Japan Threatens To Fire On Chinese Fighters, China: There Will Be No Second Shot

Started by jimmy olsen, January 22, 2013, 08:26:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Viking

Japan is clearly leveraging the fact that not only are their fighters better, their fighters are at least a full generation better than the Chinese ones.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

derspiess

Quote from: Viking on January 22, 2013, 12:31:58 PM
Japan is clearly leveraging the fact that not only are their fighters better, their fighters are at least a full generation better than the Chinese ones.

They're nowhere near as good as a flying T-72, though :contract:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

If Japan and China start trading blows, how do they stack up against one another (assuming at the moment that everyone else remain uninvolved)?

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on January 22, 2013, 01:37:05 PM
If Japan and China start trading blows, how do they stack up against one another (assuming at the moment that everyone else remain uninvolved)?

They really can't hurt one another that much.  It's like kids with nerf bats.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

Considering we have a number of major bases on Okinawa, being so close to China and the disputed islands...I think it is nearly impossible that we would not be involved.

Unless China were to ignore any Japanese assets operating out of Naha.

Jacob

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 22, 2013, 02:16:27 PM
Considering we have a number of major bases on Okinawa, being so close to China and the disputed islands...I think it is nearly impossible that we would not be involved.

Unless China were to ignore any Japanese assets operating out of Naha.

I'm thinking less of a full out war situation and more of a both sides send assets to the islands to shoot at each other and try to drive the other side off.

Zanza

I wonder what would happen if Japan would declare its intent to get nuclear weapons. It's not really feasible to put them under Iran or North Korea style sanctions after all. ;)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2013, 02:24:56 PM
I wonder what would happen if Japan would declare its intent to get nuclear weapons. It's not really feasible to put them under Iran or North Korea style sanctions after all. ;)
Same thing that would happen when India and Pakistan got them.

They could also go with the Israeli option.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tonitrus

I think the whole point of Japan not having nukes, is that we have basically promised that we would use our nukes in any situation that make it practical(Hod forbid) for Japan to use them.

If Japan lost that kind of faith in our alliance, and we let that faith be lost...do we really have an alliance left?

Admiral Yi

Most analyses I've read of Japan and nukes is that it's rooted in their horror at being the sole target.

Tonitrus

Well, if D-Day had not been successful, Germany probably would have gotten their share as well.

derspiess

Quote from: Tonitrus on January 22, 2013, 02:46:00 PM
Well, if D-Day had not been successful, Germany probably would have gotten their share as well.

Still, what Yi said.  Maybe it would take another generation dying out before they're open to the idea.

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 22, 2013, 02:29:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 22, 2013, 02:24:56 PM
Same thing that would happen when India and Pakistan got them.

They could also go with the Israeli option.

But Japan is a party to the NNPT, whereas all three of those non-signatory countries have quite 'legally' built nuclear weapons

So I expect much of the effective opposition to such a move would be internal whether from peace activists, anti-nuclear/bomb survivors groups or those mounting legal challenges as Japan would have to break a major treaty obligation, unless it went through the process of withdrawing from the treaty first, something only N.Korea has done.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"