Do You Share Dishes at Chinese and Other Asian Restaurants?

Started by Admiral Yi, January 04, 2013, 11:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like, you know, share

Of course, I'm not a Phillistine.  When in Rome.
34 (70.8%)
I ordered it, I'm going to eat it.  Get your grubby mitts off my food.
11 (22.9%)
I never eat that slop.
2 (4.2%)
What would Jaron do?
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Grey Fox

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 09:42:57 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on January 07, 2013, 09:37:28 AM
Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 05:15:41 AM
Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 06:36:32 PM
I always thought people who ordered individual meals at Chinese restaurants were kind of weird.

Sharing food is barbaric. Plus, depending on personal manners of the people you are with, it may be stomach-churning (e.g. people who put food on their plate with their own fork or spoon  :yucky:).

So how dry is your skin?

I didn't get the reference.

You're a clean freak, you shower too often therefor your skin might be dry. I'm asking how much?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

Quote from: Martinus on January 07, 2013, 05:15:41 AM
Quote from: sbr on January 06, 2013, 06:36:32 PM
I always thought people who ordered individual meals at Chinese restaurants were kind of weird.

Sharing food is barbaric. Plus, depending on personal manners of the people you are with, it may be stomach-churning (e.g. people who put food on their plate with their own fork or spoon  :yucky:).

:yes:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

frunk

OvB's post matches with a book I read on Chinatowns from ~10-15 years ago.  It describes them as entry points for new, poor immigrants.  If they or (more frequently) their kids achieve some measure of success they leave for other parts of the US and start businesses (amongst them Ameri-Chinese restaurants).  At that point they are pretty well Americanized.

If I remember right the book described this as the old pattern, and that fewer immigrants were sticking to the Chinatowns as long (or at all).