Katherine Janeway/Chakotay
6 (10.5%)
Jonathan Archer/T'Pol
1 (1.8%)

Total Members Voted: 56

PRC

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2013, 12:16:15 AM
Quote from: PRC on January 08, 2013, 12:14:24 AM
Picard is clearly the best with Kirk a moderate second and Sisko a distant third.  Archer and Janeway don't even make the scale.

Jean Luc Picard is a renaissance man... Captain, archaeologist, Shakespearean actor, legal advocate, wine connoisseur, barroom brawler (albeit a bad one)... all that and he's a better pilot than Riker too.

Yes but the question includes the 1st officer as a leadership combo.  In that respect, Spock is a major force multiplier over Riker.

It's a good point.

Riker makes women and androgyns wet and he's also a good poker player. 

Spock needs to get laid once every seven years and to make it happen someone usually has to die.  That's a plus for him.

Spock is a great first officer but does the crew trust him?  McCoy constantly curses him out in front of all the senior staff.  Riker has his ships trust. 

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2013, 12:29:01 AM
Let's see:

James T. Kirk/Spock - gung ho leader, likely to shoot first and ask later; might get you killed if a redshirt
Jean-Luc Picard/William T. Riker - Riker's a douche, but Picard is a good, levelheaded leader who genuinely cares about the folks under his command

I'll take Picard any time.
Picard was way too strict on the prime directive. If there were no loopholes available he was fine looking the other way on genocide on a planetary scale.  Kirk wouldn't stand for that shit.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 08, 2013, 01:23:19 AMPicard was way too strict on the prime directive. If there were no loopholes available he was fine looking the other way on genocide on a planetary scale.  Kirk wouldn't stand for that shit.

He was not as fundamentalist about it as Janeway. Picard followed the letter and spirit of the law whenever he could and didn't forget about the big picture (would this cause a major diplomatic incident that may make things worse than they are?).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: PRC on January 08, 2013, 12:38:10 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 08, 2013, 12:16:15 AM
Quote from: PRC on January 08, 2013, 12:14:24 AM
Picard is clearly the best with Kirk a moderate second and Sisko a distant third.  Archer and Janeway don't even make the scale.

Jean Luc Picard is a renaissance man... Captain, archaeologist, Shakespearean actor, legal advocate, wine connoisseur, barroom brawler (albeit a bad one)... all that and he's a better pilot than Riker too.

Yes but the question includes the 1st officer as a leadership combo.  In that respect, Spock is a major force multiplier over Riker.

It's a good point.

Riker makes women and androgyns wet and he's also a good poker player. 

Spock needs to get laid once every seven years and to make it happen someone usually has to die.  That's a plus for him.

Spock is a great first officer but does the crew trust him?  McCoy constantly curses him out in front of all the senior staff.  Riker has his ships trust.

That Riker character was ridicoulously cheesy. Or at least the choice of actor was.

Yet I'll go with Picard

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

MadImmortalMan

Sisko would be my first choice, but you had to throw in Kira with him. She's an unstable loose cannon likely to get me killed.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Razgovory

Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2013, 11:32:01 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 11:29:46 PM
Quote from: HVC on January 07, 2013, 11:26:42 PM
for the longest time i though levar burton was actually blind :blush:

On behalf of the generation that still remembers Roots, :bleeding:
Just to make you feel old: i was 3 when TNG came out :D

Didn't you watch Reading Rainbow?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 11:18:03 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 11:10:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 11:06:54 PM
Probably Picard.  That ship wasn't in the shit, most of the time.

Never understood why a ship like that--a warship with research functions, not vice versa, and sent off to the far corners of the universe, alone--would have families on board.  Talk about a fleet going soft.

I was talking Trek once and came up with the idea that a starship--being heavily armed and mobile--may be the safest place in the universe, given that all of the Federation's enemies have access to weapons that can kill a planet, and one of the most important of them also has cloaking devices that would permit them to attack without warning.

I mean, where would you rather your family have been during Fail Safe?  In the B-58, or in New York City?

You know those planes weren't going to make it back right?  Fuck, they'd be lucky if they didn't nuke themselves.  Apparently the airforce found it had a bunch of "time over" events, where planes suppose to be over a target when another bomb went off.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: katmai on January 08, 2013, 03:01:23 AM
Sisko.

The guy who will volunteer his crew for suicide missions? :P

He's the most badass, but not the one I'd want to serve under for a long, prosperous career. :P

Though for career stability, Janeway might be best: seven years marooned in space and Harry Kim is still an ensign. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Phillip V

Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2013, 03:39:16 AM
Though for career stability, Janeway might be best: seven years marooned in space and Harry Kim is still an ensign. :lol:

bamboo ceiling

Agelastus

A hard choice between the Picard/Riker and Kirk/Spock combinations; finally decided the Enterprise-D had better facilities and used that as the tie breaker. :bowler:

I think the people who would prefer to serve under Janeway need psychiatric help.  :P
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on January 07, 2013, 11:55:03 PM
@HVC - And we're all in such different life places!

That quite scary to think about, eh.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Viking

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on January 07, 2013, 11:13:04 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 07, 2013, 11:10:52 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on January 07, 2013, 11:06:54 PM
Probably Picard.  That ship wasn't in the shit, most of the time.

Never understood why a ship like that--a warship with research functions, not vice versa, and sent off to the far corners of the universe, alone--would have families on board.  Talk about a fleet going soft.

It wasn't supposed to be a warship, though.  DS9 makes clear that the Defiant-class was the first true warship Starfleet ever built.

meh, a mere White Star 1 wannabe, just like DS9 is a Bab5 wannabe.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Neil

Quote from: garbon on January 08, 2013, 12:33:57 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 08, 2013, 12:29:01 AM
Katherine Janeway/Chakotay - stranded her crew 70k ly from home due to incompetence, irrational and changing her stances all the time

It's called being flexible. :angry:
There's a reason that she got 'promoted' up from starship command.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.