News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Long, Long Time Ago...

Started by Savonarola, May 20, 2009, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2009, 04:55:29 PM
Bronzium?  Was that named after Charles Bronson?
Then it would be named Bronsonium.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Darth Wagtaros

So Dooku got pissy with the Jedi and decided to start vast wars and murdering people.  That isn't really cool.  Just bitchy.
PDH!

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 25, 2009, 05:10:39 PM
So Dooku got pissy with the Jedi and decided to start vast wars and murdering people.  That isn't really cool.  Just bitchy.

Dooku, angry that the Jedi was the gestapo of the republic, fights for freedom.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on May 25, 2009, 04:58:26 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2009, 04:55:29 PM
Bronzium?  Was that named after Charles Bronson?
Then it would be named Bronsonium.

Yeah, I like it better that way.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on May 25, 2009, 04:44:21 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on May 23, 2009, 11:48:14 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2009, 11:13:53 AM
You shoudl repost your Star Wars fanfiction.

I've lost "My Dinner with Anakin," but here is Darth Vader, Days of being wild:

:lmfao:

Easily the best fan-fic I've ever read. Not that this is saying much, mind you ...

Thanks, I think, :unsure:

My personal favorite is Harry Potter and the Internship of Aestas Estas:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3954402/1/Harry_Potter_and_the_Internship_of_Aestas_Estas

I wrote this right after I witnessed three major Harry Potter events.  I was in Ann Arbor the night the last Harry Potter was released; a number of our less well read posters made the case that all the Harry Potter books would become part of the canon of western literature; and JK Rowling compared herself to Charles Dickens.  That gave me more motivation than usual.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Savonarola on May 25, 2009, 09:06:12 PM
I wrote this right after I witnessed three major Harry Potter events.  I was in Ann Arbor the night the last Harry Potter was released; a number of our less well read posters made the case that all the Harry Potter books would become part of the canon of western literature; and JK Rowling compared herself to Charles Dickens.  That gave me more motivation than usual.   :)

Well, to be fair she's a better read than unabridged Dickens.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Caliga

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 25, 2009, 10:11:39 PM

So?  Most people like Twinkies better than broccoli but that doesn't make them better for you. :)

Anyway, I believe I read an unabridged version of David Copperfield and I liked it just fine.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 25, 2009, 10:11:39 PM
:lmfao:  To some, no doubt this is true, but it must be a terrible thing to be so culturally bankrupt as to believe it for one's self.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Do people voluntarily read abridged versions? I've only read them when I was tricked into thinking it was the full thing.  The once exception was Norwich's history of Byzantium and that was only because the abridged version was the only one I could get my hands on.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Darth Wagtaros

I dislike abridged versions of anything.
PDH!

saskganesh

I've read abridged editions of Gibbons, Frazier, and Dickens. the last for school, so fair is fair.
humans were created in their own image

Eddie Teach

My perception may be skewed by the fact the last Dickens I tried to read(and only one since school) was Bleak House.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

I don't get the fascination with Dickens.  His characters are so one-dimensional and boring.

Ok this guy is bad...this guy is good...here is the bad woman...here is the good woman

I mean it is tiresome there are pretty much no shades of gray anywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PDH

Q - How do you know she is a witch?
A - Bill abridged out of her!
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Savonarola

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 09:39:07 AM
I don't get the fascination with Dickens.  His characters are so one-dimensional and boring.

Ok this guy is bad...this guy is good...here is the bad woman...here is the good woman

I mean it is tiresome there are pretty much no shades of gray anywhere.

That is an obvious mischaracterization of Dickens.  For instance in Great Expectations Pip is a snob, Estella is capricious and cruel, Miss Havisham is a crank, Magwitch threatens Pip; yet none of them are bad people.  They have believeable motivations for their behavior and attitudes.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock