Do You Share Dishes at Chinese and Other Asian Restaurants?

Started by Admiral Yi, January 04, 2013, 11:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like, you know, share

Of course, I'm not a Phillistine.  When in Rome.
34 (70.8%)
I ordered it, I'm going to eat it.  Get your grubby mitts off my food.
11 (22.9%)
I never eat that slop.
2 (4.2%)
What would Jaron do?
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 06, 2013, 07:32:50 PM
And then you stuff your pockets with breadsticks.

We used to have to watch my Mom's father at restaurants;  he'd try to snake tips off the tables on the way out.  Crazy ass Kraut.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on January 06, 2013, 07:17:36 PM
Quote from: merithyn on January 06, 2013, 07:12:38 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2013, 06:35:11 PM
I don't understand your post.  Do you mean in your experience with Chinese restaurants they just put the food in front of the person who ordered it, or do you mean that what I'm describing is no different than the standard Western practice?

There's no hesitation, no question of where to put the food, etc. It is exactly the same as when I go to Olive Garden.

When you're there, are you family...

I don't know. I don't have many meals cooked by family that are as shitty as their food.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

I'm curious Meri, where does the waiter put your lemon chicken to make it clear that it's yours?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2013, 08:11:29 PM
I'm curious Meri, where does the waiter put your lemon chicken to make it clear that it's yours?
One assumes right in front of her.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 06, 2013, 09:31:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 06, 2013, 08:11:29 PM

:yes:

At the top of my plate, right next to where they put my rice.

But I don't get lemon chicken. I get mu shu pork. :)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Martinus

Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 06:36:32 PM
I always thought people who ordered individual meals at Chinese restaurants were kind of weird.

Sharing food is barbaric. Plus, depending on personal manners of the people you are with, it may be stomach-churning (e.g. people who put food on their plate with their own fork or spoon  :yucky:).

Brazen

My former father in law had a brief stint reviewing Chinese restaurants for Time Out. By all accounts he ate some outstanding meals. Then he invited us along to a review of a Kosher Chinese in Golders Green, where all the other diners were groups of male Orthodox Jews.

Worst. Chinese. Ever.

Admiral Yi

One assumes (correctly) that that position is already filled by her eating plate.

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2013, 07:45:39 AM

One assumes (correctly) that that position is already filled by her eating plate.

Does the "eating plate" stay there for the entire dinner or is it being replaced after each dish/course?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 08:38:33 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 07, 2013, 07:45:39 AM

Does the "eating plate" stay there for the entire dinner or is it being replaced after each dish/course?

:rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 08:38:33 AM

Some places will bring separate plates for appetizers and for the main course.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 05:15:41 AM
I always thought people who ordered individual meals at Chinese restaurants were kind of weird.

Sharing food is barbaric. Plus, depending on personal manners of the people you are with, it may be stomach-churning (e.g. people who put food on their plate with their own fork or spoon  :yucky:).

So how dry is your skin?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2013, 09:37:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 05:15:41 AM

So how dry is your skin?

I didn't get the reference.