Why women don't study computer programming - AAR of my first class

Started by merithyn, January 14, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2013, 05:42:55 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2013, 05:40:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2013, 05:31:56 PM
My eyes glaze over when you mention reports to HR. :yucky:

Well I don't know what the actual process is, but I am sure there is one. Every school of higher learning has entire battalions of people to make sure nobody is being discriminated against, right?

HR is a department of useless devils.

:yes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 17, 2013, 05:40:49 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2013, 05:04:25 PM
Naw, the thing that is going to change that kind of behaviour is female profs in the faculty.

Not sure what that has to do with it.  There are female science and math profs out there, or does he require there actually be one within a mile radius of him personally?

I thought CC's point was that if there were more (or some) of them around this professor, they wouldn't put up with his behavior and he'd stop or get booted. After all, as colleagues there would be less of a power differential. That's how I took it anyway.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Well I don't know what the actual process is, but I am sure there is one. Every school of higher learning has entire battalions of people to make sure nobody is being discriminated against, right?

Fo sho.  At UD I always wanted to walk in the door marked "Department of Women's Affairs" and see if it matched everything I had built up in my mind :ph34r:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 17, 2013, 05:50:02 PM

Fo sho.  At UD I always wanted to walk in the door marked "Department of Women's Affairs" and see if it matched everything I had built up in my mind :ph34r:

You need some Space Moose.

http://www.hackcanada.com/canadian/zines/spacemoose/polisci.gif
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

crazy canuck

Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2013, 05:43:54 PM
Naw, the thing that is going to change that kind of behaviour is female profs in the faculty.

Not sure what that has to do with it.  There are female science and math profs out there, or does he require there actually be one within a mile radius of him personally?

I thought CC's point was that if there were more (or some) of them around this professor, they wouldn't put up with his behavior and he'd stop or get booted. After all, as colleagues there would be less of a power differential. That's how I took it anyway.

Yep, having more female CS profs would change the culture of that faculty.   

dps

Quote from: derspiess on January 17, 2013, 05:13:58 PM

But if I were Meri and the whole thing bothered me to the point where I was almost in tears, I'd meet with the instructor during his office hours & calmly, non-threateningly explain to him what he's actually doing. 

This is the proper way to handle it, IMO--if someone's behavoir is bothering you, and you don't think that there's malice on their part, just tell them it bothers you and talk it out informally like reasonable adults.  Do it in person, not by sending a note--putting it in writing implies that you don't want to actually discuss it informally, and for God's sakes don't call him out on it in class--that'll just put him on the defensive and make it adversarial, plus he won't want to be seen as giving into you by the rest of the class.

Berkut

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 17, 2013, 07:24:30 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 17, 2013, 05:43:54 PM

Yep, having more female CS profs would change the culture of that faculty.   

Wow - how did you suddenly conclude that the "culture of the faculty" needs changing?

It is one professor, and from what we know, nobody is even aware that he is doing anything at all wrong, since nobody that we are aware of has ever even complained to anyone about it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned