want to remember the painting/artist . :p
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

HVC

Twitter guy is Spanish and shall be burned as a heretic shortly. no one expects the spanish inquisition, after all.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

Quote from: Liep on March 15, 2013, 08:41:32 AM

I sometimes do that instead of writing it down if I want to remember the painting/artist . :p

Oh I can kind of get the laziness of taking a photo of the work's tag (though not really as one could more sensibly type it into their mobile device so they wouldn't have to sort through photos to find it again).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 15, 2013, 08:38:31 AM
Feb 11 is before Ben 16 announced he was quitting. I'm impressed that a month later, dude was proven right that quickly.
I'm just wondering what that has got to do with statistics.  Millions of idiots make inane tweets every day.  One of them is going to get something 'right' eventually. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

alfred russel

Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2013, 08:36:09 AM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on March 15, 2013, 02:03:36 AM
Cool pic, Tim.

It just shows how the world has gone to shit.

Yeah I hate when people want to document things...

My aversion to this type of thing is a product of a childhood where we would take roadtrips across the country, stop at the Grand Canyon, get out of the car to take a few snapshots, and drive on. Here we have a historical event, and a significant part of the focus of the crowd seems to have shifted to capturing the right image to update facebook/tweet out/blog.

No issue with taking a picture of a painting to look it up later. It does diminish the experience of viewing the Mona Lisa though to have a hoard of people pushing each other to get the best angle for a picture with their cell phone camera (aside from the Mona Lisa being a kind of lame painting anyway, but still). I don't think they are trying to take a picture to remember the painting to look up later.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Caliga

It's an ego thing.  "Look how awesome I am, I can document I was in the square AT THE MOMENT THE POPE WAS ANNOUNCED.  Pay attention to me, I'm special!"
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on March 15, 2013, 09:05:03 AM
My aversion to this type of thing is a product of a childhood where we would take roadtrips across the country, stop at the Grand Canyon, get out of the car to take a few snapshots, and drive on. Here we have a historical event, and a significant part of the focus of the crowd seems to have shifted to capturing the right image to update facebook/tweet out/blog.

No issue with taking a picture of a painting to look it up later. It does diminish the experience of viewing the Mona Lisa though to have a hoard of people pushing each other to get the best angle for a picture with their cell phone camera (aside from the Mona Lisa being a kind of lame painting anyway, but still). I don't think they are trying to take a picture to remember the painting to look up later.

That's fair across the board - though I'd say that the Mona Lisa isn't so much that it is lame but over-hyped.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 09:08:47 AM
It's an ego thing.  "Look how awesome I am, I can document I was in the square AT THE MOMENT THE POPE WAS ANNOUNCED.  Pay attention to me, I'm special!"

All of Cal's vacation photo albums are empty.  Because he's so much cooler than that.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 08:50:24 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 15, 2013, 08:38:31 AM
Feb 11 is before Ben 16 announced he was quitting. I'm impressed that a month later, dude was proven right that quickly.
I'm just wondering what that has got to do with statistics.  Millions of idiots make inane tweets every day.  One of them is going to get something 'right' eventually. :)

Well, that.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

I have a huge issue with people taking a picture of Mona Lisa - there are thousands of pictures of Mona Lisa available online (i.e. at the finger tips of anyone with a smart phone) with a much much better quality that anything you are able to take at the Louvre.

I never was a big fan of taking pictures of yourself/your friends near a famous monument, but at least there I can see the point as it gives you some sort of boasting rights.

When you take a picture of a famous painting or landmark (but not featuring yourself/your friends) then, unless you are some huge artistic photography buff who will make this picture really stunning, any single fucking postcard will give you a better picture of the object in question, so trying to take a picture of it is idiotic.

Not to mention, in my opinion, focusing on taking a picture rather than seeing it with your own eyes really takes away from the experience.

Admiral Yi

When I went to the Louvre there was huge line of Japanese tourists waiting to pose next to the Mona Lisa, right beneath the sign that said "Do not take photographs of the paintings."

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 10:25:19 AM
When I went to the Louvre there was huge line of Japanese tourists waiting to pose next to the Mona Lisa, right beneath the sign that said "Do not take photographs of the paintings."

Maybe that was actually the point of the picture, to show they will not be held down by the Frenchman's rules.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2013, 10:29:03 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 15, 2013, 10:25:19 AM

Maybe that was actually the point of the picture, to show they will not be held down by the Frenchman's rules.

Or the signage wasn't in Japanese.