Do You Share Dishes at Chinese and Other Asian Restaurants?

Started by Admiral Yi, January 04, 2013, 11:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like, you know, share

Of course, I'm not a Phillistine.  When in Rome.
34 (70.8%)
I ordered it, I'm going to eat it.  Get your grubby mitts off my food.
11 (22.9%)
I never eat that slop.
2 (4.2%)
What would Jaron do?
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Admiral Yi

Based on a Back Room conversation about ordering at Chinese restaurants.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Zanza

Depends. If the food is served at the center of the table, meant to be shared, I share. If it is served as a single plate per customer, I don't share. Everything else would be strange.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Some Chinese places will do a "combo plate", with 3 different dishes on your plate.  That of course is eaten individually.

But other than that - of course it's family style.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Have never eaten Chinese food - in a restaurant or as take-out - family style. Not something anyone I know does.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2013, 12:11:30 PM
Some Chinese places will do a "combo plate", with 3 different dishes on your plate.  That of course is eaten individually.

To be clear, I'm not asking about places at the mall food court.  I'm talking about sit down restaurants with a waiter.

Maximus

Never knew it was an option. But then I don't think I've eaten in a chinese restaurant that wasn't a buffet.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 04, 2013, 12:30:20 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2013, 12:11:30 PM

To be clear, I'm not asking about places at the mall food court.  I'm talking about sit down restaurants with a waiter.

I'm talking about sit-down joints too.

But mind you the places with "combo plates" I'm thinking of are all shitty northern-Canadian restaurants.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Depends on where I go, what is ordered (and whether it comes on a plate or in a serving dish with plates extra), and with who I'm there.

Though with a larger group we might order platters (at any restaurant, not just Asian) plus some extra dishes for everyone to mix and match.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Malthus

I always assumed "family style" was how it was eaten. Everyone I know generally eats it that way. In Chinese restaurants, you get a serving dish and seperate plates.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius