News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What kind of tourist are you?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 05:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of tourist are you?

When I'm on a trip, I'd rather go sight-seeing than sit and talk with other people
18 (56.3%)
When I'm on a trip, I'd rather sit and talk with interesting people than go sight-seeing
7 (21.9%)
I rarely if ever go out of my basement (Raz option)
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Valmy

I am sorry going to Finland in March for dogsledding is pretty hardcore.  I know it may not seem like it when you are a mighty macho man like yourself.  I mean Meri would have gone to a retirement home and hear stories from Finnish Grandmothers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 12:23:46 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2013, 12:16:55 PM
I did that in 2011 in Finland. Was fun, but not particularly hardcore. ;)

:mad: At the very least it must have been cold.

Nah - the hardest part is having to watch out for any flying dog crap.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2013, 11:58:48 AM
Well, there are good reasons for that ... locals are mostly busy doing stuff. What sort of person has time to sit around and talk all afternoon in a cafe? Well, for one, tourists.  :D

I don't know. Europeans strike me as exactly the sort who have time for such things. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2013, 12:32:06 PM
I am sorry going to Finland in March for dogsledding is pretty hardcore.  I know it may not seem like it when you are a mighty macho man like yourself.  I mean Meri would have gone to a retirement home and hear stories from Finnish Grandmothers.

:mad:

I'd have brought knitting needles! That's pretty hardcore! :contract:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Zanza

I am sorry going to Finland in March for dogsledding is pretty hardcore.
It's a lot less physically demanding than I would have expected before. The dogs do all the hard work.

Climbing or a long hike are more demanding. This summer I want to learn walking with crampons and ropes on glaciers and iced mountain tops. I guess that will be hard as well. ;)

Malthus

In Finland, they hitch the tourists alongside the dogs.  :P

As an aside, they were offering dogsledding at a place I went to in Muskoka with some friends ... we didn't do it because it was very expensive. We skiied on the same trails though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2013, 12:30:34 PM
I did it in late March, when it is already a bit warmer again, so the coldest was -25°C/-13°F. We got pretty good clothes from them which kept us warm. I bought a balaclava with fleece on the inside and that was a really good investment as the wind is very chilly when you cross a frozen lake or so. However, we slept in huts, not in tents, so at least at night, we had a sauna and a cozy place to sleep.

Hmm,Germans with adequate winter  clothing for North-Eastern Europe. :worried:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 09, 2013, 12:56:49 PM
Malthus: soft.

Mathus: not willing to spend $120 on a doggy ride.  :lol:

It looked like fun though.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

Malthus

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2013, 12:46:31 PM
I am sorry going to Finland in March for dogsledding is pretty hardcore.
It's a lot less physically demanding than I would have expected before. The dogs do all the hard work.

Climbing or a long hike are more demanding. This summer I want to learn walking with crampons and ropes on glaciers and iced mountain tops. I guess that will be hard as well. ;)

[mongers]
Better do that soon, before they all melt.
[/mongers]

[Hansie]
Just say at home, they'll be reaching your local within your lifetime.
[/Hansie]
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive