Health care, "thank you" gifts and corruption

Started by Martinus, January 04, 2013, 04:48:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Most (many?) surgeons in the UK run a private practice as well as their NHS work. If the NHS queue is intolerable one can jump it by becoming a private patient. More interestingly one can move in and out of private/public practice for a particular case. This is all perfectly legal but enables people with sufficient nous to get a first class service on the cheap while the masses make do with a second rate service.

Josquius

Quote from: mongers on January 04, 2013, 11:34:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2013, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2013, 08:50:59 PM
a friend of mine is a nurse in the UK. just the other day she was telling me about a absolute bitch Filipina nurse she has to work with. given hints the bitch has dropped my friend heavily suspects a lack of bribes and tips from the patients in the UK is a key source of her bitch powers.

:huh:

Makes perfect sense if you read it aloud.

:unsure: or just read it normally.
██████
██████
██████

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 05, 2013, 05:20:33 AM
Most (many?) surgeons in the UK run a private practice as well as their NHS work. If the NHS queue is intolerable one can jump it by becoming a private patient. More interestingly one can move in and out of private/public practice for a particular case. This is all perfectly legal but enables people with sufficient nous to get a first class service on the cheap while the masses make do with a second rate service.

Here, except in certain specialized circumstances, two-tier isn't allowed.

The problem in a fully socialized system, I have found, is that influence simply replaces money as the source of getting an edge on. You are buddies with the head of oncology at Big Hospital? Have a word with him and your granny gets to the head of the line.

Oddly enough, having influence and having money tend to be highly co-related.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on January 05, 2013, 06:50:03 AM
Quote from: mongers on January 04, 2013, 11:34:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2013, 10:39:03 PM
Quote from: Tyr on January 04, 2013, 08:50:59 PM
a friend of mine is a nurse in the UK. just the other day she was telling me about a absolute bitch Filipina nurse she has to work with. given hints the bitch has dropped my friend heavily suspects a lack of bribes and tips from the patients in the UK is a key source of her bitch powers.

:huh:

Makes perfect sense if you read it aloud.

:unsure: or just read it normally.

I think clarity is increased slightly if you put a definite article between given and hints.  I didn't register it the first time I read it.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Malthus on January 05, 2013, 11:32:52 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on January 05, 2013, 05:20:33 AM

Here, except in certain specialized circumstances, two-tier isn't allowed.

The problem in a fully socialized system, I have found, is that influence simply replaces money as the source of getting an edge on. You are buddies with the head of oncology at Big Hospital? Have a word with him and your granny gets to the head of the line.

Oddly enough, having influence and having money tend to be highly co-related.  ;)

Yes, there has been great disappointment here that "free" medical care has done nothing to narrow health differences between different social classes. I don't find it surprising (though 50 years of hindsight probably helps with that  :P), in a modern wealthy economy "poverty" is about so much more than simple want.

Sheilbh

I can't think of circumstances when you'd give money to a doctor or nurse in the UK. That would always look weird and probably get rejected by the recipient.

I tried to think of circumstances where you'd give a gift though and I could imagine it happening to midwives especially, or to retiring GPs. You might also give a gift to nurses if you'd been looked after well while staying in hospital or, possibly, something to a surgeon.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

I gave a gift to the surgeon who fixed my leg. I know my wife was giving the rehab floor nurses stuff.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive