News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chernobyl & the Fall of the USSR

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2013, 08:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2013, 07:59:29 PM
The war helped erase the biggest advantage the Soviet Union had, population.
Lots of Russians died, but there were plenty more left.  Losing 1/8th of the population isn't really something that's good for the country, but it's not going to depopulate it.  It's also not like the young men were the only ones dying;  thanks to hunger and genocidal policies by Germans, every age group pitched in.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Viking on January 28, 2013, 08:08:22 PM
For most conventional fields 1920s technology is still used today and is more than good enough.

Not when it was managed by Soviet Russians it wasn't.

jimmy olsen

For most conventional fields 1920s technology is still used today and is more than good enough.
I find this a dubious proposition.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on January 28, 2013, 08:18:24 PM
Lots of Russians died, but there were plenty more left.  Losing 1/8th of the population isn't really something that's good for the country, but it's not going to depopulate it.  It's also not like the young men were the only ones dying;  thanks to hunger and genocidal policies by Germans, every age group pitched in.

Yeah, but like half the deaths were military age so that had to hurt.  And there also deaths from the famines, forced relocation, purges etc.  The "echo" of the war could be seen the population of the Soviet Union for the rest of its' existence.  It hit ethnic Russians especially hard, which were the only ones the Soviet government really trusted.  A firm majority of Ethnic Russians were required to keep the country together, if the hold of Russia on the other republics weakened they risked the possibility of the individual republics just leaving (which eventually happened).
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2013, 08:30:40 PM

How much time have you spent in close proximity to oil field equipment ?

Hint:
a lot of it ain't that hight tech, think more along the lines of tried and tested.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2013, 08:33:40 PM

Yeah, but like half the deaths were military age so that had to hurt.  And there also deaths from the famines, forced relocation, purges etc.  The "echo" of the war could be seen the population of the Soviet Union for the rest of its' existence.  It hit ethnic Russians especially hard, which were the only ones the Soviet government really trusted.  A firm majority of Ethnic Russians were required to keep the country together, if the hold of Russia on the other republics weakened they risked the possibility of the individual republics just leaving (which eventually happened).
Didn't the war and Stalin's hijinks hit the Ukranians even harder? They were the second largest ethnic group and the ones most likely to make trouble.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: mongers on January 28, 2013, 08:35:10 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2013, 08:30:40 PM

How much time have you spent in close proximity to oil field equipment ?

Hint:
a lot of it ain't that hight tech, think more along the lines of tried and tested.
:face: I wasn't think oil fields when I read that statement, I was thinking of all fields of endeavors.

1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2013, 08:33:40 PM

WWII casualties weren't disproportionally Russian.  A lot of it had to do with the fact that the western-most republics were the ones most heavily occupied for the longest period.  As for age groups, while military age casualties were disproportionate, older groups were running at the overall overage, and the youngest ones were running below average.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II_casualties_of_the_Soviet_Union

Razgovory

:huh:  Did you read the link you provided?  Soviet military dead by nationality is 66% Russian, the second higher is Ukrainian with 15%.  The Soviet Union preferred ethnic Russians to make the majority of most of it's military units.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

citizen k

There should have been one more Georgian casualty.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: citizen k on January 28, 2013, 10:55:43 PM
There should have been one more Georgian casualty.

I don't think Jonas is that old.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2013, 08:58:30 PM
:huh:  Did you read the link you provided?  Soviet military dead by nationality is 66% Russian, the second higher is Ukrainian with 15%.  The Soviet Union preferred ethnic Russians to make the majority of most of it's military units.
The more important stat is the % of casualties in each Soviet Republic. Several republics suffered more than Russia.

Moreover a quick look at the math shows that Russians were 56.7% of the population of the USSR, and according to that chart they made up 52.4% of the casualties.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 28, 2013, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2013, 08:58:30 PM
The more important stat is the % of casualties in each Soviet Republic. Several republics suffered more than Russia.

Moreover a quick look at the math shows that Russians were 56.7% of the population of the USSR, and according to that chart they made up 52.4% of the casualties.

Yeah, but those Soviet Republics were not homogenous, they all had ethnic Russians in them.