News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Do you have a written employment contract?

Started by Zanza, January 20, 2013, 03:32:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you have a written employment contract?

Yes (USA)
5 (11.4%)
Yes (ROTW)
25 (56.8%)
No (USA)
14 (31.8%)
No (ROTW)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Zanza

If you are an employer, feel free to answer for your employees. Do they have a written contract with you?

Related question: How do legal proceedings on employment work in your place if you don't have a written contract? Let's say you were promised a certain amount of pay or vacation and the employer later does not actually give it to you.

Sheilbh

Every job I've had has had a written contract. Even part-time in the local McColls when I was 16. I think it's a legal requirement here :mellow:
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 20, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on January 20, 2013, 03:40:25 PM
I think it's a legal requirement here :mellow:
Not according to this: https://www.gov.uk/employment-contracts-and-conditions/overview
That just means an employment contract can be binding even when it's verbal.

The contract doesn't have to be written when it's agreed. But the employer has to provide a written contract (or document with the main terms of the contract) within eight weeks of employment commencing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Martinus

The situation in Poland is the same as in the UK.

Zanza

I think it is actually the same in Germany. If the employer doesn't give you at least written rules within four weeks, he has the burden of proof about the content of the agreement.

MadImmortalMan

Yes, I have a contract. No, that does not mean my employer can't fire me at any time for any reason.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

PDH

I have a contract.  Beyond that I am employed by a Public University.  What that means is that while there are no unions here, gross incompetence or inability to perform my job really don't merit firing.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

sbr

I'm an American that isn't a pro athlete, so no.

Grey Fox

Yes, I think it's my first job with one too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on January 20, 2013, 07:27:46 PM
I don't even have a job. :(

Me neither.

Only contracts I'm obligated to are the mortgage and car payment.

Ed Anger

The firings will continue until morale improves.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Only person I personally know with a contract is a bud who is a producer at ABC.

katmai

Yeah sign contracts/deal memo for every job
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son