News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should Meri report her professor?

Started by merithyn, January 17, 2013, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well? Should she?

Absolutely! Teaching manners to cads is far more important than her potential career.
No way! Keeping your head down and your nose clean is the way to go through life!
Don't know what you're talking about and/or frankly don't care.
Wheee! A poll!!

Martinus

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 04:13:52 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:09:05 PM
I like his attitude. He keeps it real.

There's keeping it real & stating your opinion, and then there's launching a crusade and spending way too much time talking about something.  He tends toward the latter sometimes.

Meh. Berkut is the straight me. He is like a dog who got his bone when a topic attracts his attention but I like this about him. The faux cool people like Jacob are the ones who make me sick.

Malthus

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 04:07:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:05:51 PM
For what it's worth, I find Berkurpt's attitude much more sensible than the faggot ponytail brigade here.

His attitude is actually what I take issue with.  I mostly agree with his opinion.

Berkut is Berkut. His manner doesn't change.  :berkut:

I don't see myself why all the drama. He wasn't trying to be offensive, until the torches-and-pitchforks mob came after him, far as I can see. The mob is making him out like he's some kind of woman-hatiing meanie, when he's just being his usual somewhat prickly self, same as he is on every topic.  Expecting him to change and be all sugardrops and rainbows? That's just not his style.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2013, 04:18:46 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 04:07:03 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:05:51 PM
For what it's worth, I find Berkurpt's attitude much more sensible than the faggot ponytail brigade here.

His attitude is actually what I take issue with.  I mostly agree with his opinion.

I don't see myself why all the drama. He wasn't trying to be offensive, until the torches-and-pitchforks mob came after him, far as I can see. The mob is making him out like he's some kind of woman-hatiing meanie, when he's just being his usual somewhat prickly self, same as he is on every topic.  Expecting him to change and be all sugardrops and rainbows? That's just not his style.

Pretty much. But attacking people like Berkut is how assholes score the poon. It's in their blood.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:05:31 PM
I agree with you plenty, and I disagree with you sometimes. I am not afraid to say so, although I am rather dissapointed that you cannot take me not agreeing with you without letting it become personal. That is unfortnate, but it isn't going to change how I respond to what I see.

You aren't just "not afraid to say so", you're willing to take it to the next level and crusade (to use derspeiss's term) and bully until we agree with you. There is no "difference of opinion" with you. There's your way or "YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE IT BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST TOO CAUGHT UP IN YOUR OWN WAY OF THINKING !!" Only with more spelling errors.

Every post you made in that thread was meant to belittle me because you didn't think it was that bad. And when I said that, yes, it was that bad TO ME, you then changed tactic to say, "Then you have no choice IF it was that bad but to do something. If you don't, the ONLY reason you wouldn't would be because it wasn't that bad."

I'm not sure what world you live in, but in mine, it's not all black and white. There are a whole lot of reasons why people do or don't do things, and rarely does it all boil down to one.

And by the way, I didn't take it personally. What I did do, however, was decide to disengage discussing it with you because I got tired of you being an asshole. You don't get to tell me how I should or shouldn't feel and what I should or shouldn't do based on what you think I should feel. That's not an "opinion"; that's being a dick.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:20:20 PM
Pretty much. But attacking people like Berkut is how assholes score the poon. It's in their blood.
:hmm:  There have to be more steps to it than that.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 18, 2013, 04:27:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on January 18, 2013, 04:20:20 PM
:hmm:  There have to be more steps to it than that.

Doesn't always work, but from what I've observed if you do it often enough it will work at some point.  I understand the temptation to do it, but never could sacrifice that much dignity.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on January 18, 2013, 04:26:10 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:05:31 PM
I agree with you plenty, and I disagree with you sometimes. I am not afraid to say so, although I am rather dissapointed that you cannot take me not agreeing with you without letting it become personal. That is unfortnate, but it isn't going to change how I respond to what I see.

You aren't just "not afraid to say so", you're willing to take it to the next level and crusade (to use derspeiss's term) and bully until we agree with you. There is no "difference of opinion" with you. There's your way or "YOU'RE WRONG AND YOU CAN'T EVEN SEE IT BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST TOO CAUGHT UP IN YOUR OWN WAY OF THINKING !!" Only with more spelling errors.

Every post you made in that thread was meant to belittle me because you didn't think it was that bad. And when I said that, yes, it was that bad TO ME, you then changed tactic to say, "Then you have no choice IF it was that bad but to do something. If you don't, the ONLY reason you wouldn't would be because it wasn't that bad."

