Why women don't study computer programming - AAR of my first class

Started by merithyn, January 14, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Today, I attended my first Intro to Computer Programming class. I was the only woman in a class of 18. Surprisingly, I don't think that I was the oldest in the class, as there was a gentleman who seemed at least my age, if not a bit older. The professor is a very large, very geeky, very socially inept man who studied computer programming when it was still called data processing (college in the 1970s).

The trouble started when I took my seat. I'd made an egregious error and sat directly next to a young man instead of sitting a seat away from him. (It was the closest seat I could get to.) He looked at me as if I'd just offered him a toasted tarantula, spun in his seat, and refused to look at me the entire class. Well all right then.

Then came the "social" aspect of the class. You all know how wonderful these are, right? Tell us about yourself, yadda yadda. In this case, the professor handed out neon yellow sheets of paper and asked us to write our names, addresses, and phone numbers on the top middle of the paper. Then, draw a 5" x 5" square in the center of the paper. (Older man in class, named Cleotis: "But I don't have a ruler!" Prof: "Just estimate." Cleotis: "Without a ruler, I can't estimate!" Prof: "Just give it your best shot. It's okay if it's not perfect." Cleotis: "It's not gonna' be perfect without a ruler.") Then, we were told to draw a self-portrait in the box. Half the class looked completely panicked; the other half thought this was hilarious. After the drawing portion of the class, he had us turn the paper over and answer a series of questions about ourselves. You know, thinks like what math classes have we had, what computer classes have we had, the names of any of our pets, etc. We turned the papers in (the kid next to me didn't even turn his head to look at me when he passed the papers my way), and then came the really fun part.

The professor stands in the front of the class and says, "Okay, now we're going to do the social part of things." He looks at me and says, "This is going to be easy for you. The social part is always easy for women. It's when we get to the programming that it's going to be hard because you have to focus on one small thing at a time, and women have a hard time with that. But that's okay, because you're going to have it so much easier with the social stuff, like now." :blink: "But there are some very good women programmers out there, because women are so organized!" :weep:

He continues with, "Okay [he says okay a LOT], I want you to introduce yourself to your classmates, and learn all you can because then you're going to be introducing your classmates to everyone else when we're done. Okay? Now, go." At which point, the kid next to me immediately turned his back to me so that he could converse with the very Auspie kid sitting next to him. (The Auspie kid is my favorite in the class. He's the only one who treated me like a person.) I looked around and everyone had paired up, leaving me sitting at the desk looking utterly ridiculous. For several minutes, I just sat there. Then I pulled out my phone and started texting Max, because, well fuck it, no one else was talking to me.

A few minutes later, the guy behind me tapped me on the shoulder and introduced himself to me. He's an older guy - well, older than the rest of the class - at around 25 or so, and very cute. He just moved to Champaign eight days ago from Panama so that he could take classes at this community college so he can transfer to UIUC. We chatted briefly (he hates the cold, he's living with a female friend at the moment, no family here with him) before I hit the death knell to the conversation: I brought up the fact that I was married. Almost as soon as I mentioned Max, the guy bowed out of the conversation. Kid you not, I mentioned Max, and within two more words, he nodded out of the conversation and started talking to the guy next to him again. Huh. Well, alrighty then.

The introductions come next, and the prof started with the Panamanian, who proceeded to introduce the guy next to him. Around the room they go, sharing this and that about each other. One guy had gotten up at the start of the introductions part to "use the restroom" and didn't come back until the introductions. He got to introduce himself, so he said his name and that he's a full-time student. Next! The Auspie guy was awesome! He introduced the guy next to me by telling everyone his full name (middle name, too), age, birthday, number of siblings (and genders), favorite video systems (and which one he owns), favorite video games, which systems his mother owned (Wii) and which ones he owned himself, what he's planning to go to school for, and his favorite color. One of the other guys said, "How'd you guys get an hour when we only got 10 minutes?" :lol:

The prof goes around the room and when he gets to me he says, "So, did anyone talk to you?" I said that yes, I'd met Christian, and indicated the guy behind me. The prof asked me to introduce Christian to the class, so I did, mentioning that he was from Panama, had just moved here, wasn't liking the cold - at which point the professor interrupted me mid-word to tell a story. He then passed on to the next guy. (And before anyone asks, no, I wasn't rambling. I had said exactly as much as I posted here before I was interrupted.) No one introduced me to the class.

The prof then moves on to start actually, you know, teaching the class. He starts out with a sports reference, moves on to a gaming reference, and from there jumps into some technical jargon about some scientific study about how programmers work. Finally, he commences with the teaching, which he did fairly well. I enjoyed the way he explained things, and he did a great job with entertaining questions and getting the class involved.

There are at least two guys who are obviously going to be messing with the prof throughout the class. They'd tried to sit in the back row, but the prof made them sit in the front row instead. They know quite a bit about computers, so this is obviously a pre-req for them and not something that they're going to learn anything in. That led to quite a bit of taunting of the prof, who mostly missed it because he's so socially inept that he didn't get it.

There's another guy who is absolutely adorable. It's obvious that he's an over-achiever type who just wants to get things done right, and the professor's inability to answer his very specific questions regarding how the grading is going to work was making him more and more agitated as the class went on. After class, he finally cornered the prof to get direct answers, but he left probably more frustrated than he had been. I felt so sorry for him because you can tell that he's going to be a mess until he gets those questions answered.

Most of the guys in the class are younger - 18 to 22 probably - with Cleotis (pronounced clee-OH-tis), Christian, and maybe one other guy older than that (he came in late and missed the introductions, lucky fuck).

The topic is interesting, and the personalities are a trip, but if the prof keeps trying to be so "inclusive" of me in the class, I don't know how long I'll last. It was pretty clear that he was just trying to prove that he didn't mind women in his class, but in doing so came across so horribly. I really have no idea why, but I felt completely humiliated by the end of the whole "social" part of the class. I just wanted to crawl into a hole. His social ineptitude should not make me feel awful, and yet somehow, it did.

So the next time someone asks, "Why are there so few women in computer science?" you'll know the answer.  :D
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Gonna download this to my Kindle and read it in 10 installments :P 

But seriously, this sounds nothing like any programming class I've taken or heard of.  What's with the "social" BS-- just get down to business.  From what I recall, female classmates did lag a bit (which was fine with me because it gave me an in with a freshman cheerleader in my C programming class).  Oddly enough though, any computer-related class I took from elementary school lessons to college was taught by a woman, and she was usually pretty capable.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on January 14, 2013, 08:20:09 PM
Gonna download this to my Kindle and read it in 10 installments :P 

:P It's my story; I'll tell it how I want to.

QuoteBut seriously, this sounds nothing like any programming class I've taken or heard of.  What's with the "social" BS-- just get down to business.  From what I recall, female classmates did lag a bit (which was fine with me because it gave me an in with a freshman cheerleader in my C programming class).  Oddly enough though, any computer-related class I took from elementary school lessons to college was taught by a woman, and she was usually pretty capable.

I'm hoping that after this class, that's what it will settle into. The "social" crap is just that, crap. It's supposed to be the way that everyone gets to know each other, blah blah blah. The prof said that if you get to know the people in your class, you're more likely to show up, so he wanted us to get to know our classmates.  :rolleyes:

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2013, 08:28:12 PM
What school is this?

The community college that feeds into the UIUC program. It's a really good program as far as the education goes. Obviously, there's still room for improvement on the inclusion part of things. :P

Ed Anger

Introductions.  :lol:

I should have the girls in my SCM class give me their digits. Yeah baby. Especially you in the first row. Right out of High School? Yeah, Professor Anger wants to talk to you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 14, 2013, 08:51:21 PM
Introductions.  :lol:

I should have the girls in my SCM give me their digits. Yeah baby. Especially you in the first row. Right out of High School? Yeah, Professor Anger wants to talk to you.

All on 3x5 index cards, with a picture attached and a list of whatever daddy issues they have.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Grey Fox

When they came to be Cops, we did nothing.
When they came to be Construction workers, we did nothing.
When they came to be Politicians, we did nothing.
When they came to be Programmers, we stood our ground.

Back to the Kitchen, women!
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Camerus

There's nothing wrong with a little socializing at first, especially if there will be any group assignments in the future.  Gaining contacts in a class can improve one's success even without group work, too.

Anyway, sounds like you may be an outcast for most of that class, not just because of your gender but because you're older.  But to be honest if I was an 18 year old boy I probably wouldn't know how to (or even want to) talk to a woman your age in my class either.   After all at university I was trying to get away from my parents.   :P

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Grey Fox

Quote from: Habbaku on January 14, 2013, 10:13:51 PM
What the fuck is an Auspie?

People who suffer of something that doesn't exist anymore, Asperger syndrome.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 14, 2013, 09:56:25 PM
There's nothing wrong with a little socializing at first, especially if there will be any group assignments in the future.  Gaining contacts in a class can improve one's success even without group work, too.

Anyway, sounds like you may be an outcast for most of that class, not just because of your gender but because you're older.  But to be honest if I was an 18 year old boy I probably wouldn't know how to (or even want to) talk to a woman your age in my class either.   After all at university I was trying to get away from my parents.   :P

Boy, you sure know how to talk to a lady :D

MadImmortalMan

That prof is so bad with women not out of some sort of misogyny, but out of a severe lack of experience communicating with them.  :lol:
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

merithyn

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on January 14, 2013, 09:56:25 PM

Wow. Just when I thought the experience couldn't get any worse... you come along. :glare:

:P