You and new music (poll mainly for middle aged and older people)

Started by Martinus, January 12, 2013, 03:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of the following best describes you?

I like listening to new music, both in terms of new artists and new albums of more established artists
19 (59.4%)
I listen to new albums made by more established artists I am familiar with, but do not really listen to new artists
4 (12.5%)
I listen to older songs (e.g. from your "youth") mainly or exclusively
7 (21.9%)
I don't actively buy/listen to music
2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 32

grumbler

None of the above.  I listen to new stuff, but don't find much of it memorable (much like most music in any era is forgettable), but if given a choice, I prefer newer stuff by bands I already rate highly, or else I'd go back to the classics.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I like checking out new bands in my preferred genres. I'm blissfully unaware of what happens in the charts, nevertheless (though I sometimes check them out on Spotify).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I think everyone in this thread should listen to Ke$ha's new album, Warrior.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2013, 12:42:35 PM
On a different note, Marti's favorite news source highlighted that she's seen an increase in sales of her EP since calling Perez Hilton a faggot. I finally bought her EP this week so I guess I'm part of that alarming trend! :D

Well, believe it or not but I don't think I have ever visited Perez Hilton's website.

That being said, at least I know that this messy faggot exists. I have no fucking clue who the nigger cunt who called him that is, though.

Martinus

Quote from: katmai on January 12, 2013, 02:54:18 PM
Little of A & B so null vote

The poll options are worded quite precisely - your answer fits A.

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2013, 12:48:57 PM
Also, Seeds, you'd be upset if you image searched Jake Shears as one of the first ones show him showing off his pubes.

I like Scissor Sisters but liked their two original albums more than the recent stuff (although I like "Invisible Light" and "Let's Have a Kiki" songs.

Anyway, I always thought their guitarist is hotter.

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 13, 2013, 04:33:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 12, 2013, 12:42:35 PM
On a different note, Marti's favorite news source highlighted that she's seen an increase in sales of her EP since calling Perez Hilton a faggot. I finally bought her EP this week so I guess I'm part of that alarming trend! :D

Well, believe it or not but I don't think I have ever visited Perez Hilton's website.

That being said, at least I know that this messy faggot exists. I have no fucking clue who the nigger cunt who called him that is, though.

So edgy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Liep

Quote from: Tyr on January 12, 2013, 08:50:21 PM
I've nothing against new music in principle. Trouble is there isn't much out there that's even half as good as the music of 10 years ago. Not to mention earlier.

Stating this as an objective truth is quite telling. You'll be firmly in category C. :P
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

CountDeMoney

Neil

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 13, 2013, 08:25:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on January 13, 2013, 07:29:34 AM
So edgy.
And he wonders why he's never asked to bring a date to anything.
Because nobody wants to see him faggoting it up any more than he does normally.

Guess what Marti:  There are no slurs for white males.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

The Larch

I'm really curious to know what passes by "new artists" around here.

Scipio

I like new artists who revisit older schools of popular music.  Above all, popular music needs a good melody, and a classic universalism that arises out of unique specific examples of human interaction that we can all understand.  This is why catalog songs are so popular and successful; likewise, hard-luck songs, etc.

So, as long as a new artist can create a good popular song, I'll listen.  This aesthetic has exposed me to such diverse acts as Aloe Blacc, The Lumineers, Raphael Saddiq, The Menahan Street Band, The Budos Band, Sharon Jones and the DAP Kings, Jill Barber, She & Him, TB Ledford, Steep Canyon Rangers, Red Stick Ramblers, Tarbox Ramblers, Soul Rebels Brass Band, and many others.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on January 13, 2013, 10:17:29 AM
So, as long as a new artist can create a good popular song, I'll listen.  This aesthetic has exposed me to such diverse acts as Aloe Blacc, The Lumineers, Raphael Saddiq, The Menahan Street Band, The Budos Band, Sharon Jones and the DAP Kings, Jill Barber, She & Him, TB Ledford, Steep Canyon Rangers, Red Stick Ramblers, Tarbox Ramblers, Soul Rebels Brass Band, and many others.

Lumineers were a great performance in concert;  they had added a few more instruments, and it translated to a bigger arena sound very, very well.

She & Him strike me as a happier, peppier Hem.

Neil

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 13, 2013, 10:57:33 AM
Quote from: Neil on January 13, 2013, 09:55:58 AM
Guess what Marti:  There are no slurs for white males.

Cracker, honky, gringo...
Those aren't even slurs.  They're just cute little nicknames.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.