News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Long, Long Time Ago...

Started by Savonarola, May 20, 2009, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on May 29, 2009, 09:39:07 AM
I don't get the fascination with Dickens.  His characters are so one-dimensional and boring.

Ok this guy is bad...this guy is good...here is the bad woman...here is the good woman

I mean it is tiresome there are pretty much no shades of gray anywhere.
I am assuming that you have only read the abridged versions (aka the comic books)?  Because Dickens characters are anything but one-dimensional and boring!  His characters are what he has been known for for over fifteen decades.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

I don't get the fascination with Dickens.  His characters are so one-dimensional and boring.

:boggle:
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Savonarola on May 29, 2009, 10:36:38 AM
That is an obvious mischaracterization of Dickens.  For instance in Great Expectations Pip is a snob, Estella is capricious and cruel, Miss Havisham is a crank, Magwitch threatens Pip; yet none of them are bad people.  They have believeable motivations for their behavior and attitudes.
Exactly.  How someone could not call Estella morally ambiguous is impossible to imagine, except through sheer ignorance.  Yes, her behavior was cruel at tiimes, but kind at other times, and she had been brought up to wreak revenge on mankind, so who was the "real" Estella anyway?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

saskganesh

Ok this guy is bad...this guy is good...here is the bad woman...here is the good woman

I mean it is tiresome there are pretty much no shades of gray anywhere.

Dickens was really fun with plots.
humans were created in their own image

Sheilbh

I don't think that's necessarily the case.  I believe there's a big division among his fans between early Dickens and late Dickens.  The early novels I think have more one-dimensional characters, the plot's more episodic and less sweeping, but it's also terrific fun and some of the characters are his most memorable.  Late Dickens is, I believe, more serious, the plots are more integrated and coherent and the characters more complex.  I think that David Copperfield's seen as the sort of pivot between the two.  You still have some of the episodic-ness and the remarkable characters (Mr Micawber, Uriah Heep and so on) but there's also a strong narrative drive and a plot that hangs together pretty well.

Though I've not read enough to know the truth of that it's something I read in the introduction to the Penguin David Copperfield.  I've only read A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield so I know nothing of early Dickens.
Let's bomb Russia!

Neil

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 29, 2009, 11:30:21 AM
I don't think that's necessarily the case.  I believe there's a big division among his fans between early Dickens and late Dickens.  The early novels I think have more one-dimensional characters, the plot's more episodic and less sweeping, but it's also terrific fun and some of the characters are his most memorable.  Late Dickens is, I believe, more serious, the plots are more integrated and coherent and the characters more complex.  I think that David Copperfield's seen as the sort of pivot between the two.  You still have some of the episodic-ness and the remarkable characters (Mr Micawber, Uriah Heep and so on) but there's also a strong narrative drive and a plot that hangs together pretty well.

Though I've not read enough to know the truth of that it's something I read in the introduction to the Penguin David Copperfield.  I've only read A Tale of Two Cities and David Copperfield so I know nothing of early Dickens.
This is what I like about Sheilbh.  He's knowledgeable and thoughtful about things that I've given very little thought to.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on May 30, 2009, 09:51:33 AM
This is what I like about Sheilbh.  He's knowledgeable and thoughtful about things that I've given very little thought to.

:lol:

I think he points out rightly that if you read the introduction to the Penguin edition of David Copperfield, you can have the same knowledge.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.