News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What kind of tourist are you?

Started by Martinus, January 08, 2013, 05:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What kind of tourist are you?

When I'm on a trip, I'd rather go sight-seeing than sit and talk with other people
18 (56.3%)
When I'm on a trip, I'd rather sit and talk with interesting people than go sight-seeing
7 (21.9%)
I rarely if ever go out of my basement (Raz option)
7 (21.9%)

Total Members Voted: 32

The Larch

Quote from: katmai on January 09, 2013, 02:16:36 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 08, 2013, 04:32:05 PM
Hey Larch, did you ever give an AAR on your West Coast Boertrek?

No he did not <_<

What the esteemed Alaskican said. I still owe you guys that.  :P

merithyn

Quote from: Monoriu on January 08, 2013, 10:26:32 PM

I don't understand how "meeting people" can be a goal for a tourist :unsure:

I travel to learn about a different culture. The best way to do that is to mingle with the locals, talking to them.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

garbon

Why not? Great way to learn of the best parts of a locale.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

What's not to understand?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on January 09, 2013, 10:07:06 AM
I travel to learn about a different culture. The best way to do that is to mingle with the locals, talking to them.

That I can get.  What always drove me crazy was my traveling companions meeting and talking to the other tourists the whole time.

'You are from Cleveland?  Hey we are from Texas!  How about Florence eh?  Italians are funky am I right?' :bleeding:

Talk about a waste of time.  It was like traveling abroad to eat Tex-Mex.

BUt my last big trip out of the US was in 2000 so I guess when I heard talking to locals I was thinking about going to meet real authentic Coloradans...OMG!  What a weird and exciting culture!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2013, 11:37:02 AM

That I can get.  What always drove me crazy was my traveling companions meeting and talking to the other tourists the whole time.

'You are from Cleveland?  Hey we are from Texas!  How about Florence eh?  Italians are funky am I right?' :bleeding:

BUt my last big trip out of the US was in 2000 so I guess when I heard talking to locals I was thinking about going to meet real authentic Coloradans...OMG!  What a weird and exciting culture!

When I was abroad at Oxford, we made a big point of making sure we talked to English students rather than doing the easy thing of talking to other Americans (as we were really concerned we'd end up doing the latter). Of course, I think the British students would have liked it better had we not been so garrulous. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on January 09, 2013, 11:37:02 AM

Well, there are good reasons for that ... locals are mostly busy doing stuff. What sort of person has time to sit around and talk all afternoon in a cafe? Well, for one, tourists.  :D

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

One of my best tourist experiences was sitting in an Amsterdam hash cafe and chatting with locals.  Two chicks getting stoned on their lunch break from beautician school, one dude getting stoned on his lunch break from working a jackhammer.

That's also one of the advantages of Jamaica: all kinds of people just loafing around trying to sell you ganja and nicknacks with nothing better to do than jaw with you.

merithyn

Quote from: Malthus on January 09, 2013, 11:58:48 AM

Well, there are good reasons for that ... locals are mostly busy doing stuff. What sort of person has time to sit around and talk all afternoon in a cafe? Well, for one, tourists.  :D

Retirees, for another, and they usually have the best stories. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

I like to be active during tourism. Hiking, climbing, skiing, swimming, husky tracking, safari etc. That would be a third category I guess...?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Dog sledding maybe.  If so, pretty fucking hard core.

Zanza

I did that in 2011 in Finland. Was fun, but not particularly hardcore. ;)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza on January 09, 2013, 12:16:55 PM
I did that in 2011 in Finland. Was fun, but not particularly hardcore. ;)

:mad: At the very least it must have been cold.

Zanza

I did it in late March, when it is already a bit warmer again, so the coldest was -25°C/-13°F. We got pretty good clothes from them which kept us warm. I bought a balaclava with fleece on the inside and that was a really good investment as the wind is very chilly when you cross a frozen lake or so. However, we slept in huts, not in tents, so at least at night, we had a sauna and a cozy place to sleep.