News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pope Benedict XVI 'is to resign'

Started by Martinus, February 11, 2013, 06:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Maybe you have to be a Catholic to understand but: why does anyone give a shit about the Fatima stuff?  Wasn't it just a bunch of crap made up by some poor-ass Eggplant shepherd kids? :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Drakken

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2013, 11:51:57 AM
Maybe you have to be a Catholic to understand but: why does anyone give a shit about the Fatima stuff?  Wasn't it just a bunch of crap made up by some poor-ass Eggplant shepherd kids? :hmm:

Most (liberal, lapsed, or secular) Catholics nowadays don't. But traditionally (and officially) it was and still is considered a valid miracle. It's a problem, because the existence of miracles is a dogma of faith, so skeptical Catholics doubting the possibility of miracles tread a very fine line with heresy and heterodoxy.

Even the Holy See has a person whose job is to debunk miracles and false prophecies during beatification or canonization processes, aptly named the "Devil's Advocate". Seems the one assigned to the Fatima job in 1917 did a very, very bad job.

Martinus

Devil's Advocate is not (just) about debunking miracles etc., but about bringing any evidence that could put into doubt the saintly nature of the candidate.

For example, being buried alive is still a disqualifying factor in any canonization process (because the deceased could have blasphemied against God).

Likewise, the author who wrote the critical biography of Mother Theresa also was called to testify, based on his reading of her diary, where she doubted the existence of God.

Viking

Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2013, 12:04:35 PM
Devil's Advocate is not (just) about debunking miracles etc., but about bringing any evidence that could put into doubt the saintly nature of the candidate.

For example, being buried alive is still a disqualifying factor in any canonization process (because the deceased could have blasphemied against God).

Likewise, the author who wrote the critical biography of Mother Theresa also was called to testify, based on his reading of her diary, where she doubted the existence of God.

Christopher Hitchens was the Advocatus Diaboli for Mother Theresa. He spend the rest of his life proudly declaring that he was the only person who represented the devil Pro Bono. Hitchens also claims that they abolished the office after the Mother Theresa canonization.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Larch

Quote from: Viking on February 11, 2013, 12:10:00 PM
Quote from: Martinus on February 11, 2013, 12:04:35 PM

Christopher Hitchens was the Advocatus Diaboli for Mother Theresa. He spend the rest of his life proudly declaring that he was the only person who represented the devil Pro Bono. Hitchens also claims that they abolished the office after the Mother Theresa canonization.

According to wiki JPII abolished the position in 1983.

The Larch

Quote from: derspiess on February 11, 2013, 10:41:31 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 10:35:48 AM
The catholic church in parts of latin america is getting its ass kicked by evangelicals.

I'd say that's fairly isolated for the moment.

Around 10% of the population of the whole continent, with some countries at 20% or so like Brazil and growing is hardly something isolated.

alfred russel

Quote from: The Larch on February 11, 2013, 12:14:56 PM
Around 10% of the population of the whole continent, with some countries at 20% or so like Brazil and growing is hardly something isolated.

Larch, say they were to make the Archbishop of Mexico the next pope. Would that generate any excitement in Spain?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on February 11, 2013, 11:00:23 AM
You know the saying, who enters a conclave as Pope usually gets out as Cardinal.

I don't know what this means.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on February 11, 2013, 12:29:14 PM
You know the saying, who enters a conclave as Pope usually gets out as Cardinal.

That line gets trotted out at every papal election.  It means the conclave never selects the front-runner.

The thing is Ratzinger was the front runner last time... :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

Those cardinals who enter the conclave as favourites rarely come out as popes.

Quote from: Barrister on February 11, 2013, 12:30:24 PM
The thing is Ratzinger was the front runner last time... :hmm:

Still took two days and four ballots. For all we know maybe he wasn't leading or had a small majority, and cardinals banked around him for a transition pope.

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on February 11, 2013, 12:31:15 PM
Those cardinals who enter the conclave as favourites rarely come out as popes.

Oh gotcha. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: derspiess on February 11, 2013, 10:41:31 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 10:35:48 AM
The catholic church in parts of latin america is getting its ass kicked by evangelicals.

I'd say that's fairly isolated for the moment.

Isolated to the poors, then :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Viking

Hubris = Bad
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Iormlund

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 12:24:08 PM

Larch, say they were to make the Archbishop of Mexico the next pope. Would that generate any excitement in Spain?

Really unlikely. Not even if they chose a Spaniard. Which they shouldn't, since it's pretty clear that Catholicism has lost Spain (and Europe) for good.

Barrister

Quote from: Iormlund on February 11, 2013, 01:02:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 12:24:08 PM

Really unlikely. Not even if they chose a Spaniard. Which they shouldn't, since it's pretty clear that Catholicism has lost Spain (and Europe) for good.

I doubt that is clear to the cardinals, however.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.