"American Sniper" Chris Kyle shot dead at shooting range

Started by Syt, February 03, 2013, 02:28:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 06:40:17 AM
seems obvious to me. martinus has an opinion: "military men, especially those who are tasked with utter murder of an individual and repeat it on a monthly basis, are akin psychopaths either by nature or developed through experience; they would be persecuted against back home if they did what they did back there"

he greatly exaggerates his position as he is wont to do on languish. it's not necessarily a "troll" in the sense that he completely bullshits the argument he's making, but rather he offers an extremist view of what he really believes - probably out of personal amusement (i mean, really, who says that sort of thing?). now, it may be an incorrect opinion, but that's for others to decide via debate

This is pretty much correct to a T.

garbon

he greatly exaggerates his position as he is wont to do on languish. it's not necessarily a "troll" in the sense that he completely bullshits the argument he's making, but rather he offers an extremist view of what he really believes - probably out of personal amusement (i mean, really, who says that sort of thing?). now, it may be an incorrect opinion, but that's for others to decide via debate

Even if this is what he thought (as he then has now agreed with), I don't see why this would be worthy of debate. Pretty foolish argument.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 09:57:39 AM
o-okay... i guess i'm sorry you feel that way? i don't know how else to respond based off what you've said

The crux of its crappiness is in the proposition that it's akin to psychopathic behavior that we would not tolerate if done in our country.  Well no shit we wouldn't tolerate it in our country.  War is by definition an unpleasant activity that we perform on others because they are performing unpleasant activities on us or our friends.  If Paul Tibbet dropped an atomic bomb on me right now I would be mighty pissed off, but that wouldn't make him a psychopath, any more than a cop killing someone in a gun fight is a psychopath.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 10:09:52 AM

Even if this is what he thought (as he then has now agreed with), I don't see why this would be worthy of debate. Pretty foolish argument.

Yuppers.  Doesn't make it the slightest bit easier to go along with.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

[Even if this is what he thought (as he then has now agreed with), I don't see why this would be worthy of debate. Pretty foolish argument.

hey, i'm not saying it's worthy of debate, or that it should be a debate. i saw someone post some pretty radical comments, and posted what i thought they meant in actuality. my "that's for others to decide via debate" was more.. well, pointing out that it was a comment that others might not agree with

garbon

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 10:28:19 AM
[Even if this is what he thought (as he then has now agreed with), I don't see why this would be worthy of debate. Pretty foolish argument.

hey, i'm not saying it's worthy of debate, or that it should be a debate. i saw someone post some pretty radical comments, and posted what i thought they meant in actuality. my "that's for others to decide via debate" was more.. well, pointing out that it was a comment that others might not agree with

Can you re-phrase? I genuinely don't understand what nuance you are getting at?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 10:29:39 AMCan you re-phrase? I genuinely don't understand what nuance you are getting at?

i didn't want to, but.. okay

"martinus wasn't trolling, just exaggerating his opinion - an opinion that is wrong"

i just felt it was nicer to say it was "for others to decide via debate"

derspiess

Quote from: LaCroix on February 07, 2013, 10:35:59 AM
"martinus wasn't trolling, just exaggerating his opinion - an opinion that is wrong"

Isn't that what trolling often is?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2013, 10:07:51 AM

naturally. it's pretty common, i've done it myself a number of times on other sites. a lesser version of it is cdm here, where he cries foul to the plight of the black man while calling them irritable "dazzling urbanites." it's just you've gathered a reputation to the extent where people tend to believe you + you're less obvious, or something

LaCroix

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2013, 10:38:34 AMIsn't that what trolling often is?

it could be. too often people's comments are considered trolling when they are not. a person who is trolling tends to make an utter BS comment is supposed to incite rage. someone doing it for the utter irony of it, or out of amusement to their personal self... such as "man, if I call this person a homicidal murderer when he clearly isn't" .. it's more of a .. well, not really a -joke-, but more of entertainment to the person saying it. it's so outrageous/audacious that it's not really a troll. others who don't realize what it is may consider it a troll, definitely - that's actually really common

i wish i wasn't such a broken record, but to recall cdm's use of the term dazzingly urbanites while discussing urban plight, i don't know if people consider that "trolling"

(edit) your own use of "whore pills" might serve as another example.. though i don't know if you intend to "troll" people with that comment. you know it's ludicrous, yet you say it anyway because... i mean, who would? it amuses you, saying it.. because it's so ridiculous

Maximus

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2013, 10:07:51 AM
seems obvious to me. martinus has an opinion: "military men, especially those who are tasked with utter murder of an individual and repeat it on a monthly basis, are akin psychopaths either by nature or developed through experience; they would be persecuted against back home if they did what they did back there"

Ok, but you're missing the point. It's a part of society's way of placing a control on the beast that is awakend when a human is trained to kill another. In the past societies have done this in various ways-- the civalric code, the gentleman's code, bushido, etc-- and looked down on warriors who didn't fit that form. The modern ideal of military discipline is similar; they do their(very necessary) job, maintain discipline, don't stoop to atrocity etc, and in return we give them a certain amount of respect and benefits.

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2013, 10:38:34 AM

It depends how you define trolling. The most typical definition is presenting an opinion completely different from one's own, with a sole purpose of creating a negative reaction. If you choose to define any hyperbole you disagree with as trolling, be my guest though.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on February 07, 2013, 11:24:07 AM
Quote from: derspiess on February 07, 2013, 10:38:34 AM

It depends how you define trolling. The most typical definition is presenting an opinion completely different from one's own, with a sole purpose of creating a negative reaction. If you choose to define any hyperbole you disagree with as trolling, be my guest though.

I think you're wrong. Trolling is just posting with the intent of getting an emotional response. Whether or not you believe what you are saying is irrelevant - purpose is key.

garbon

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 10:29:39 AMCan you re-phrase? I genuinely don't understand what nuance you are getting at?

i didn't want to, but.. okay

i just felt it was nicer to say it was "for others to decide via debate"

Ok.

Also, why would we care for niceties? A bit late to start now.

LaCroix

Quote from: garbon on February 07, 2013, 11:32:34 AMOk.

Also, why would we care for niceties? A bit late to start now.

i don't really see martinus' comment being at all offensive, except to those who have a habit of taking offense. to be honest, i laughed when i read it.. i knew exactly what he was doing

(Edit) i mean.. there's a place for those who do not want such comments to appear on their browser, right? EUOT?