News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Long, Long Time Ago...

Started by Savonarola, May 20, 2009, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Episode I has the best lightsaber/sword duel I've ever seen.
Nearly everything else was a let down.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Tamas

Quote from: viper37 on May 22, 2009, 08:07:46 AM
Episode I has the best lightsaber/sword duel I've ever seen.
Nearly everything else was a let down.

That is true, that duel with that music was great, it could not, however, save the movie from being a pile of cowshit.

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2009, 08:02:27 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on May 22, 2009, 07:18:02 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on May 22, 2009, 02:49:15 AM

"fully functioning space stations" definitely NOT improved over the original
It wasn't finished. :mellow:

But it had an outlet to the nuclear reactor core in the Throne Room; that's fundamentally poor engineering.
Do we know that was a nuclear reactor?  Who knows what those guys were using for power.  We do know that the main reactor of the Death Star wasn't based on fission, fusion or antimatter annihilation.

Actually, a lot of Old Republic structures were needlessly huge and full of shafts as well.  Perhaps it's something psychological, something about having infinite resources and space.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

What is the deal with no handrails? OSHA needs to fine those fuckers.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 09:40:19 AM

But it had an outlet to the nuclear reactor core in the Throne Room; that's fundamentally poor engineering.
Do we know that was a nuclear reactor?  Who knows what those guys were using for power.  We do know that the main reactor of the Death Star wasn't based on fission, fusion or antimatter annihilation.

Having an oulet to any sort of power generation core in the Throne Room is fundamentally poor engineering.  Look at the result; it was like the o-rings of the Star Wars universe.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2009, 09:55:30 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 09:40:19 AM

Having an oulet to any sort of power generation core in the Throne Room is fundamentally poor engineering.  Look at the result; it was like the o-rings of the Star Wars universe.
One accident in 25 millenia isn't so bad.

Maybe they're using waste heat from the power plant to circulate the atmosphere?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on May 22, 2009, 09:41:39 AM
There were handrails in the throne room.  Luke had Vader's arm resting on one when he was bashing away at it, right before Vader's hand was severed.

lustindarkness

Specially with the small field of vision inside a clone/storm trooper helmet.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 10:18:23 AM

The media never sees it that way.  Fortunately the Empire disbanded the Senate so that the engineer who designed that didn't have to testify before them.

QuoteMaybe they're using waste heat from the power plant to circulate the atmosphere?

Without knowing the specifics of the power generation system it's difficult to say; but I would think they could have at least put a grate over it.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Syt

Budget issues.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2009, 10:22:56 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 10:18:23 AM

The media never sees it that way.  Fortunately the Empire disbanded the Senate so that the engineer who designed that didn't have to testify before them.
We're unsure that the Senate actually had the power to compell testimony.  Even in Episode 1, the Senate didn't seem to have much in the way of direct power, with most galactic affairs being handled through the bureaucrats.  During a crisis, it seems that policy was to empower the Chancellor.
QuoteMaybe they're using waste heat from the power plant to circulate the atmosphere?

Without knowing the specifics of the power generation system it's difficult to say; but I would think they could have at least put a grate over it.
That would ruin the aesthetics, which are important to a galactic society.  After all, what are the consequences of those open pits?  Somebody could fall in and die?  Who cares?  There are probably several quintillion sophonts in the galaxy.  Somebody could drop some equipment down there?  The Empire has effectively infinite resources, as demonstrated by the sheer wastefulness of the Death Star Project itself.  And yet as massive and wasteful as it was, it was trivially small next to the overall Imperial economy.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 07:10:24 AM
Quote from: Alatriste on May 22, 2009, 02:49:15 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 21, 2009, 07:43:32 PM
Quote from: Alatriste on May 21, 2009, 01:52:20 AM
The Return of the Jedi maimed the dream, the Phantom Menace did truely kill it forever.
You're a fag.

Well, I'll be damned if hating piano playing giant purple puppets, cheap fanboy service with slave princesses that should have worked with their deadly Jedi friends and, like, prepared something akin to a workable plan, evil masterminds that always leave killing their captured enemies for tomorrow, lame ass bounty hunters, burping giant sand monsters, 'Deus ex Machina' intuition of unknown sisters, hordes of little cuddly teddy bears, imperial armies of Keystone cops, cliché butt ugly evil emperors with broad malign grins that can't kill a fly in less than three hours, "fully functioning space stations" definitely NOT improved over the original, heartbreaking family reconciliations in the moment of death and happy ghosts holding hands and singing kumbaya (only male ghosts, by the way, throwing some doubt on Annakin and Obi Wan sexual orientation after all... Alas for poor Amidala, first seduced, then murdered and finally forgotten) makes one a fag!

IIRC the only minutes that didn't stink belonged to the bike chase. Because there was no plot and no dialog, perhaps?
See?  There's no helping you.  You're totally gay.  You should probably just kill yourself today.
You should put that into Haiku format, you've the beginning of a good poem there.
PDH!

Savonarola

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 10:36:20 AM
That would ruin the aesthetics, which are important to a galactic society.  After all, what are the consequences of those open pits?  Somebody could fall in and die?  Who cares?  There are probably several quintillion sophonts in the galaxy.  Somebody could drop some equipment down there?  The Empire has effectively infinite resources, as demonstrated by the sheer wastefulness of the Death Star Project itself.  And yet as massive and wasteful as it was, it was trivially small next to the overall Imperial economy.

In that case they should have done a simple trom l'oeil painting of a reactor core shaft in the Emperor's throne room; the way the flat surface of Sant'Ignazio in Rome is painted to look like it has a dome.  That would have provided aesthetic appeal and safety.  While there might be sound technical reasons for having massive shafts into the power generation core; putting them in the Emperor's throne room is just asking for trouble given the VIPs he was likely to entertain there.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2009, 10:46:19 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 10:36:20 AM

In that case they should have done a simple trom l'oeil painting of a reactor core shaft in the Emperor's throne room; the way the flat surface of Sant'Ignazio in Rome is painted to look like it has a dome.  That would have provided aesthetic appeal and safety.  While there might be sound technical reasons for having massive shafts into the power generation core; putting them in the Emperor's throne room is just asking for trouble given the VIPs he was likely to entertain there.
You shoudl repost your Star Wars fanfiction.
PDH!

saskganesh

Quote from: Savonarola on May 22, 2009, 10:46:19 AM
While there might be sound technical reasons for having massive shafts into the power generation core; putting them in the Emperor's throne room is just asking for trouble given the VIPs he was likely to entertain there.

maybe he liked to throw people into the pits for VIP kicks?
humans were created in their own image