And we're back!

Main Menu

The Return to the Debt Limit Apocolypse Thread

Started by The Minsky Moment, January 14, 2013, 03:07:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 14, 2013, 05:44:36 PM
Quote from: Warspite on January 14, 2013, 05:39:30 PM
Instead of minting one trillion-dollar coin, why not mint a trillion dollar coins? #jobcreation

That's a lot of platinum.

Invading Canada and South Africa could secure the needed supplies, but a military campaign and occupation would entail significant cost.

Alternatively, melt down all upper-tier credit cards.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

jimmy olsen

Instead of minting one trillion-dollar coin, why not mint a trillion dollar coins? #jobcreation

Asteroid mining. :contract:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 14, 2013, 06:02:19 PM

Asteroid mining. :contract:

How would paying the Chinese to do that, help the situation.   :hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Phillip V

What is the likelihood that cred-reporting agencies will downgrade US rating?

Grinning_Colossus

Last time I seem to recall some of them downgrading us from something like 'A+++ would lend again' to 'A++ would obviously still lend again'... and nothing much happened.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

Phillip V

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 16, 2013, 03:08:06 AM
Last time I seem to recall some of them downgrading us from something like 'A+++ would lend again' to 'A++ would obviously still lend again'... and nothing much happened.
Only one did a downgrade in 2011 (S&P). But at the time, Europe was supposedly in great crisis.

Will the U.S. still be able to issue debt at low interest rates if the rest of the credit agencies and bond buyers lose faith this year?

CountDeMoney

Gotta love the ability to blow up a procedural process on basic governmental accounting into a partisan time bomb.  Yay, America.

The Minsky Moment

Yesterday, the Heritage Foundation sent out a morning alert claiming that default is a "red herring":

QuoteThe U.S. is not going to default on its interest payments, Foster said, and "this assurance rests not on congressional action to raise the debt ceiling, but on the simple fact that the Treasury has far more than enough funds to pay all interest as it comes due."

(the source here is "JD Foster, PhD")  :D

This is wrong, as pointed out in my OP here.  It ignores the fact that interest payments are very lumpy and there are individual days where interest payment obligations far exceed the government's daily cash inflow.

Unfortunately there are probably some influential people in DC who actually read Heritage stuff and are under the horrible misconception that their "analyses" have some kind of rigor or credibility.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 16, 2013, 06:37:48 AM
Gotta love the ability to blow up a procedural process on basic governmental accounting into a partisan time bomb.  Yay, America.

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can't pay its own bills. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 16, 2013, 02:48:25 PM
Yesterday, the Heritage Foundation sent out a morning alert claiming that default is a "red herring":

QuoteThe U.S. is not going to default on its interest payments, Foster said, and "this assurance rests not on congressional action to raise the debt ceiling, but on the simple fact that the Treasury has far more than enough funds to pay all interest as it comes due."

(the source here is "JD Foster, PhD")  :D

This is wrong, as pointed out in my OP here.  It ignores the fact that interest payments are very lumpy and there are individual days where interest payment obligations far exceed the government's daily cash inflow.

Unfortunately there are probably some influential people in DC who actually read Heritage stuff and are under the horrible misconception that their "analyses" have some kind of rigor or credibility.

We have that organisation over here.  :bowler:

edit:
Oops that's the Heritage Lottery Trust/Foundation.  :blush:

edit 2:
Then again the UK organisation has somewhat more ethical means of funding.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Faeelin

Quote from: derspiess on January 16, 2013, 02:56:55 PM

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America's debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can't pay its own bills. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America's debt limit.

So which payments do you want the US to default on?

DGuller

Are you trolling us, or are you really that fucking retarded?  Serious question.  For the last few weeks pretty much everything that you post on political subjects matches what the worst dregs of conservative humanity religiously believe and want to indoctrinate others with.

Valmy

The fact that we are here today to debate raising America’s debt limit is a sign of leadership failure. It is a sign that the U.S. government can’t pay its own bills. I therefore intend to oppose the effort to increase America’s debt limit.

Geez after 30+ years of pretty consistent leadership failure on this issue you needed this to get a sign?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."