Is organized Christian religion in the West in its last throes?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 04:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 10:56:16 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2013, 05:23:14 AM
Quote from: Phillip V on January 08, 2013, 04:57:25 AM
The will soon be another Great Awakening.

:cthulu: :unsure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Great_Awakening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Great_Awakening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Great_Awakening

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_Great_Awakening

wow, I actually came up with this independently on my own, they all intensify politics because religious influence on politics means that political opponents are no longer honest people who disagree but rather partisans of satan. It always culminates in some sort of conflict or resolutin (Revolution, Civil War or Prohibition) which results in people looking at the shambles wondering what they hell they had just done leading to a renewed secularization and atheism.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Barrister

Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 12:07:21 PM

wow, I actually came up with this independently on my own, they all intensify politics because religious influence on politics means that political opponents are no longer honest people who disagree but rather partisans of satan. It always culminates in some sort of conflict or resolutin (Revolution, Civil War or Prohibition) which results in people looking at the shambles wondering what they hell they had just done leading to a renewed secularization and atheism.

:yeahright:

People wondered "what the hell they were doing" when they abolished slavery, granted universal franchise, and gained independence from Britain?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Razgovory

QuotePoland wasn't really devastated by WW1. And there was no significant deathtoll.

Who cares what Europe does?  It's post-Nationalism, Post-Christian, and Post-Relevant.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Barrister on January 08, 2013, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 12:07:21 PM

:yeahright:

People wondered "what the hell they were doing" when they abolished slavery, granted universal franchise, and gained independence from Britain?

well, not so much the results but rather the process. Abolishing slavery good, ending 700,000 human lives in war to do so is "what the hell were we doing" worthy.

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

QuotePoland
Poland was occupied by Germany, Austria-Hungary and Russia from 1795–1914. By late 1915 Germany had complete control over modern day Poland. A 2005 Polish study estimated 3.4 million Poles served in the Armed Forces of the occupying powers during World War I. Total deaths from 1914–18, military and civilian, within the 1919–1939 borders, were estimated at 1,130,000.[14] The following estimates of Polish deaths, within contemporary (post 1945) borders, during World War I were made by a Russian journalist in a 2004 handbook of human losses in the 20th century. Total dead 640,000: including military losses of 250,000 Poles conscripted into the following armies listed below. POW deaths in captivity of 20,000. Civilian losses due to the war included 120,000 due to military operations and 250,000 caused by famine and disease.[15]
The ethnic Polish Blue Army served with the French Army. The ethnic Polish Legions fought as part of the Austro-Hungarian Army on the Eastern Front.
Austria-Hungary (Polish Legions): 67,000
German Empire: 87,000
Russian Empire: 96,000

So, poland had less casualties than the great powers and serbia and romania, but more than the USA.

Neil

Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 12:41:51 PM
well, not so much the results but rather the process. Abolishing slavery good, ending 700,000 human lives in war to do so is "what the hell were we doing" worthy.
:rolleyes:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 12:46:06 PM
So, poland had less casualties than the great powers and serbia and romania, but more than the USA.

Yeah but the casualties of Serbia bordered on annihilation.  One of the greatest rates of loss by any army in history.

How did we get on this topic in this thread?  Aren't we already talking about this in the thread actually about WWI?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

When you compare to state churches with 100% membership it is hard not to decline compared to that. The church still seems to be a powerful force in society, but certainly less so than it used to be. However, I don't see it in its last throes.

CountDeMoney

QuoteIs organized Christian religion in the West in its last throes?

The only thing I see is Martinus going into throes whenever something religious-related craws up his butt and dies.

DGuller

Here's one thing I don't understand about WWI.  How did Turkey go from being a punching bag during the actual war, to routing everyone trying to partition it after the war?

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 01:22:53 PM
Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 12:46:06 PM

Yeah but the casualties of Serbia bordered on annihilation.  One of the greatest rates of loss by any army in history.

How did we get on this topic in this thread?  Aren't we already talking about this in the thread actually about WWI?

He posted in the wrong thread.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on January 08, 2013, 03:31:19 PM
Here's one thing I don't understand about WWI.  How did Turkey go from being a punching bag during the actual war, to routing everyone trying to partition it after the war?

Being the punching bag of Britain, France and Russia is completely consistent with bossing the Greeks, Bulgarians and Italians.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on January 08, 2013, 01:19:09 PM

Better to keep slavery then fight a war.  Or give a inch to religious people.

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on January 08, 2013, 03:38:34 PM
Quote from: Neil on January 08, 2013, 01:19:09 PM

Better to keep slavery then fight a war.  Or give a inch to religious people.

About time you come round and agree that slavery had religious sanction.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Viking on January 08, 2013, 03:33:04 PM

Being the punching bag of Britain, France and Russia is completely consistent with bossing the Greeks, Bulgarians and Italians.

And I'm not sure how accurate it is to call Turkey a punching bag either.