News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Long, Long Time Ago...

Started by Savonarola, May 20, 2009, 12:29:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Why would the death of a Jedi be exothermic?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Barrister on May 22, 2009, 01:46:18 PM
Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 22, 2009, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2009, 01:16:16 PMI always thought this was the case.
Same.
It seems that many other people felt that way, since powerful Dark Jedi killed in the derivative works often show a similar effect.

There was no similar effect at the death of Darth Maul or Count Dooku though.
That's because they sucked both as villains and as fallen Jedi. 
PDH!

Neil

Quote from: Neil on May 22, 2009, 01:42:54 PM
Quote from: Caliga on May 22, 2009, 01:18:16 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 22, 2009, 01:16:16 PMI always thought this was the case.
Same.
It seems that many other people felt that way, since powerful Dark Jedi killed in the derivative works often show a similar effect.

True, but neither of them were in the Emperor's class.  Maul was a thug with a lightsabre and although Dooku was powerful, he was notably less so than the Emperor of twenty years ago.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Savonarola

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2009, 11:13:53 AM
You shoudl repost your Star Wars fanfiction.

I've lost "My Dinner with Anakin," but here is Darth Vader, Days of being wild:

QuoteJar Jar Binks stood over a series of bubbling vats on is stove. The subtle smell of spices from his home world of Naboo filled the kitchen. He missed Naboo. Coruscant was a big, exciting planet, but he longed for the simple life of the Gungan cities. That is why he made dishes like Nabooian gumbo to remind him of his home. His reverie was broken by the doorbell ring. Jar Jar sighed, it was probably someone selling subscriptions to the Senatorial Record again.

The door slid open and before Jar Jar stood a huge menacing figure. He was nearly as tall as Jar Jar and was dressed entirely in black, including a long black cape and a black helmet with an eerie black mask complete with lidless eyes and a grate where the mouth should be."

"Oh noes!" Jar Jar shrieked, "Is de debbul. Meesa sorry for all de bad tings meesa done, muy muy. Exsqueeze me, Exsqueeze me."

"Calm down Jar Jar," the voice boomed.

"Oh noes, youssa knows my name. Meesa time is up, meesa is dead."

"Jar Jar, you are not dead."

"Meesa not? Is yousa gonna try to get meesa to sell my soul?"

"Jar Jar, I am not the devil. I am Anakin Skywalker."

"Yousa Ani? But why meesa old friend Ani dress up like de debbul an scarsa Jar Jar, muy muy?"

"I was horribly disfigured, Jar Jar. This suit allows me to live."

"Oh noes, meesa so sorry, ani. Yousa need something?"

That is why I have come. The Emperor fired me and I'm on disability. Could I stay with you until I get back on my feet?"

"Youssa bet, Ani. Jar Jar remembers heesa old friends."

Jar Jar did remember his old friend. He let him stay in his apartment as he went to work. Day upon day Jar Jar went to his job in the imperial senate and listened to the Emperor's ever increasing laws. The Senate had less to do as Emperor Palpatine took over the daily roles of the Senate. This delighted Jar Jar immensely, as those issues had always greatly confused him. They now had other important business to discuss, whether the Emperor's birthday should be a Galactic holiday, whether to build an Imperial peace garden on Alderaan or Coruscant, and what was to be the Galactic Empire's official march. These issues also greatly confused Jar Jar, and he was required to rely on his aides heavily.

One day as Jar Jar was leaving his chambers, he bumped into a cloaked and hooded figure in the hall.

"Exsqueeze me!" Jar Jar said with baffled alarm.

"Oh no, Jar Jar, there's no reason to be so formal," Emperor Palpatine pulled his hood back.

"Oh noes, is de Emperor! Meesa sorry for what meesa did!"

"You have not done anything wrong, Jar Jar," the Emperor reassured him. "I merely came to talk with you."

"With meesa? Whats do you want Emperor Palpatine?"

"Please, Jar Jar, we have known each other for so long, just call me Darth Sidious."

"Okey-day, Darth Sidious."

"Jar Jar," the emperor smiled benevolently, though his benevolence seemed a mask, "I have heard rumors that you have a new roommate."

"Yessa, Ani Skywalker, heesa lives with meesa now."

"I am delighted to hear that. Tell me, how is he?"

"Good, heesa sit on de couch all day and drink beer and watches wrestling on television. Meesa wish meesa could do that."

"Oh Jar Jar," the Emperor sighed wistfully, "It doesn't sound like he's doing well at all. Does he pay rent?"

"Oh noes, meesa couldn't ask meesa old friend to pay."

"Does he clean the apartment?"

"Oh no, heesa too busy watching wrestling."

"It doesn't sound like he's busy at all; and I had such hopes for Anikan."

