AP: Technology destroying jobs faster than it's creating them.

Started by jimmy olsen, January 24, 2013, 09:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Barrister on January 25, 2013, 11:04:42 AM
Though the thought makes me glad that I'm in a legal sector unconnected to any of those areas.

Doesn't affect you personally but it affects the market.  The competition for good government legal jobs is more intense now that the demand for private legal services by financial clients has cooled.

But I don't see this necessarily implying the imminent annhiliation of the entire legal profession by robots.  More likely its a signal that comparative enrollment rates in law school vs. engineering programs (for example) should return to historical norms.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 25, 2013, 12:43:25 PM
... the imminent annhiliation of the entire legal profession by robots.
:mmm:

Now there's an idea I can get behind.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 24, 2013, 01:11:41 PM
Oh for godsake I was being tongue-in-cheek as well.  Just pointing out even servants are not wanted anymore.  Just wait until the prostitutes lose their jobs to Holodecks.

Is that true? They often aren't live-ins but plenty of people have housecleaners/nannies/babysitters.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on January 25, 2013, 01:47:50 PM
Is that true? They often aren't live-ins but plenty of people have housecleaners/nannies/babysitters.

In the sense that Dick was talking about.  Generally people want as few of those sorts of people in their business as they can.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

If the unskilled masses can't sell their work they'll have to work for themselves. Subsistence farming or starvation (mostly starvation).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: The Brain on January 25, 2013, 02:37:19 PM
If the unskilled masses can't sell their work they'll have to work for themselves. Subsistence farming or starvation (mostly starvation).

Subsistence farming requires access to arable land.

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 02:42:31 PM
Quote from: The Brain on January 25, 2013, 02:37:19 PM

Subsistence farming requires access to arable land.

Hence my last observation.

Neil

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 25, 2013, 01:45:29 PM
Somebody just got an Alberta boner.
I'm just saying...  Doesn't that sound like a world you'd want to live in?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Eddie Teach

Why starve when you can just take the rich man's food?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 25, 2013, 03:10:38 PM
Why starve when you just take the rich man's food?

Take? If the rich don't give them food I'm sure the robot armies could take care of any troublemakers.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 25, 2013, 03:10:38 PM
Why starve when you just take the rich man's food?

Because the rich man's dependents are more heavily armed than you are.

Neil

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2013, 03:12:29 PM
Because the rich man's dependents are more heavily armed than you are.
That's always been true, but rebellions from below have often been rather deadly for the rich.  Even the anarchist craze of the 19th century made their mark.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on January 25, 2013, 03:29:14 PM
That's always been true, but rebellions from below have often been rather deadly for the rich.  Even the anarchist craze of the 19th century made their mark.

Arms procurement and ammunition resupply would be orders of magnitude easier for the haves than for the have nots.