News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What kind of tourist are you?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 05:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of tourist are you?

When I'm on a trip, I'd rather go sight-seeing than sit and talk with other people
18 (56.3%)
When I'm on a trip, I'd rather sit and talk with interesting people than go sight-seeing
7 (21.9%)
I rarely if ever go out of my basement (Raz option)
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ed Anger

Quote from: katmai on January 09, 2013, 06:11:42 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on January 09, 2013, 06:09:27 PM
I like to gamble overseas.

Having unprotected sex with furriners :rolleyes:

I wore a condom when I nailed the French chick.  :rolleyes:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Malthus

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 09, 2013, 06:06:50 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 01:37:27 PM
Malthus: cheap.

He's Jewish.  :secret:

:yes:

No wait ... I'm going to stop out of this thread in a huff at such inappropriate behaviour.  :mad:

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 11:30:28 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 08, 2013, 10:26:32 PM
I don't understand how "meeting people" can be a goal for a tourist :unsure:

What's not to understand?  :huh:

Like how can people chat up strangers, the where and hows.  My personal experience is that I never talk to strangers. 

garbon

It is pretty easy. You open your mouth and start speaking. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Monoriu

Quote from: garbon on January 09, 2013, 09:30:13 PM

My experience is that most of the time, the people who talk to us when we are travelling are scammers  :hmm:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 09, 2013, 09:56:19 PM

My experience is that most of the time, the people who talk to us when we are travelling are scammers  :hmm:

No shit, man.  I don't trust people at the grocery store, I'm sure as fuck not going to trust someone that's got me pegged with a "HELLO MY NAME IS FOREIGN TOURIST" sticker on my forehead.

garbon

But there's a difference there if they are approaching you.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2013, 09:59:15 PM

No shit, man.  I don't trust people at the grocery store, I'm sure as fuck not going to trust someone that's got me pegged with a "HELLO MY NAME IS FOREIGN TOURIST" sticker on my forehead.

Suburban house mom, calm down.

CountDeMoney

garbon

CountDeMoney

Monoriu

Reminds me of my recent trip to France.  We went to a ski resort town, and my wife picked a B&B with very high ratings in Tripadvisor.  The host invited us for tea in the huge common room and talked about all the arrangements.

I knew that meant trouble on the spot. 

After a long conversation he finally showed us our room.  Just the bed and the bathroom.  Nothing else.  Not even a single chair.  Wi-fi doesn't work in our room; only in the common room.  Of course, he was the sort of person who only went to his room for sleep.  Everybody is supposed to stay in the common room. 

We were lucky though.  It was low season, and we were the only guests.  The host only appear to make breakfast for us.  So the "common room" became our private room afterall.  Actually we had his entire house just for ourselves most of the time.

Lesson learned: any B&B with a large common room is a big no-no.  Also don't just rely on Tripadvisor ratings. 

CountDeMoney

Mono, part of the "charm" of a B&B are quaint things like no Wi-Fi.  You know, to get away from it all.

I wouldn't mark a traveling Chinese couple anyway.  You people are too damned cheap.

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 09, 2013, 10:20:42 PM
Mono, part of the "charm" of a B&B are quaint things like no Wi-Fi.  You know, to get away from it all.

I wouldn't mark a traveling Chinese couple anyway.  You people are too damned cheap.

My wife is the sort of person who gets very uneasy if she doesn't have internet access.  If only for a few hours  :lol:  She won't pick any place without wi-fi. 

If we want to get away from it all, the easiest way is to go to China.  Everything is blocked.  No Youtube, no Google, no CNN, no BBC, no Facebook or Twitter.  Languish is ok though  :secret: