Is organized Christian religion in the West in its last throes?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 04:19:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Maybe it just ebbs and flows, but I cannot help to notice that organized Christian religion in the Western world (especially the Catholic Church and the Anglican Church) is behaving recently as if its world was crashing down around it.

The Catholic Church has been significantly weakened by scandals all over the world, yet it seems to be lashing out more vehemently against modernity, driving away more and more worshippers even in countries thought to be strongholds of Catholicism to date (such as Ireland or Poland, not to mention France or Spain, that pretty much ignore its stances on things like gay marriage and abortion altogether).

The Anglican Church seems to be adopting a different route, and rather than trying to maintain universal orthodoxy, it is attempting to cope by introducing different rules in different countries (e.g. taking different stances on things like female/gay priests and bishops, or gay marriage) but this also does not seem to be working as the division seems to be tearing the Anglican Communion apart.

So what do you think? Is this another set-back after which these churches will adjust to modernity like they did in the past, or are we seeing their last throes in the West (with their centers shifting to the third world).

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Phillip V

Valmy

Does anywhere besides Europe count as 'The West'?  Also what brands of Christianity count as 'organized' since we are making that distinction?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 10:53:22 AM
Does anywhere besides Europe count as 'The West'?  Also what brands of Christianity count as 'organized' since we are making that distinction?

State church or catholic church in predominantly catholic countries.

Neil

It's weird.  He says 'The West', and then uses Poland as an example.

Nice try, Russian.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on January 08, 2013, 10:56:27 AM
State church or catholic church in predominantly catholic countries.

Oh...then I guess so.  A State Church is pretty rare outside of Europe isn't it?  Catholicism is getting slammed by evangelical protestantism in Latin America thanks to the might and power of American culture...which is pretty different from what you are claiming that their anti-leftwing positions are the problem.

Josquius

Christianity in general in Europe is certainly on its way out.
State churches however...I can see them hanging on a lot longer. They've the historic, cultural and nationalist elements behind them. They're bigger than believing in sky monsters, many supposed members of the churches aren't believers.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

It is mostly an American thing.  How was I supposed to know you are aware of historical eras of Christian movements in the United States?

Martinus

Quote from: Valmy on January 08, 2013, 11:08:13 AM
It is mostly an American thing.  How was I supposed to know you are not aware of some Christian movements in the United States?

I didn't know the details but I was familiar with the term and even if I wasn't, I could understand it from the context. :P

Phillip V

Quote from: Tyr on January 08, 2013, 11:01:18 AM
Christianity in general in Europe is certainly on its way out.
Nah. Faithlessness usually precedes some great war or depression. Then the Holy Spirit will return. :)