Japan Threatens To Fire On Chinese Fighters, China: There Will Be No Second Shot

Started by jimmy olsen, January 22, 2013, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

No way would Japan get nukes, they're already paranoid enough about nuclear power plants.

If it came down to all out mass-murdering war though they could do nuke level damage with an attack on the 3 gorges.

QuoteOf the two, I think I dislike Japanese more. Can't wait for China to curbstomp them
You hate a land with a long history of man-love and is culturally and legally one of the more LGBT tolerant countries out there over one which until recently put its gays in camps and still stamps down on any attempts at organisation?
██████
██████
██████

Viking

Quote from: derspiess on January 22, 2013, 12:33:46 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 22, 2013, 12:31:58 PM
Japan is clearly leveraging the fact that not only are their fighters better, their fighters are at least a full generation better than the Chinese ones.

They're nowhere near as good as a flying T-72, though :contract:

While it doesn't match the flying T-72 for firepower and armor the F-15 has superior avionics not to mention superior thrust to weight ratio.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

dps

Quote from: Razgovory on January 22, 2013, 01:43:43 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 22, 2013, 01:37:05 PM
If Japan and China start trading blows, how do they stack up against one another (assuming at the moment that everyone else remain uninvolved)?

They really can't hurt one another that much.  It's like kids with nerf bats.

To get a better picture of the situation, imagine that one kid has a 20-foot long nerf bat, but it's in such bad condition that if he actually swings it, probably about 3/4 of it falls off, and the other kid has a really really high quality but rather fragile mechanical pencil.

Jacob

Quote from: dps on January 23, 2013, 12:45:14 AMTo get a better picture of the situation, imagine that one kid has a 20-foot long nerf bat, but it's in such bad condition that if he actually swings it, probably about 3/4 of it falls off, and the other kid has a really really high quality but rather fragile mechanical pencil.

This seems to imply that the Japanese and Chinese won't be able to actually kill one another in any numbers, which I doubt to be honest. I mean, even the North Koreans manage to kill South Koreans every so often.

Are there any operational or logistical constraints that prevent either party from projecting force to the islands in question? And once they're there, is there anything that makes it so that they can't actually kill one another?

I get that neither side possesses anything like American capabilities, and that a scenario where either side utterly destroys the other country's infrastructure and ability to wage war is unlikely.

However, if there's some sort of Falklands War like scenario, how do the sides stack up against each other? If both sides send some sort of task force to the area and they start trying to kill each other, who will come out on top?

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Martinus

Quote from: Caliga on January 22, 2013, 07:52:52 PM
I would guess Mart dislikes Japan because he views it as a US puppet, and since he dislikes the US because we allow some of our gays to marry (unlike Poland where none of the gays are allowed to marry), he dislikes Japan by extension. :hmm:

You guess wrong.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Caliga

Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 03:37:47 AM
You guess wrong.
So what's the real reason?  It's weird to hear someone in the West say they favor China over Japan. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

sbr

Quote from: Caliga on January 23, 2013, 07:54:13 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 23, 2013, 03:37:47 AM
You guess wrong.
So what's the real reason?  It's weird to hear someone in the West say they favor China over Japan. :hmm:

I think I found the problem.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on January 22, 2013, 02:57:11 PM
But Japan is a party to the NNPT, whereas all three of those non-signatory countries have quite 'legally' built nuclear weapons

So I expect much of the effective opposition to such a move would be internal whether from peace activists, anti-nuclear/bomb survivors groups or those mounting legal challenges as Japan would have to break a major treaty obligation, unless it went through the process of withdrawing from the treaty first, something only N.Korea has done.

I read somewhere that Japanese possession of nuclear weaponry is not considered unconstitutional, as the Japanese Supreme Court determined in the late 1960's that a "nuclear deterrent" is defensive in nature and therefore not defined as offensive, particularly in the event that the United States abrogated its treaty responsibilities of providing for Japanese nuclear security. 

Lettow77

Japan isn't culturally ready to have nuclear weapons, or really, it seems to me, even to fight this war.

Being attacked might wake them from it. I hope cooler heads prevail in Beijing.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2013, 08:17:22 AM
I read somewhere that Japanese possession of nuclear weaponry is not considered unconstitutional, as the Japanese Supreme Court determined in the late 1960's that a "nuclear deterrent" is defensive in nature and therefore not defined as offensive, particularly in the event that the United States abrogated its treaty responsibilities of providing for Japanese nuclear security.

I think if we abrogated our treaty responsibilities, the whole pacifist constitution we basically forced on them is going out the window.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 23, 2013, 09:16:51 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 23, 2013, 08:17:22 AM

I think if we abrogated our treaty responsibilities, the whole pacifist constitution we basically forced on them is going out the window.

That's pretty much what they said.

Admiral Yi

It's pretty meaningless anyway.  The Nips already recognize self defense as consistent with their constitution, and only wacko renegade countries fight wars of conquest in this day and age.