And we're back!

Main Menu

Papabile: Papal predictions thread

Started by Martinus, February 12, 2013, 11:51:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on March 14, 2013, 09:59:24 PM
:ultra:

You'll probably be voting for a Hispanic in 2016, so you should get used to it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

dps

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 14, 2013, 11:02:47 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on March 14, 2013, 10:58:20 AM
This dude is ancient. Appears more like Vatican token affirmative action. Why cant they pick someone younger ala JP 2? He was 58 IIRC when selected. This dude is what 76.

*Hey I know Guys, lets pick the old brown guy. He'll be dead in a few years then we're golden.*

They don't want another 20 year pontificat. ~5 years will be the norm now.

Five years or so doesn't mean he'll be just a caretaker, though.  John XXIII was the same age when elected, and he convened Vatican II.

QuoteSecondly he stopped off on his way to pray at the tomb of Pius V

Should the Turkish Navy be worried?

Sheilbh

Quote from: dps on March 14, 2013, 10:17:42 PM
Five years or so doesn't mean he'll be just a caretaker, though.  John XXIII was the same age when elected, and he convened Vatican II.
One Cardinal told an Italian journalist (way before the Conclave) that 'four years of Bergoglio would be enough to change things.' We can hope.

Though no need for Vatican III, let's sort out Vatican II first.
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Camerus

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2013, 07:46:14 PMYou like him and you don't want to say it. The cons are either unclear or unavoidable. Everything else you like about him :P

Well, I kinda feel like the people under communism might have felt when they got a likeable decent party chairman (like we did in the 1970s).

Martinus

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 14, 2013, 07:46:14 PMI don't understand this. I know you've a mystical/spiritual streak. But seriously? If the Church changed their views on the gays I would happily and joyously rediscover my belief in the Resurrection, the Immaculate Conception, the Sacraments? :lol:

Well, I hinted at it before here, but I am an atheist mainly politically. The Catholic Church is the enemy that must be destroyed - and that is why its doctrine must be debunked and challenged at every step. Is it objectively true? Who knows but in religion (or atheism) whatever people believe (or disbelieve) in is true.

This is also why I never even considered joining any other church - I think they are all cheap copies of the Roman Church. But if the Roman Church does not want me, then fine - I will go to war with it.

P.S. I will probably convert on my death bed like all good lapsed-Catholics-turned-anti-Catholic-rebels. ;)

Razgovory

What an absurd way to look at the world.  To be honest Marty, I think your atheism is rooted in a need to be "different", and feel smart.  I think that's the reason a lot of people become atheists.  It's not a good reason, in my opinion.  You are either smart or your not and your are different are you are not.  I don't know much about being smart.  When I was younger they said I was pretty clever, not so much anymore.  I am unfortunately "different", and I wouldn't want to on anyone.  You are probably smarter then I give you credit for, so I don't think you need to affect the political or religious ideas of others to convince yourself of your own intelligence.  I like to mock you, but mostly because you are try to be something you aren't.  You are trying to be someone like garbon.  You aren't.  You really should just be you.  You don't pull off the "gay, an cruel, and urbane" thing off well at all.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Grey Fox

Some dude tweeted, on Feb 11 no less, that he dreamt of a New Pope named Francis.

That's statistically impressive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on March 15, 2013, 02:54:45 AM
What an absurd way to look at the world. 

Is that surprising?

That said, I'll agree that I didn't think he'd take that strange stance.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 15, 2013, 07:50:06 AM
Some dude tweeted, on Feb 11 no less, that he dreamt of a New Pope named Francis.

:hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2013, 08:37:11 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 15, 2013, 07:50:06 AM

:hmm:

Feb 11 is before Ben 16 announced he was quitting. I'm impressed that a month later, dude was proven right that quickly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.