I'm not sure what world you live in, but in mine, it's not all black and white. There are a whole lot of reasons why people do or don't do things, and rarely does it all boil down to one.

And by the way, I didn't take it personally. What I did do, however, was decide to disengage discussing it with you because I got tired of you being an asshole. You don't get to tell me how I should or shouldn't feel and what I should or shouldn't do based on what you think I should feel. That's not an "opinion"; that's being a dick.

Meh, I disagree. Berkut is being a guy. People who attacked him are being faggots* (i.e. garbon and/or Canadians).

*I don't use the term to mean a slur for gays, but a certain type of a guy who attacks a guy-style-logic in order to score some poon and/or be gender-progressive.

merithyn

One doesn't have to be sugardrops and rainbows to not be a dick.

Martinus

Quote from: merithyn on January 18, 2013, 04:31:10 PM

One doesn't have to be sugardrops and rainbows to not be a dick.

Conversely, one doesn't have to be a gutless faggot to make sense.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on January 18, 2013, 04:10:50 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:01:40 PM

Nothing to do with disagreeing with me and everything to do with Jake's modus operandi. His entire bit where he came in and blatnatly lied about what I said, then clearly went out of his way to completely mis0characterize my point in order to get you to act exactly the way you are acting right now.

:huh:

What the hell are you talking about? His post pretty much just summed up what I perceived from your posts while I read them. If he's mischaracterizing you, then you did a piss-poor job of explaining what you really meant. Because I gotta' tell you, Berk, I read everything you said, and I walked away with the exact same impression as Jake. Not because he manipulated me (thanks for thinking so highly of my own ability to read and interpret), but because it's how you presented yourself.

No, I did not. I stated what I thought, and you took exception. Jake then regurgitated what you wanted to hear, because he wants to be seen as the guy defending poor, defenseless Meri from mean nasty Berkut.

As far as my posts, I am perfectly happy letting them speak for themselves. When someone like Jake comes along, says I said something I did not, then spends a few hundred words telling me how what I said meant something entirely different from what I actually said, it really makes no diffrence to me that the person he is trying to defend turns around and says ZOMG THAT IS JUST WHAT I THOUGHT YOU SAID TOO! Of *course* that is the case - he is telling you precisely what you want to hear.

He said I said you were silly and over-emotional. I never said either of those things.

You implied both.

What you think I implied is immaterial. I did not say that, he said I did say it. Someone specificallly asked him what I said, and he specifically responded that I said something I did not. He didn't say I implied it, or meant it, or anything like that at all. He said "Berkut said Meri was being silly and over-emotional". I did not.

We can argue about what I implied, but that is irrelevant to what I said. Of course I did not imply any such thing at all, unless the only possible responses to your post is gushing approval and "implying that you are silly and overly emotional".

No, the words themselves were not said, but everything that you said and every way that you said it implied that very thing. If you don't think that I was being silly and over-emotional, then again, you had a piss-poor way of communicating what you actually thought. It's pretty hard to read your posts to mean anything other than "You're being silly and over-emotional".

If I thought you were being silly and overly emotional, than a piss poor way of communicating that would be a huge number of words none of which say you are silly or overly emotional. It is very easy to read my posts as something other than that, especially since my posts never say anything of the kind. I think you interpret NOT being blindly supportive and validating your views as being dismissive. It isn't - I just don't agree with you.

*You* are the one who made this personal Meri, with the "Fuck you's" and dragging it into another thread, and making this about me rather than what happened. My advice to you has been entirely consistent. If it bothered you as much as you say it did, then you should do something about it. If you don't want to do something about it, then it couldn't have bothered you that much because the actual risk to your "potential career" of dealing with  this professor is nil. If you say something to him, it will not effect your future career one bit. If you do not, THAT will not effect your career one bit - unless his behavior is in fact so onerous to you that it causes you to drop the class or not perform well.

Simply put, HE has no ability to materially effect your future career one bit...unless you let his behavior bother you. So either don't let it bother you, or take some action to address it. Is that really such a terrible attitude to take about this?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

I give up.

You win, Berk. :cheers:

Have a good weekend.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:48:20 PMNo, I did not. I stated what I thought, and you took exception. Jake then regurgitated what you wanted to hear, because he wants to be seen as the guy defending poor, defenseless Meri from mean nasty Berkut.

You're living in a fantasy land Berkut :lol:

Habbaku

Berkut wins Attritional Victory.

A shame that he rolled so poorly on the Martinus Intervention Table, else I think he could've scored a Marginal.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 04:48:20 PM
If it bothered you as much as you say it did,
Berkut, do you not see how stating things in such a way can be interpreted by others as questioning the reliability of Meri's account?