News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Return to the Debt Limit Apocolypse Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 14, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

I just figured it was absurdist poetry, in the tradition of Ogden Nash.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2013, 06:37:48 AM
Gotta love the ability to blow up a procedural process on basic governmental accounting

It's not really even that.  It's an oddball, vestigial legislative artifact left over from a WW1-era bond drive.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Strix

Quote from: Faeelin on January 16, 2013, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 02:56:55 PM

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can't pay its own bills. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

So which payments do you want the US to default on?

We know it won't be Medicaid.  :secret:
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

derspiess

Quote from: Faeelin on January 16, 2013, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 02:56:55 PM

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can't pay its own bills. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

So which payments do you want the US to default on?

Go back to 2006 and ask Obama!  :yeah:

You guys are awesome.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

DGuller

There is a bit of a difference between piling on debt during the height of the boom, and during very weak economy.  Not that I agree with Obama in 2006, but the context is important.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2013, 04:12:42 PM
There is a bit of a difference between piling on debt during the height of the boom, and during very weak economy.  Not that I agree with Obama in 2006, but the context is important.

Still gotcha on that one ;)  :hug:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 04:14:48 PM

Not really.  Obviously I didn't recognize Obama's words, otherwise I would know what you were up to.  However, same words and actions can be adequate in one context, and retarded in another context.  You implicitly put the words of 2006 into the context of 2013, and that's what I reacted to.  Your gotcha relies on the context being irrelevant.

In 2006, we could've conceivably had surplus without destroying the economy.  We couldn't achieve that by turning on a dime, so denying the debt ceiling increase was not the way to achieve that, but the argument against debt piling on was strong.  In 2013, only retards and nuts think that we can have a budget surplus.

Scipio

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 16, 2013, 02:48:25 PM
Yesterday, the Heritage Foundation sent out a morning alert claiming that default is a "red herring":

QuoteThe U.S. is not going to default on its interest payments, Foster said, and "this assurance rests not on congressional action to raise the debt ceiling, but on the simple fact that the Treasury has far more than enough funds to pay all interest as it comes due."

(the source here is "JD Foster, PhD")  :D

This is wrong, as pointed out in my OP here.  It ignores the fact that interest payments are very lumpy and there are individual days where interest payment obligations far exceed the government's daily cash inflow.

Unfortunately there are probably some influential people in DC who actually read Heritage stuff and are under the horrible misconception that their "analyses" have some kind of rigor or credibility.
When I was in law school I was on the editorial board of the Journal of National Security Law.  We received one submission from a Heritage fellow that was so incoherent, so lacking in quality writing, and so devoid of citation that we just rejected it.  It was fucking offal.

Ever since then, I can't take them seriously.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Brain

Actually, offal isn't half bad. But I understand your point.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

derspiess

Quote from: DGuller on January 16, 2013, 04:21:58 PM
Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 04:14:48 PM

Not really.  Obviously I didn't recognize Obama's words, otherwise I would know what you were up to.  However, same words and actions can be adequate in one context, and retarded in another context.  You implicitly put the words of 2006 into the context of 2013, and that's what I reacted to.  Your gotcha relies on the context being irrelevant.

In 2006, we could've conceivably had surplus without destroying the economy.  We couldn't achieve that by turning on a dime, so denying the debt ceiling increase was not the way to achieve that, but the argument against debt piling on was strong.  In 2013, only retards and nuts think that we can have a budget surplus.

Yeah, keep talkin'  :lol:

Scipio

Quote from: The Brain on January 16, 2013, 04:29:52 PM
Actually, offal isn't half bad. But I understand your point.
Offal can be good to eat, but it's shitty policy.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

derspiess

Offal is unfit for human consumption.  But I'm glad they put it on the traditional Argentine asado-- I can go for the good cuts of steak while others are distracted by the sweetbread and that nasty braided small intestine.

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 04:47:56 PM
Offal is unfit for human consumption.  But I'm glad they put it on the traditional Argentine asado-- I can go for the good cuts of steak while others are distracted by the sweetbread and that nasty braided small intestine.

Ugh, Foreigners.   :yuk:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive