UK to Romanians and Bulgarians: Don't come here, it sucks.

Started by The Larch, January 29, 2013, 06:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I don't think Polish migrants have a bad rep in Austria. Turks/other Middle Easterners, because they're very visible.

Serbs/Croats, maybe, but much less than Turks - mostly because the Serbs and Croats combined are the largest group of foreigners/migrants in Austria (in total it's Germans before Serbs).

You get the usual cliché jokes about thieving Poles, but that's about it.

There's a couple of Polish shops in Vienna, though (about as many as Russian ones, I'd say).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on January 30, 2013, 09:35:50 AM
Quote from: Brazen on January 30, 2013, 08:54:19 AM
I was doing some census research for this as recalled my home town Enfield had one of highest populations of Poles in the UK, but more recently I've heard less Polish and more Russian, Romanian and Bulgarian. I was somewhat surprised to find that the borough is more than 50% non-white British, until I found out that that includes Greeks, Turks and Cypriots, who run all our restaurants and have been here for two or three generations, and basically characterise north London. They seem pretty white and pretty British to me.

[Hortlund]Greeks, Turks and Cypriots are not white.[/Hortlund]
And neither are you, Slav.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.