London
6 (16.2%)
Oxnard
9 (24.3%)
Other
3 (8.1%)

Total Members Voted: 37

OttoVonBismarck

Also, uncontacted peoples is a very western centric view. To my knowledge none of these people are historically uncontacted by anyone, they just haven't established or had established with them any formal relationships with Western peoples. Like pretty much no Amazonia tribe is "uncontacted." There are still some out there that have never directly interacted with any white man, but we know about them from other Amazonians who have had direct dealings with them. Some people call the Sentinelese "uncontacted" but we have no idea since we haven't directly examined them. We know that there isn't a lot if anything written about them in history but we also know there were all kinds of trade and activity going on between peoples of the Andaman islands prior to modern times. There is nothing to suggest they never had dealings with other island tribes, or maybe even interactions with more civilized Indians. Interactions with savages by random Indians wouldn't warrant historical note in the 1600-1700s, when we do know Indian leaders had operations in the Andamans.

Razgovory

Yes, but you can't get a blood sample from Adamanese people to check their DNA, thus it's difficult to prove if they share a last common ancestor with anyone.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on February 04, 2013, 08:04:27 PM
Quote from: PJL on February 04, 2013, 04:54:44 PM
Even in Britain it is reckoned that 80% of the population has some royal ancestry (legitimate or otherwise) and that only after a few hundred years.
I'm potentially descended from the Plantagenets (via a line of bastardy) myself. :cool:

I've never actually had time to verify all of the links in the ancestral chain, but I'm 90% sure I'm descended via my mother's mother from the family Scott of Scott's Hall.
That family connects to the Plantagenet dynasty via Sir Edmund Scott (my 10th great grandfather, who was also a direct descendant of John Balliol)'s mother Margaret Pigot, whose 6th great grandfather was William de Burgh, Earl of Ulster, who claimed his grandmother was Joan of Acre, daughter of Edward Longshanks.  I think the de Burgh connection to the Plantagenets is disputed, and I'm not 100% sure my Scott line is connected to Sir Edmund Scott.  I know for certain I'm directly descended from Benjamin Scott, who was one of the Quaker Commissioners that founded West New Jersey.

Of course, all of this assumes that none of the related chicks got pregnant out of wedlock and had someone's kid other than their husband's.... and someplace in there between me and Longshanks there is a bastard descent but I don't recall exactly where, and the chain is so long it would take me a while to go back and figure it out.

Anyway, I have no reason to think my genealogy is particularly remarkable and from doing collaborative genealogy research I know there are *tons* of people out there in the US who are descended from Benjamin Scott and therefore potentially from the Plantagenets as well.

The only interesting thing is knowing exactly how you are descended from British Royalty.  Virtually everybody of British descent is.  Both my kids are of easily traceable legitimate (allegedly anyway  :P) descent from Edward III which is sorta cool but I am pretty sure I am also descended from Edward III.  And what couldn't be more awesome than being descended from the dude who started the longest war in Euro history?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 07:23:32 PM
Bingo! 14 generations of direct male descent in the Capetian dynasty.

I think you are confusing the 14 generations back that Henry of Navarre had to go to find a common ancestor with Henry III with some kind of "14 generations of direct male descent."  In fact, the Salic law didn't require that the new king be the son or grandson of the old king, just that only male descendents could inherit.  John I (the 12th Capetian in a line of direct descent from Hugh Capet) died in infancy in 1316 and was succeeded by his uncle. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Solmyr

They computer-generated his face too now.

Razgovory

Looks like they computer generated it with plastic.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on February 05, 2013, 09:42:58 AM
Looks like they computer generated it with plastic.

Not to mention some make-up.  :lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Tamas

Admiral Yi

Quote from: grumbler on February 05, 2013, 09:35:01 AM
I think you are confusing the 14 generations back that Henry of Navarre had to go to find a common ancestor with Henry III with some kind of "14 generations of direct male descent."  In fact, the Salic law didn't require that the new king be the son or grandson of the old king, just that only male descendents could inherit.  John I (the 12th Capetian in a line of direct descent from Hugh Capet) died in infancy in 1316 and was succeeded by his uncle.

Perhaps I got the number of generations wrong.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 04, 2013, 07:45:46 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 04, 2013, 07:36:25 PM
How ironic it had to end with decapetation.

Actually it ended when the Capetian line failed and the Bourbons took over.

Sorry.  :(

Henri III was murdered, admittedly not by guillotine.  He did lose his head a few times though.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: grumbler on February 05, 2013, 09:35:01 AM
John I (the 12th Capetian in a line of direct descent from Hugh Capet) died in infancy in 1316 and was succeeded by his uncle.

Or alternatively became an Italian banker.  ;)
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Solmyr

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2013, 01:44:16 PM

Henri III was murdered, admittedly not by guillotine.  He did lose his head a few times though.

Come to think of it, Henri II and IV were killed too. Must be an unlucky name for French kings.

Valmy

Quote from: Solmyr on February 05, 2013, 04:24:08 PM
Come to think of it, Henri II and IV were killed too. Must be an unlucky name for French kings.

Henry V was the greatest of French Kings, as his stupidity killed the French Monarchy forever.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Solmyr on February 05, 2013, 04:24:08 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2013, 01:44:16 PM

I'd say all 3 of them had better luck than Francis II and Charles IX between them, as in you know - they made it past their 20s. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.