Do You Share Dishes at Chinese and Other Asian Restaurants?

Started by Admiral Yi, January 04, 2013, 11:56:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Like, you know, share

Of course, I'm not a Phillistine.  When in Rome.
34 (70.8%)
I ordered it, I'm going to eat it.  Get your grubby mitts off my food.
11 (22.9%)
I never eat that slop.
2 (4.2%)
What would Jaron do?
1 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 48

katmai

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2013, 07:43:05 PM
I never had Chinese before coming to Korea, don't know how Chinese restaurants are set up back in RI.

Unless I'm at one for lunch and just order a plate of fired rice, then of course. Nothing else comes in serving size for one, so you have to go with at least one other person and share.
What in the Fuck.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2013, 09:48:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2013, 06:15:59 PM
Anyhow, if any of all y'all have reason to come to Vancouver I'll take you to what passes for good Chinese food here :)

<_<

What? The offer is good for you too.

When are you planning on coming through next time?

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

katmai

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2013, 09:53:26 PM
Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2013, 09:48:46 PM
Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2013, 06:15:59 PM
Anyhow, if any of all y'all have reason to come to Vancouver I'll take you to what passes for good Chinese food here :)

<_<

What? The offer is good for you too.

When are you planning on coming through next time?

The glare is that offer wasn't standing last time i was there!
:P

HisMajestyBOB

I share all the time.
But then, these are Chinese restaurants in China, so it's expected.  :P
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Valmy

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2013, 06:08:22 PM
Yeah, most of the stuff that's being served in North America as Chinese food - especially the take out and delivery stuff - bears little resemblance to Chinese food in China. That doesn't make it bad or wrong, but it's definitely a different evolution of Chinese cooking - much like Tex-Mex and Mexicali food compares to Mexican food, the evolution of the pizza in the US etc.

Ok but this is completely different.  We do not have Mexicans from the Mexican interior moving here and opening Tex-Mex places, those are run by, you know, Texans and Tejanos considering it is our food.  We do not have Italians immigrating over here to open Papa Johns joints where most of their clientele are other Italian Immigrants.

I still just do not understand why all these Chinese Immigrants come here and inexplicably open restaurants serving weird food that is dramatically different from the food they know and claim it is theirs.  Then they all go eat at these weird restaurants pretending to be their food.  It just makes no sense.  And for reasons that are mysterious they do not do this in Canada.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

I can't really comment on all the recent Chinese immigrants to Texas opening American style Chinese buffet restaurants patronized by other recent Chinese immigrants, as I have no experience with the phenomenon.

I agree with you, however, that it sounds bizarre.

Jacob

Quote from: katmai on January 04, 2013, 09:55:18 PMThe glare is that offer wasn't standing last time i was there!
:P

That's a long time ago. You'll just have to come back.

katmai

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on January 04, 2013, 09:19:20 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 04, 2013, 07:55:10 PM
Not many Asians in RI.

Had some terriaki chicken on a stick at a Chinese restaurant and bar we'd drink at on Saturday nights, but I never actually ate there.

Sorry but that's not a real explanation - the lack of asians front - especially since you were at a Chinese restaurant.

No shit.  I'd bet WV has fewer Asians than RI and we had at least 6 or 7 Chinese places in town that I knew of.  And I'd hope he would have ventured out of RI on occasion, though I guess it would explain a lot if he hadn't.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

My town of 30k has two that I know of.  Never went to them. Of course I've been out of RI, been all over New England. Went to college in upstate NY for 3 semesters, worked in the Carolinas for two summers. Been to Pennsylvania and Florida on vacations. I've been to Nashville a couple of times.

Ate at a Japanese place last year while I was back. It was individually served.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Quote from: Jacob on January 04, 2013, 06:41:18 PMLike I said, there are exceptions. However, the bulk of restaurants in China serve their food that way - from hole-in-the-wall eateries with plastic chairs and sloppy floors to high end restaurants in fancy places. I figure that sets the standard.
I wouldn't say that a standard for "restaurants in China" and "Chinese restaurants" (especially in the context meant by Yi's poll) is necessarily the same though.

I haven't been to a Chinese restaurant where I can personally pick a dog or a cat from a cage to eat either.

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 05, 2013, 12:55:27 AM
My town of 30k has two that I know of.  Never went to them. Of course I've been out of RI, been all over New England. Went to college in upstate NY for 3 semesters, worked in the Carolinas for two summers. Been to Pennsylvania and Florida on vacations. I've been to Nashville a couple of times.

Ate at a Japanese place last year while I was back. It was individually served.

Every Chinese restaurant I have been to had dishes served individually by default. There were however dishes that could serve more people and you could always ask for some dishes/appetisers to be served on a plate for people to share.

The same is true for most non-Chinese restaurants I have be to, too. I believe this is a standard for pretty much every restaurant in the Western world.

That's why I am challenging Jacob's "I-have-been-to-the-tiger-penis-and-dog-eating-third-world-and-know-how-their-shit-food-should-be-eaten-you-philistines" position in this thread.

Martinus

Incidentally, there are not many things more disgusting than seeing someone eating Chinese food the "traditional" (?) way of lifting a bowl of food under his or her chin and then shoveling it swiftly into their mouth with chopsticks.  :yucky:

Admiral Yi

It's a position that the overwhelming majority of the respondents to this poll have agreed with.