News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Should Meri report her professor?

Started by merithyn, January 17, 2013, 05:55:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well? Should she?

Absolutely! Teaching manners to cads is far more important than her potential career.
No way! Keeping your head down and your nose clean is the way to go through life!
Don't know what you're talking about and/or frankly don't care.
Wheee! A poll!!

Tamas

If your tolerance for ackward nerds unintentional insults is low, you might not be best positioned on the software field  :hmm:

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 11:32:33 AM
Quote from: Malthus on January 18, 2013, 11:28:46 AM
Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2013, 11:23:45 AM
  Not necessarily asking for better grades per se, but sort of giving them a heads up that I'd be "bugging" them from time to time to make sure I was on the right track and to explore any options for extra credit.

:perv: ?

I once had an old lady Spanish professor perv on me during her office hours.  Weird experience.

Is this how you met your wife?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2013, 11:11:06 PM
What is funny about this is that most people are saying EXACTLY what I said.

Yes, you should do something about it. Or alternatively, do nothing about it, in which case it must not really be all that bad.

Its not that its "not really that bad". Its that Meri should not play the martyr especially when her martyrdom wont do a damn thing.   Its going to be a long time before CS catches up the the rest of the world in terms of how females are treated.  Especially if your attitude is any indication of the norm within that industry.  ;)

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on January 18, 2013, 11:44:01 AM
Is this how you met your wife?

Can't imagine how old that gal would be now :yuk:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2013, 11:55:29 AM

Yes, you should do something about it. Or alternatively, do nothing about it, in which case it must not really be all that bad.

Its not that its "not really that bad". Its that Meri should not play the martyr especially when her martyrdom wont do a damn thing.   Its going to be a long time before CS catches up the the rest of the world in terms of how females are treated.  Especially if your attitude is any indication of the norm within that industry.  ;)

His attitude is, "If you think his behaviour was a big deal, do something about it", which would seem to not be something that is counterproductive when it comes to change.

And as far as catching up to the rest of the world is concern, I doubt that her professor is conducting female genital multilation or female infanticide.

Berkut

So you think saying something about someone who humiliated her, nearly brought her to tears, and caused her to consider not returning to class would be "martyrdom"?

I think the one who has some outdated notions about a woman's ability to take care of herself (especially Meri) is certainly not me.

I am glad Meri is, after much angst and drama, taking what has exactly been my advice all along.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: dps on January 18, 2013, 12:15:40 PM

His attitude is, "If you think his behaviour was a big deal, do something about it", which would seem to not be something that is counterproductive when it comes to change.

And as far as catching up to the rest of the world is concern, I doubt that her professor is conducting female genital multilation or female infanticide.

Yeah, I am clearly some kind of misogynist because I think people should not tolerate someone gender typecasting them.

What an asshole I am.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 12:23:22 PMWhat an asshole I am.

If you want to change that, I recommend that you 1) work on your listening skills; and 2) try to steer discussions away from right-vs-wrong adversarial debates.

Of course, that's only if you care :)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Maximus

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 12:22:22 PM

I am glad Meri is, after much angst and drama, taking what has exactly been my advice all along.

If that was your advice you communicated it very poorly. Jacob's analysis is pretty much how you came across, whatever the intent.

crazy canuck

That is where you draw the line on unacceptable behaviour?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 12:23:22 PM

Yeah, I am clearly some kind of misogynist because I think people should not tolerate someone gender typecasting them.

What an asshole I am.

If you say so.

But really you come across as someone that doesnt quite get it -  which was essentially my point.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 18, 2013, 01:13:11 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 18, 2013, 12:23:22 PM

What an asshole I am.

If you say so.

But really you come across as someone that doesnt quite get it -  which was essentially my point.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.