As Jar Jar returned home that night he saw Darth Vader at his usual spot on the couch surrounded by empty beer cans. He had a can of Nabooian Genera-Brew in his left hand and the remote in his right.

"Meesa goodness Darth, don't you ever pick up?"

"I will once wrestling is over."

"Eesa all fake, how can you watch it?"

"It is remarkable. The grace, the athleticism, these men must be strong in the force. They remind me of me before... well you know."

Jar Jar was sorry he had yelled at his friend. He knew Darth Vader really did need his help.

"Yousa will never believe who meesa saw today."

"Who, Jar Jar?"

"Oh noes yousa supposed to guess."

"The Coruscant Idol."

"No guess again."

"I do not want to guess again, Jar Jar, just tell me."

"Oh, yousa no fun. I saw de Emperor!"

Darth Vader continued to breathe his slow mechanical way. Jar Jar had expected a reaction of some sort, yet, though he stared at Darth Vader a long time he just sat still, unblinking eyes looking out.

"Heesa asked about you," Jar Jar broke the silence.

"Did you tell him I am a broken man."

"Oh noes, meesa told him that yousa sit around and drink beer all day long."

"I see, and what did he say?"

"Heesa seemed sad. That made Jar Jar feel bad, muy muy."

Darth crumpled the empty beer can in his hand and lobbed it into the waste paper basket. "I sense a disturbance in the force, as if you have brought home another case of beer."

"Yousa right, that force be amazing," replied Jar Jar.

Yet in time their relationship became strained and Jar Jar became more resentful of Darth Vader's sloth. He still brought home a case of beer every night, which Anikan readily consumed, but the two hardly spoke. Jar Jar tried to encourage him to find a job, gently at first and Darth Vader would promise to get one. Sometimes he'd even take out the help wanted section of the Coruscant Weekly, but that was about as far as it went.

One day Jar Jar returned home from the senate in a fury. He had wanted to make the Wookie holiday, "Life Day," a Galactic Holiday, but the vote had failed. He stormed into his apartment and his rage grew as he saw Darth Vader just sitting on the couch surrounded by a pile of beer cans.

"Whatsa yousa doing?"

"I am watching Intergalactic Championship Wrestling."

"That's all yousa ever do, yousa bum."

"I am not a bum," Darth stood up, "I am differently abled, you see differently abled."

"Meesa see yousa walk around and yousa can use your hands to open beer cans so meesa thinks yousa can get a job ant Burger Comet."

"I was a Jedi; I was on the council..."

"Well yousa ain't no more. Yousa is de laziest Sith Lord meesa ever seen."

Jar Jar felt a hideous sensation, as if two hands were wrapped around his throat. Darth Vader stretched out his arms and watched Jar Jar crumple to the floor with a sickening thud. His greenish flesh dulled to grey and his long tongue sprawled out on the floor."

Vader walked over to the refrigerator and popped open another brew. The neighbors must have heard the ruckus. In a few minutes the imperial storm troopers would arrive. Every minute seemed like an eternity. He slowly savored his last Nabooian Genera-Brew. He felt his veins turn to ice when he heard a soft knock upon the door.

He got up slowly, opened the door, and saw the shriveled figure of the Emperor. "My master," Darth cried.

"Darth Vader, how long it has been. I felt a disturbance in the force."

"Yes, I killed Jar Jar Binks."

"Good, your hate has made you strong."

"It has?"

"Oh yes, put down that beer and help me bring order to the Galaxy."

Darth Vader did feel strong, stronger than ever. He put down the beer and followed taking one last look at Jar Jar lying sprawled upon the ground.

"Leave him. I'll have a squadron of storm troopers take care of this." The pair walked out.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Barrister

You lost dinner with Anakin? :weep:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2009, 01:54:06 PM
:mad: I liked Dooku a lot.  I think he had a legitimate beef with the Republic and the Jedi Order and was justified in doing some of the things he did.  Becoming a toady of Palpatine was not one of his better moves though.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on May 23, 2009, 01:35:10 PM
:mad: I liked Dooku a lot.  I think he had a legitimate beef with the Republic and the Jedi Order and was justified in doing some of the things he did.  Becoming a toady of Palpatine was not one of his better moves though.
What beef was that?  Rib eye level beef or was it choice flank steak?
PDH!

