And we're back!

Main Menu

The Return to the Debt Limit Apocolypse Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 14, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 18, 2013, 06:15:12 PM
How do you kick the debt ceiling can down the road? :mellow:

You don't.  You kick the deficit reduction can down the road, which up to now debt ceiling has been a part of.

MadImmortalMan

Word is, there will be some stuff attached that Reid can't abide, so the Senate will not bring it to a vote. Yay, another standoff.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 04:31:36 AM
You don't.  You kick the deficit reduction can down the road, which up to now debt ceiling has been a part of.
How has the debt ceiling been part of deficit reduction up to now?

But that's my view, you can't kick the can down the road. You can with the deficit reduction but the debt ceiling is either you enable the executive to pay what you've told them to do, or you don't. The only way you could kick the can down the road was if you were talking about proposals to abolish it (almost no-one else in the world has a similar mechanism) or proposals to raise it so high it doesn't matter (the Danish strategy).

Incidentally this is what McConnell had to filibuster himself over. The Administration proposed changing the way the debt ceiling worked, so it was automatically approved and Congress had to accept or decline it - if they declined it the President could then veto that. So to refuse to raise the debt ceiling the House would need a two thirds majority. McConnell, during the fiscal cliff debates, wanted to stir up some trouble with the Democrats and, thinking they lacked the votes, proposed precisely this. It turns out the Democrats did have enough votes in the Senate, so McConnell had to filibuster his own proposal :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2013, 05:37:08 AM
How has the debt ceiling been part of deficit reduction up to now?

Back in the summer the GOP held a gun to the debt ceiling's head and said unless you cut spending we'll kill everyone in the room.

QuoteBut that's my view, you can't kick the can down the road. You can with the deficit reduction but the debt ceiling is either you enable the executive to pay what you've told them to do, or you don't. The only way you could kick the can down the road was if you were talking about proposals to abolish it (almost no-one else in the world has a similar mechanism) or proposals to raise it so high it doesn't matter (the Danish strategy).

I agree with this in principle.  When the legislature votes in a budget, they vote in a de facto increase in the debt ceiling.  I would have no problem with abolishing the debt ceiling altogether.  But it is a little disingenuous to say that the House voted voluntarily for the current budget.  They were blackmailed with across the board tax increases much the same way they previously tried to blackmail Democrats with a default.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 12:09:57 PM
Back in the summer the GOP held a gun to the debt ceiling's head and said unless you cut spending we'll kill everyone in the room.
Yeah, but that's the first time that's ever happened. I think saying 'up to now' the debt ceiling's been tied to deficit reduction implies more than catastrafuck one off.

QuoteI agree with this in principle.  When the legislature votes in a budget, they vote in a de facto increase in the debt ceiling.  I would have no problem with abolishing the debt ceiling altogether.  But it is a little disingenuous to say that the House voted voluntarily for the current budget.
We'll have to depart here because I don't understand how this works in the US. In the UK if the legislature fails to pass a budget there's an election until a majority can pass a budget. Whatever way of funding government the US legislature hoodwinks into existence should be funded. So abolish the debt ceiling or increase it beyond doubt like the Danes.

But I can't think of any specific spending cuts that the House Republicans have proposed in their last term - except for plan B, which ironically, was just a tax raise.
Let's bomb Russia!

Phillip V

Fiscal Footnote: Big Senate Gift to Drug Maker

'A provision buried in the fiscal bill passed this month gives Amgen, the world’s largest biotechnology firm, more time to sell a lucrative kidney dialysis drug without price restraints.'

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/20/us/medicare-pricing-delay-is-political-win-for-amgen-drug-maker.html
QuoteThe language buried in Section 632 of the "fiscal clif" bill delays a set of Medicare price restraints on a class of drugs that includes Sensipar, a lucrative Amgen pill used by kidney dialysis patients.

The provision gives Amgen an additional two years to sell Sensipar without government controls. The news was so welcome that the company’s chief executive quickly relayed it to investment analysts. But it is projected to cost Medicare up to $500 million over that period.

Amgen, which has a small army of 74 lobbyists in the capital, was the only company to argue aggressively for the delay, according to several Congressional aides of both parties.

Supporters of the delay, primarily leaders of the Senate Finance Committee who have long benefited from Amgen’s political largess, said it was necessary to allow regulators to prepare properly for the pricing change.

But critics, including several Congressional aides who were stunned to find the measure in the final bill, pointed out that Amgen had already won a previous two-year delay, and they depicted a second one as an unnecessary giveaway.

CountDeMoney

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 19, 2013, 12:09:57 PM
I agree with this in principle.  When the legislature votes in a budget, they vote in a de facto increase in the debt ceiling.  I would have no problem with abolishing the debt ceiling altogether. 

Agreed - once the appropriation is made, it's made.  Adding in a supplemental debt limit overdetermines the problem.
FYI - Judge Posner has come out publicly questioning the constitutionality of the limit.  It does seem to run afoul of the spirit of INS v. Chadha as it seems to give the Congress a quasi-veto over previously enacted legislation.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

They can't just abolish the debt ceiling unless Congress plans to start voting on every bond issuance again.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 20, 2013, 07:32:08 AM
Let's hear it for shareholder value.

Maybe they'll have extra budget for market research!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 21, 2013, 05:26:14 PM
They can't just abolish the debt ceiling unless Congress plans to start voting on every bond issuance again.

Says who?
My copy of the Constitution puts executive power in the executive branch.  And my copy of the US code imbues the Secretary of Treasury with broad powers to manage the public debt and carry out financing services for the government as required.

If Congress makes an appropriation and directs the executive to carry it out but does not specifically tax or attach a particular bond issue to the appropriation, then it is the obligation of the Executive to use its general executive authority to raise the required funds on the credit of the United States.  Doing anything else would involve faithlessness in execution of the laws and violate the President's Art II duties.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2013, 10:09:47 AM

Says who?
My copy of the Constitution puts executive power in the executive branch.  And my copy of the US code imbues the Secretary of Treasury with broad powers to manage the public debt and carry out financing services for the government as required.

If Congress makes an appropriation and directs the executive to carry it out but does not specifically tax or attach a particular bond issue to the appropriation, then it is the obligation of the Executive to use its general executive authority to raise the required funds on the credit of the United States.  Doing anything else would involve faithlessness in execution of the laws and violate the President's Art II duties.

Says Article 1. The executive can't buy toilet paper to wipe their asses without the approval of Congress.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 22, 2013, 12:53:02 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 22, 2013, 10:09:47 AM

Says who?

Says Article 1. The executive can't buy toilet paper to wipe their asses without the approval of Congress.

Move to strike as non-responsive.
The Article I authority exists once the appropriation is made.
--Joan Robinson