Why women don't study computer programming - AAR of my first class

Started by merithyn, January 14, 2013, 08:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Meri, that is a very entertaining OP on your class! Really funny commentary about some of the guys. Like the one next to you, avoiding you, turning his back on you. What a spaz. Then the guy behind you thining he's going to hit on you or something, and being so obvious about it. Or maybe he thought you were brushing him off because you mentioned being married. Enjoy your class!

Enjoy your VB class. I haven't used VB in many years but it i felt it was interesting and fun to work with. I also took some C+ courses but never used it in a job. I do little programming now, mostly a mix of report writing and programming on our Vendor's system when necessary. Mostly application support which doesn't usually include much programming, which I like better.

I work in IT and there are many women, though now thinking about it the network and technical types are mostly men. But in application support there are at least as many women as men.

merithyn

Quote from: KRonn on January 15, 2013, 03:10:25 PM
Meri, that is a very entertaining OP on your class! Really funny commentary about some of the guys. Like the one next to you, avoiding you, turning his back on you. What a spaz. Then the guy behind you thining he's going to hit on you or something, and being so obvious about it. Or maybe he thought you were brushing him off because you mentioned being married. Enjoy your class!

Thanks, KRonn. :hug:

QuoteEnjoy your VB class. I haven't used VB in many years but it i felt it was interesting and fun to work with. I also took some C+ courses but never used it in a job. I do little programming now, mostly a mix of report writing and programming on our Vendor's system when necessary. Mostly application support which doesn't usually include much programming, which I like better.

I work in IT and there are many women, though now thinking about it the network and technical types are mostly men. But in application support there are at least as many women as men.

Do me a favor and ask your women colleagues if they went through anything similar, will you? I'm hoping that this was an abberation and not something I'm going to have to deal with in all of my classes.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Zanza on January 15, 2013, 02:34:21 PM
Are you confusing VB and VBA? Because VB is object oriented.

At second glance, they may have heavily overhauled VB since I was using it (VB6). :blush:
Experience bij!

KRonn

I really would doubt that what you went through is normal, but I'm basing it off of when I took computer classes in school years ago. Maybe these days it's different with the more tech driven kids, but I'm wondering if you have an ususal group there, including the teacher, at least regarding how they feel towards women in a tech field.

I'll try and ask around with some of the women if they had similar experiences.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on January 15, 2013, 02:22:10 PM
I know what I'll do. Rather than hiding in a corner, I'll show up to my next class in this dress:

Nothing like going overboard, right? I bet I wouldn't have to do my homework all semester... and that'd be with the professor's approval. :D

If they mark on a bell curve you will be getting an A+ if you pick up your pencil from the floor every now and then during exams.  Hell, given your description of the prof you will be getting an A+ regardless! :D

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on January 15, 2013, 03:19:06 PM
Do me a favor and ask your women colleagues if they went through anything similar, will you? I'm hoping that this was an abberation and not something I'm going to have to deal with in all of my classes.

Face it, Meri:  you're the only piece of meat in the lion's den.  Young, horny lions.

Lulz, you're gonna get poked with a hard-on by midterms, just watch.

merithyn

Dude, I'm old enough to their mother, remember? I'm going to go with probably not so much. I'm cute to a man your age. To a kid that age? Yeah... not likely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on January 15, 2013, 03:38:26 PM
Dude, I'm old enough to their mother, remember? I'm going to go with probably not so much. I'm cute to a man your age. To a kid that age? Yeah... not likely.

I wonder what the M in MILF means?  :hmm:

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:39:35 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 15, 2013, 03:38:26 PM

I wonder what the M in MILF means?  :hmm:

:rolleyes:

CountDeMoney

Pfft, doesn't matter.    Boners know not what they do.
Besides, every young man has to at least try to score an "I'm-old-enough-to-be-your-mother-oh-god-you're-making-me-cum-again" touchdown once in his career.  It's in the rules.

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2013, 03:41:49 PM
Besides, every young man has to at least try to score an "I'm-old-enough-to-be-your-mother-oh-god-you're-making-me-cum-again" touchdown once in his career.  It's in the rules.

:lol:

crazy canuck

Quote from: merithyn on January 15, 2013, 03:45:56 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 15, 2013, 03:41:49 PM

:lol:

If I had known that being more explicit would have gained a good smiley instead of a roll eyes...

merithyn

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 15, 2013, 03:48:18 PM

If I had known that being more explicit would have gained a good smiley instead of a roll eyes...

I still think it's eye-rolling worthy, believe me. Though I do appreciate the effort. :D :hug:

Again, I'm cute, not sexay MILF-y. World of difference. And besides, can you imagine how awkward it would be if my son stops by my class for something and one of the guys in the class tells him his mother is hott? I think I'll stick to my typical, librarian-type office clothes and try to keep my head down. Seems the safest - and wisest - course. :P

CountDeMoney

Quote from: merithyn on January 15, 2013, 03:52:00 PM
I think I'll stick to my typical, librarian-type office clothes

You're such a fucking tease sometimes.

merithyn