Sophie Scholl

"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Neil

Quote from: Judas Iscariot on May 23, 2009, 01:35:10 PM
But what was the timeline there?  Did he actually have a beef with the Republic, or did he only become involved with Seperatism after becoming a Sith Lord?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

It is very hard to tell Neil and Timmay posts apart in this thread, except by carefully checking the poster name.  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Quote from: Neil on May 24, 2009, 02:07:52 PM
But what was the timeline there?  Did he actually have a beef with the Republic, or did he only become involved with Seperatism after becoming a Sith Lord?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Dooku

QuoteAfter the battles of Galidraan and Baltizaar, Dooku became increasingly withdrawn from the Jedi Order. He refused to accept any more missions from the Jedi Council[18] and became concerned about prophecies he felt were coming true about dark times unfolding across the galaxy. While he discussed his concerns with many of the Order's most prominent Jedi Masters, his friend Sifo-Dyas was his closest confidant.[20]

Dooku's growing disenchantment with the Jedi way was sensed by Senator Palpatine, who had been watching Dooku for some time and had plans that required someone with Dooku's reputation, skills, and financial resources. Palpatine was secretly the Sith Lord Darth Sidious, and even before the Battle of Naboo in 32 BBY he had held several meetings with Dooku to feel out his opinions and cultivate him as an ally. Dooku's behavior and beliefs as a Jedi had previously been within the scope of Jedi orthodoxy.[1] However, Dooku flirted with the belief that the dark side of the Force could be called upon without personal corruption as his discontent with the Jedi Order grew.[21]

Dooku made several public condemnations of the Senate after the death of his former Padawan Qui-Gon Jinn in a duel with the Sith Lord Darth Maul. This Zabrak was the apprentice of Darth Sidious, raised as a weapon to combat the Jedi Order. Maul did not survive his victory, as Jinn's apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi slew the Sith Lord with Jinn's own lightsaber.[3] Shortly thereafter, Dooku resigned from the Jedi Order, retired to Serenno, and claimed his family title of Count. He neither gave a reason for his decision to leave the Jedi in his public announcement nor did he provide one when summoned before the Jedi Council to explain his actions.[1]

Dooku's abrupt departure surprised and disturbed the Jedi Order. As a Jedi Master who had voluntarily resigned his commission, Dooku became part of the group later known as the Lost Twenty. In over two thousand years, only nineteen other Jedi Masters had walked away from the Order, and among those Dooku was considered the most bitter loss.[22] A bronzium bust of Dooku was created to join the other sculptures of the Lost Twenty in the Jedi Archives.[23]

Not long after he had left the order, he contacted his old friend Argyus, who was now a Captain in the Senate Guard. Argyus agreed to work for Dooku in secret.[17]

Dooku's disillusionment with the Senate and the Jedi were no secret to Palpatine, and Dooku was likely partially under Palpatine's influence even before the death of Qui-Gon Jinn. However, Dooku was not yet a Sith, nor was he aware that Palpatine's hidden identity was Darth Sidious. After the Battle of Naboo, Dooku gave some thought to hunting down the hidden second Sith, but concluded that even eliminating both Sith would not halt what he felt was the inevitable advance of the dark side.[20]

Shortly thereafter, Dooku was approached directly by Darth Sidious. They had a long discussion, and Dooku found that Palpatine's goals were not dissimilar to his own.[20] Despite the recent death of Dooku's apprentice Qui-Gon Jinn at the hands of Darth Maul, Darth Sidious found it surprisingly easy to convince Dooku to ally with the Sith. After seventy years in the Jedi Order, Dooku abandoned his friends and the Jedi way for the dark side of the Force.[1]

Under the tutelage of Sidious, Dooku was renamed Darth Tyranus and became a Dark Lord of the Sith. With his family holdings on Serenno, he had access to vast reserves of wealth that he used in the service of his new Master. Tyranus was soon fully enmeshed in Sidious's schemes. Shortly after Dooku left the Order, Sifo-Dyas secretly ordered a clone army from the planet Kamino, claiming the army was for the Jedi and the Republic. Sidious informed Dooku of this, and told him to eliminate his friend and gain control over the army.[20]

Dooku obeyed, murdering the Jedi Master and moving his body to storage on Serenno. He then paid for Sifo-Dyas's clone army under the name of Tyranus.[20] After the death of Sifo-Dyas, Dooku successfully erased Kamino, Dromund,[1] Dagobah, and thirty-five other star systems from the Jedi Archives, despite no longer being a Jedi himself.[24] Additionally, Dooku stole information about secret Jedi hyperspace routes through the Deep Core region in the center of the galaxy.[20]
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sophie Scholl

Cuts out some motivation, but a good summary.

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on May 23, 2009, 11:48:14 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on May 22, 2009, 11:13:53 AM
You shoudl repost your Star Wars fanfiction.

I've lost "My Dinner with Anakin," but here is Darth Vader, Days of being wild:

:lmfao:

Easily the best fan-fic I've ever read. Not that this is saying much, mind you ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Bronzium?  Was that named after Charles Bronson?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017