News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Chernobyl & the Fall of the USSR

Started by jimmy olsen, January 28, 2013, 08:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 28, 2013, 08:58:30 PM
:huh:  Did you read the link you provided?  Soviet military dead by nationality is 66% Russian, the second higher is Ukrainian with 15%.  The Soviet Union preferred ethnic Russians to make the majority of most of it's military units.
Yeah, I did read it, and I also interpreted correctly.  It's 63% of military dead, first of all.  Second of all, Russians also made up 57% of all Soviet people, so again Russian casualties weren't that disproportionate.

Razgovory

Were did you find the percentage of Russians making up all Soviet citizens?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2013, 12:21:51 AM
Were did you find the percentage of Russians making up all Soviet citizens?
It's right there in one of the tables.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Razgovory

Well I suppose that settles it.  I'll concede to what ever DGuller was saying.  Defeated again. :(

Martinus

It definitely was a massive embarassment for the regime so I would say it has contributed.

The Minsky Moment

Soviet economic performance in the 50s and 60s was pretty respectable.  Yes there were horrible inefficiencies in capital allocation, and innovation lagged in certain areas, but that is also true of China today.  The extensive economic policy eventually hit a ceiling by the late 60s.  However, the stagnation was masked for a time by the huge run-up in oil prices - the Soviet Union tranformed itself from a heavy industrial powerhouse to a big Slavic oil sheikhdom.  CdM and Raz are mistaken to the extent they are claiming that failure to upgrade the fields was the key problem in the Soviet era.  In fact, production ramped up enormously in the Brezhnev era, as the western Siberian fields first came on line.  Production hit a peak around 1980 but stayed steady throughout the Gorbachev period to the very end.  The problem was not production levels, but price.  The bottom fell out of the oil market in the 1980s, and state revenues collapsed.  This was forseen by Andropov hence the tentative moves towards reform, and when the crash came in the mid-80s, Gorbachev was forced to accelerate the perestroika reforms.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Martinus

Quote from: Drakken on January 28, 2013, 10:54:59 AM
Chernobyl did contribute indirectly to the Fall of USSR by creating an aura of distrust on Gorbatchev's reform policy, by pinpointing that glasnost wouldn't be total in that the Soviet government would still keep hiding even big, collectively lethal environmental hazards on its frontstep to protect its hide, and that the level of bureaucratic mismanagement and amateurism was so much higher than expected, that it could become life-threatening in itself.

Yeah. It was Soviet Union's "necklace affair".

The Minsky Moment

BTW for those interested in the subject of the Soviet collapse, I would recommend Stephen Kotkin's Armageddon Averted: The Soviet Collapse, 1970-2000.  Short, and a pretty breezy read.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2013, 10:12:22 AM
Soviet economic performance in the 50s and 60s was pretty respectable.  Yes there were horrible inefficiencies in capital allocation, and innovation lagged in certain areas, but that is also true of China today.  The extensive economic policy eventually hit a ceiling by the late 60s.  However, the stagnation was masked for a time by the huge run-up in oil prices - the Soviet Union tranformed itself from a heavy industrial powerhouse to a big Slavic oil sheikhdom.  CdM and Raz are mistaken to the extent they are claiming that failure to upgrade the fields was the key problem in the Soviet era.  In fact, production ramped up enormously in the Brezhnev era, as the western Siberian fields first came on line.  Production hit a peak around 1980 but stayed steady throughout the Gorbachev period to the very end.  The problem was not production levels, but price.  The bottom fell out of the oil market in the 1980s, and state revenues collapsed.  This was forseen by Andropov hence the tentative moves towards reform, and when the crash came in the mid-80s, Gorbachev was forced to accelerate the perestroika reforms.

Man, you guys are just not cutting me any breaks today. :(

crazy canuck

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 29, 2013, 10:22:39 AM
BTW for those interested in the subject of the Soviet collapse, I would recommend Stephen Kotkin's Armageddon Averted: The Soviet Collapse, 1970-2000.  Short, and a pretty breezy read.

Thanks for the recommendation

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2013, 02:16:05 PM

It wasn't a bad guess.  Underinvestment and technological lags were big causes of thepost-Soviet period problems in the industry, problems which continue to this day.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

What about my other point:  did Soviet territory have to disintegrate along with their economy, or was this not inevitable?  Apart from the Baltic countries, it's hard to think of a former Soviet republic that benefited from the breakup.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 29, 2013, 02:16:05 PM

I'm taking it easy on you :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 29, 2013, 04:18:44 PM
What about my other point:  did Soviet territory have to disintegrate along with their economy, or was this not inevitable?  Apart from the Baltic countries, it's hard to think of a former Soviet republic that benefited from the breakup.

Azerbaijan?  Georgia?

Anyway the ones who wanted to stay close to Russia have, and have enjoyed whatever supposed benefits in doing so.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall