News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Pope Benedict XVI 'is to resign'

Started by Martinus, February 11, 2013, 06:03:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 10:00:30 AM
My impression is that basically no one really likes him. Who wants to still be working in a job with massive responsibility at 85 in a situation like that? Maybe he just wants to retire.

He probably just wanted to spend a few years being the Pope, so he has something cool to put on his CV.

OttoVonBismarck

An African or Latin American Pope would definitely make a lot of sense, ironically the African Catholics are probably one of the last great bastions of truly conservative Catholicism, and Latin America and Africa are definitely the biggest growth markets and most enthusiastic followers.

I'm hearing talk about the Cardinal Ouellet of Quebec and previous "primate of Canada" / Archbishop of Quebec as an early frontrunner, though.

derspiess

My wife's cousin is apparently excited about being able to camp outside again during the conclave or whatever it's called :huh:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on February 11, 2013, 10:24:36 AM
An African or Latin American Pope would definitely make a lot of sense, ironically the African Catholics are probably one of the last great bastions of truly conservative Catholicism, and Latin America and Africa are definitely the biggest growth markets and most enthusiastic followers.

I'm hearing talk about the Cardinal Ouellet of Quebec and previous "primate of Canada" / Archbishop of Quebec as an early frontrunner, though.

The catholic church in parts of latin america is getting its ass kicked by evangelicals.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Martinus

They should elect a black Pope and then move the Holy See to Africa, when Vatican is sequestred by the Italian government.  :swiss:

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 10:35:48 AM

The catholic church in parts of latin america is getting its ass kicked by evangelicals.

I'd say that's fairly isolated for the moment. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on February 11, 2013, 10:35:48 AM

And Quebec is perhaps the most secular and non-religious part of north america.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Viking

Oh well, at least the catholic church accepts evolution as the best explanation for biological diversity and admits that it's man in quebec is a primate.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Drakken

You know the saying, who enters a conclave as Pope usually gets out as Cardinal.

But who knows. "Poor Canada", as John Paul II is told to have said when he was told the third secret of Fatima. So maybe the election of Ouellet as last Pope was foretold by the prophecies  :P

Caliga

The Pope should definitely come from outside of Europe.  Fuck Europe.  I'm so sick of you people. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Grey Fox

Quote from: Drakken on February 11, 2013, 11:00:23 AM

You know the saying, who enters a conclave as Pope usually gets out as Cardinal.

But who knows. "Poor Canada", as John Paul II is told to have said when he was told the third secret of Fatima. So maybe the election of Ouellet as last Pope was foretold by the prophecies  :P

Any speculation what the secret was?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on February 11, 2013, 11:20:15 AM
The Pope should definitely come from outside of Europe.  Fuck Europe.  I'm so sick of you people. :)

It took them 500 years t put non-Italians on the chair, so I think a non-European is at least another 500 years off.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 11, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three_Secrets_of_F%C3%A1tima#Third_secret

QuoteJ.M.J.

The third part of the secret revealed at the Cova da Iria-Fátima, on 13 May 1917.

I write in obedience to you, my God, who command me to do so through his Excellency the Bishop of Leiria and through your Most Holy Mother and mine.

After the two parts which I have already explained, at the left of Our Lady and a little above, we saw an Angel with a flaming sword in his left hand; flashing, it gave out flames that looked as though they would set the world on fire; but they died out in contact with the splendour that Our Lady radiated towards him from her right hand: pointing to the earth with his right hand, the Angel cried out in a loud voice: 'Penance, Penance, Penance!'. And we saw in an immense light that is God: 'something similar to how people appear in a mirror when they pass in front of it' a Bishop dressed in White 'we had the impression that it was the Holy Father'. Other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious going up a steep mountain, at the top of which there was a big Cross of rough-hewn trunks as of a cork-tree with the bark; before reaching there the Holy Father passed through a big city half in ruins and half trembling with halting step, afflicted with pain and sorrow, he prayed for the souls of the corpses he met on his way; having reached the top of the mountain, on his knees at the foot of the big Cross he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him, and in the same way there died one after another the other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious, and various lay people of different ranks and positions. Beneath the two arms of the Cross there were two Angels each with a crystal aspersorium in his hand, in which they gathered up the blood of the Martyrs and with it sprinkled the souls that were making their way to God.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 11, 2013, 11:32:09 AM

I think it was that Languish would die out due to lack of interesting threads and attrition by 2015.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011