News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

War Thunder?

Started by Syt, January 18, 2013, 12:48:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

trying this out: is actually pretty nice

Strix

I like the game but it is becoming boring to play...they need to rename it Ram Thunder. The current strategy trend seems to be ramming lower rank planes into higher rank ones. This is making the game tedious and frustrating. It is very unrealistic.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Grey Fox

Quote from: Strix on January 24, 2013, 01:17:39 PM
I like the game but it is becoming boring to play...they need to rename it Ram Thunder. The current strategy trend seems to be ramming lower rank planes into higher rank ones. This is making the game tedious and frustrating. It is very unrealistic.

Did Goon squad invade the game?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Initial impression: fun! And my trusty Saitek X52 seems to be working fine in arcade mode. In a short participation, I got 1 kill, 1 assist I think plus some damage, and died 3 times. One of that was due to enemy fire. An other time I crashed with an enemy, third time I chased one to the ground. :D

Alcibiades

I dunno, I personally don't seem to have that big of a problem with ramming.   The only time it ever really happens to me is when I bounce another fighter. 

Otherwise it's me ramming someone by getting too close to them and doing risky things on their tail.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Strix

Fun battle today...

My PBY-5 and -5a got smoked by a MIG-15. I have never seen them one-shotted before.  :yuk:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Stonewall

Game is fabulous.  Loving every moment of it.  It might replace tanks as my MMO of choice.
"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Tamas

I am playing Arcade because if any of my friends will stick with this game, it will be on Arcade as they don't have joysticks.

I am noticing stuff like people having an easier time than I aiming with the mouse, that's ok.

What kind of realism I am supposed to expect? I see flaps are not working. Should I expect stuff like preferring boom&zoom with Messerschmits instead of trying to turn people out, or these differences are diluted in arcade?

Stonewall

Arcade by definition, is not serious flight simming.  It does model the different characteristics of the planes.  Boom and zoom in your 109's and Corsairs.  Due to the nature of the arcade part, though, luring people into stalls and spins doesn't work.    Planes often exceed their performance maximums for speed, and don't rip their wings off.  Mouse aiming makes shooting down planes rather easy at times.  You really do yourself a disadvantage by playing with a stick in arcade. 

Historical battles are the most fun.  I can play with my stick and not be hurting myself.  Do to the realism levels there, mouse + keyboard is inferior to a stick. Spins, stalls, airframe damage, etc is all modelled. 

Full realism is the last game mode.  Unless you're a trained pilot, that is just insane.  Mixture richness, trimming, and a whole host of complicated crap make it difficult.

"I'd just like to say that most of us begin life suckling on a breast. If we're lucky we end life suckling on a breast. So anybody who's against breasts is against life itself."

Stonewall

Another thing is that the game is made by Russians.  Russian planes tend to be a tad bit OP.  The main server is in Russia, which means North American players are looking at 200+ pings.  There is a secondary server somewhere in the EU that reduces the ping to a much more manageable 120ish for me on the East Coast.  That server, however, is less heavily populated and games take longer to get using only that server.  When too few players are online, the server actually moves everyone to the RU server.

Tamas

well yeah I noticed that even people who know fuckall about maneuvering (or cant due to controls) hardly miss a shot when they get behind me and I fell asleep. So mouseaim definetly looks superior to my struggling to hold on target with the joy. But throttle, rudders via turning the stick, all buttons at my fingertips... I just couldnt drop that

Alcibiades

Yeah....I've considered moving to the mouse but I'm still using my joystick for better or worse...
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 28, 2013, 03:24:35 PM
Yeah....I've considered moving to the mouse but I'm still using my joystick for better or worse...

yeah: flying is done with sticks. And if we hit less, at least we can feel morally- and infrastructurally- superior :p

Tamas

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 29, 2013, 03:07:32 AM
Quote from: Alcibiades on January 28, 2013, 03:24:35 PM

yeah: flying is done with sticks. And if we hit less, at least we can feel morally- and infrastructurally- superior :p

hells yeah!