Is organized Christian religion in the West in its last throes?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 04:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 03:33:04 PM

Being the punching bag of Britain, France and Russia is completely consistent with bossing the Greeks, Bulgarians and Italians.

And I'm not sure how accurate it is to call Turkey a punching bag either.

They handed some nasty defeats to the Brits - Galipoli and the Mesopotamian Campaign.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Kut
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 03:44:42 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2013, 03:38:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 08, 2013, 01:19:09 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
well, not so much the results but rather the process. Abolishing slavery good, ending 700,000 human lives in war to do so is "what the hell were we doing" worthy.
:rolleyes:

Better to keep slavery then fight a war.  Or give a inch to religious people.

About time you come round and agree that slavery had religious sanction.

And scientific sanction.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 03:55:50 PM
They handed some nasty defeats to the Brits - Galipoli and the Mesopotamian Campaign.

Those were nice.  The problem is their defeats were so disastrous those couple nice wins did not come close to compensating.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 03:59:28 PM

Those were nice.  The problem is their defeats were so disastrous those couple nice wins did not come close to compensating.

What are you thinking of?

The only real disaster I can think of is the early Caucusus campaign.  They were driven out of Palestine and Lebanon but that hardly qualifies as a disaster.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2013, 04:02:06 PM

The only real disaster I can think of is the early Caucusus campaign.  They were driven out of Palestine and Lebanon but that hardly qualifies as a disaster.

Losing huge chunks of your country and having your armies melt away in massive desertions is not a military disaster?  And I am thinking of all of them besides Kut and Gallipoli.  Turkey itself came very close to no longer existing for a second there.  And also you have to remember this came right after the Balkan Wars, the losses in the military were so severe that in many villages and towns in Anatolia there were no young men left.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2013, 12:13:49 PM
People wondered "what the hell they were doing" when they abolished slavery, granted universal franchise, and gained independence from Britain?

So they got one out of three right. Boo-hoo.  :rolleyes:

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Barrister

well, not so much the results but rather the process. Abolishing slavery good, ending 700,000 human lives in war to do so is "what the hell were we doing" worthy.

And yet, curiously, the abolitionists also had religious sanction.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 04:05:24 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2013, 04:02:06 PM

Losing huge chunks of your country and having your armies melt away in massive desertions is not a military disaster?  And I am thinking of all of them besides Kut and Gallipoli.  Turkey itself came very close to no longer existing for a second there.  And also you have to remember this came right after the Balkan Wars, the losses in the military were so severe that in many villages and towns in Anatolia there were no young men left.

Certainly they lost the war and suffered greatly for it. But they were not the soft target (or "punching bag") that the Allies assumed they would be. In fact, their military acumen came as something of a shock.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 04:14:49 PM
Certainly they lost the war and suffered greatly for it. But they were not the soft target (or "punching bag") that the Allies assumed they would be. In fact, their military acumen came as something of a shock.

Which was weird it was not like they had recently been rolling over to people despite their defeats.  Their soldiers had shown they could fight pretty fiecely, particularly on defense.  Usually they lost because their leadership was so incompetent.  The addition of those German advisors helped solve that problem a bit.

Phillip V

Quote from: DGuller on January 08, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
Here's one thing I don't understand about WWI.  How did Turkey go from being a punching bag during the actual war, to routing everyone trying to partition it after the war?
:worthy: ATATURK

Martinus

Quote from: Phillip V on January 08, 2013, 04:27:20 PM
Here's one thing I don't understand about WWI.  How did Turkey go from being a punching bag during the actual war, to routing everyone trying to partition it after the war?
good you recognize the value of a secular state

Malthus

Quote from: Phillip V on January 08, 2013, 04:27:20 PM

Attaboy, Attaturk!  :D

mongers

Quote from: Malthus on January 08, 2013, 03:55:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2013, 03:47:59 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 03:33:04 PM

Being the punching bag of Britain, France and Russia is completely consistent with bossing the Greeks, Bulgarians and Italians.

And I'm not sure how accurate it is to call Turkey a punching bag either.

Yes, including my great-great uncle who died 3 days after it capitulated.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2013, 03:58:34 PM

And scientific sanction.

science is tentative, religion is revealed truth  :showoff:
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.