Why women don't study computer programming - AAR of my first class

Started by merithyn, January 14, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

I will say this - this is NOT the reason women don't study CS.

You are mixing up cause and effect Meri. You were treated weirdly because so few women take CS courses.

Although I have a degree in CS, and I never saw anything even remotely similar to what you described happen in any course I ever took. Any professor who made grossly sexist remarks like that would have been fired immediately if it happened more than once (the first time they get sent to sensitivity training, second time they are gone), even if they did think they were trying to help. Most universities I am aware of are hyper-conscious of discrimination issues.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Meri just picked the wrong class at the wrong time to be the only MLIF within hunting range, s'all.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2013, 12:57:55 PM

You are mixing up cause and effect Meri. You were treated weirdly because so few women take CS courses.

Although I have a degree in CS, and I never saw anything even remotely similar to what you described happen in any course I ever took. Any professor who made grossly sexist remarks like that would have been fired immediately if it happened more than once (the first time they get sent to sensitivity training, second time they are gone), even if they did think they were trying to help. Most universities I am aware of are hyper-conscious of discrimination issues.

The title was a joke, Berk. I'm well-aware that there are a lot of reasons that women don't take CS classes (though the Wiki article did rank this kind of behavior as one of the top four reasons).

So are you recommending that I file a complaint?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

Let us know when the first guy offers to help you after class, Meri.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 17, 2013, 01:04:00 PM
Let us know when the first guy offers to help you after class, Meri.

:huh:

One already has. Should they not have? :unsure:

Of course, it was my husband, but still.... :P

CountDeMoney

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2013, 01:02:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2013, 12:57:55 PM

The title was a joke, Berk. I'm well-aware that there are a lot of reasons that women don't take CS classes (though the Wiki article did rank this kind of behavior as one of the top four reasons).

I firmly believe that the author of the wiki article almost certainly wants us to believe this is one of the top reasons.

So are you recommending that I file a complaint?

If he actually said exactly what you said he said, of course you should.

0 rows returned

The Brain

Obviously you should complain. If you people don't have vyctymhood, what do you have?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Maybe just flashing her tits in class would relieve all the tension.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Quote from: derspiess on January 17, 2013, 03:08:14 PM
Maybe just flashing her tits in class would relieve all the tension.

:yes: and we want video of the event too. :)
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2013, 02:50:45 PM

I firmly believe that the author of the wiki article almost certainly wants us to believe this is one of the top reasons.

Actually, a study done by Women & Information Technology from MITPress says it is true. A bit about the study according to the authors:

QuoteComputing remains a heavily male-dominated field even after twenty-five years of extensive efforts to promote female participation. The contributors to Women and Information Technology look at reasons for the persistent gender imbalance in computing and explore some strategies intended to reverse the downward trend. The studies included are rigorous social science investigations; they rely on empirical evidence—not rhetoric, hunches, folk wisdom, or off-the-cuff speculation about supposed innate differences between men and women.

If? Why would I lie? :huh:

Given that I have to be in this man's class for the next 15 weeks, it seems like shooting myself in the foot to report him after Day 1. I'll consider it, but again, I question the wisdom of that.

Berkut

Quote from: merithyn on January 17, 2013, 03:41:09 PM
Quote from: Berkut on January 17, 2013, 02:50:45 PM

Actually, a study done by Women & Information Technology from MITPress says it is true. A bit about the study according to the authors:

QuoteComputing remains a heavily male-dominated field even after twenty-five years of extensive efforts to promote female participation. The contributors to Women and Information Technology look at reasons for the persistent gender imbalance in computing and explore some strategies intended to reverse the downward trend. The studies included are rigorous social science investigations; they rely on empirical evidence—not rhetoric, hunches, folk wisdom, or off-the-cuff speculation about supposed innate differences between men and women.

That isn't a study, it is a book. I have not read the book, but I suspect you have not either. The synopsis you gave doesn't say much aof anything about a primary reason there are not more women in computer science is because they are treated poorly in classes. Indeed, what it DOES say about it is this:

Quote..twenty-five years of extensive efforts to promote female participation.

I don't think "humiliating" women in class really falls under estensive efforts to promote female participation.

If? Why would I lie? :huh:

Who said anything about lying? Not me.

Given that I have to be in this man's class for the next 15 weeks, it seems like shooting myself in the foot to report him after Day 1. I'll consider it, but again, I question the wisdom of that.

Then you are part of the problem. If people do not report discrimination when it is experienced because it may personally make them uncomfortable, then I don't think they have much room to complain about it. As a society, we set up myriad means of addressing pernicious problems like gender discrimination. If you decide it is too personally risky or simply not worth it to use those resources, then why complain about the discrimination? It can't be that bad if it isn't bad enough for you to take advantage of the systems setup specifically to address the issue you experienced.

All that being said, you said that you don't think the professor was even being intentionally malicious - so why would you fear him treating you even more unfairly for pointing out to him that his behavior was not acceptable? Right now, from his perspective, he is A-#1 Feminist Champion for helping the poor girl feel comfortable in this alien environment of computers and hackers. How can you complain about his attitude when you won't even bother to tell him he has done anything wrong?

0 rows returned

MadImmortalMan

Pragmatism probably. Meri's objective is to learn the stuff and pass the class, not fix the guy.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

crazy canuck

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 17, 2013, 04:30:24 PM
Pragmatism probably. Meri's objective is to learn the stuff and pass the class, not fix the guy.

This