"American Sniper" Chris Kyle shot dead at shooting range

Started by Syt, February 03, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 10:50:49 AM
(edit) your own use of "whore pills" might serve as another example.. though i don't know if you intend to "troll" people with that comment. you know it's ludicrous, yet you say it anyway because... i mean, who would? it amuses you, saying it.. because it's so ridiculous

I explained that one a couple times.  Of course it was a troll, and I have zero problems with women purchasing birth control pills with their own money. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:31:40 AM
Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2013, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2013, 10:38:34 AM
Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 10:35:59 AM
"martinus wasn't trolling, just exaggerating his opinion - an opinion that is wrong"

Isn't that what trolling often is?

It depends how you define trolling. The most typical definition is presenting an opinion completely different from one's own, with a sole purpose of creating a negative reaction. If you choose to define any hyperbole you disagree with as trolling, be my guest though.

I think you're wrong. Trolling is just posting with the intent of getting an emotional response. Whether or not you believe what you are saying is irrelevant - purpose is key.

:yes:

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2013, 11:37:26 AMI explained that one a couple times.  Of course it was a troll, and I have zero problems with women purchasing birth control pills with their own money.

-shrugs-

maybe you have an antiquated view of what a troll is. to me, it's someone who purposefully tries to anger someone, or otherwise create a hostile - upset - reaction. maybe that's what martinus was attempting, but it didn't seem like it to me. just seemed like a hilariously ridiculous comment, which its core might open for debate

just like a lie demands that the person is purposefully lying

or that a threat requires the person to issue an actual threat (wrong example, given the Slargos Incident? :P)

a troll must have that intent on the person trolling. if that intent does not exist, then it's something else. if martinus did make the comment solely to rile everyone up, then yes.. he was trolling.. but it doesn't seem like that was the case

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:31:40 AMpurpose is key.

indeed, it is. was it martinus' purpose to rile everyone up? i'm not sure! maybe, and if so, then yes, it was a troll. if it was meant more as personal amusement, then no, it was not

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 11:34:08 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:32:34 AMOk.

Also, why would we care for niceties? A bit late to start now.

i don't really see martinus' comment being at all offensive, except to those who have a habit of taking offense. to be honest, i laughed when i read it.. i knew exactly what he was doing

(Edit) i mean.. there's a place for those who do not want such comments to appear on their browser, right? EUOT?

Sorry but not really interested in hearing about how the two of you are butt buds.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 11:46:33 AM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:31:40 AMpurpose is key.

indeed, it is. was it martinus' purpose to rile everyone up? i'm not sure! maybe, and if so, then yes, it was a troll. if it was meant more as personal amusement, then no, it was not

Well that's what most of the discussion was about earlier. Whether or not that was his intent. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 12:03:20 PMWell that's what most of the discussion was about earlier. Whether or not that was his intent. ;)

seems from his comment earlier regarding my post, that simply riling people up was not his intent

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 12:04:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 12:03:20 PMWell that's what most of the discussion was about earlier. Whether or not that was his intent. ;)

seems from his comment earlier regarding my post, that simply riling people up was not his intent

I'm not sure I agree given that you said (and he then agreed) that it isn't really a "troll" if it is an opinion you believe.

Part and parcel of his amusement is that he knew the manner in which he presented his opinion was bound to draw attention/ire.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

LaCroix

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2013, 12:15:17 PMYou'll have to be more specific.

QuoteNo shit.

let's see if i remember correctly...

jacob said something to slargos, who responded: "i hope your wife gets xxx" - i honestly forget if it was raped by a pack of ethnic groups, or murdered, or what

anyway, a number of languishites responded by saying that slargos had actually threatened jacob. it was utterly ludicrous, and i think it took awhile for someone to actually come out and say.. "uh, slargos did no such thing."

so, that is the slargos incident(tm). i hope that clarifies the matter

Quote from: GarbonI'm not sure I agree given that you said (and he then agreed) that it isn't really a "troll" if it is an opinion you believe.

Part and parcel of his amusement is that he knew the manner in which he presented his opinion was bound to draw attention/ire.

ahh.. but "drawing attention/ire" is not part of the contract in trollhood, is it? after all, any comment could draw attention/ire, even if it is not a troll. that is why the purpose is a required component of a troll. otherwise any simple comment could be lambasted by an onlooker as a troll, and that would be utterly nonsensical

as you correctly said, a troll requires a purpose to troll. if that purpose is not there, and it's either said with amusement/entertainment/what-have-you... or if it's said in complete honesty... then it's something entirely different from a troll

Valmy

Marty says things in an outrageous/belligerent way to get attention and satisfy his narcissistic tendencies.  Come on people who long have we known this guy?

And I do not really get his criticism.  One of the most painful sacrifices of becoming a soldier is becoming brutalized and perhaps even a bit of a monster because your community/nation/whatever needs you to.  That haunts military people for a long time as they try to rejoin society but it is part of the gig.  Typically the normal response is to recognize that sacrifice and difficulty in some way not rejoice that they got what they deserved for doing what we all asked them to do.  I guess if they were a monster and joined the army just to commit acts of bloody violence with social consent that is one thing but this guy does not seem to be that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 12:26:52 PM
ahh.. but "drawing attention/ire" is not part of the contract in trollhood, is it? after all, any comment could draw attention/ire, even if it is not a troll. that is why the purpose is a required component of a troll. otherwise any simple comment could be lambasted by an onlooker as a troll, and that would be utterly nonsensical

as you correctly said, a troll requires a purpose to troll. if that purpose is not there, and it's either said with amusement/entertainment/what-have-you... or if it's said in complete honesty... then it's something entirely different from a troll

I don't often do it myself but I think a common reason why a person would troll is for their own amusement. :huh:

PDH

Can't we all get along?  Mart is both a dick and a troll.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM